IGNORED

Summer 21 Transfer Window

On 05/03/2021 at 14:04, dunlopp9987 said:

Pickford has performed better as of late, but say we make the top 4 and are playing at Bayern in a knockout stage fixture. Does anyone here really have any confidence in him in a big moment like that? If I had my druthers, I'd want us to go big and get someone who has had experience in, and won, some big games. Onana, for instance

New expression from across the pond! Visited the US many times, never heard it. Should be used more on TT!!

On 05/03/2021 at 13:46, Matt said:

Think that’s more because other areas needed addressing with more urgency than he doesn’t want one 

Maybe but I don't see that in his tactics. Its a bit chicken or egg but Iwobi could play that role of he wanted him to but he is always cutting inside, same with James. I think he wants to play with wide number 10s or inside forwards rather than out and out wingers. 

I don't think we will see a player come here as either a left or right winger and get chalk on their boots. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Maybe but I don't see that in his tactics. Its a bit chicken or egg but Iwobi could play that role of he wanted him to but he is always cutting inside, same with James. I think he wants to play with wide number 10s or inside forwards rather than out and out wingers. 

I don't think we will see a player come here as either a left or right winger and get chalk on their boots. 

Wouldn’t mind a left footed richarlison like player who can be more of threat to goal.

With how we play at the moment a RB who really bombs on could leave us very open to the counter down that side.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Well...that's a twist. Here we've all been saying that the one spot that won't need strengthening in the summer is center half. If this is true, then I think our center half situation next season could be: new signing, Godfrey, Keane...and then either 1 of Mina, Holgate or Branthwaite as cover. And then either selling or loaning the other two?

9 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Well...that's a twist. Here we've all been saying that the one spot that won't need strengthening in the summer is center half. If this is true, then I think our center half situation next season could be: new signing, Godfrey, Keane...and then either 1 of Mina, Holgate or Branthwaite as cover. And then either selling or loaning the other two?

It’s fiction. No way we’re looking at CB at the moment 

Right Back, Right Wing, Creative Midfielder, Striker (When Kean goes), and possibly Left Wing / Striker back up to Richarlison.

Those are the necessities, with Bernard, Cenk, King, and hopefully Iwobi and Delph going, as well as other players out of contract we have some flexibility on wages to bring in quality players in those key areas. 

17 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Right Back, Right Wing, Creative Midfielder, Striker (When Kean goes), and possibly Left Wing / Striker back up to Richarlison.

Those are the necessities, with Bernard, Cenk, King, and hopefully Iwobi and Delph going, as well as other players out of contract we have some flexibility on wages to bring in quality players in those key areas. 

Iwobi's not going anywhere

The problem, as it always is when we find a player isn’t good enough, is to find someone who does think they are good enough. And that someone be willing to throw enough cash at the player to convince them to move. 
Hence the problem we’ve had for the last few years. And why players like Besic, Bolasie, Tosun and Walcott are still on the books.
Though I’m still convinced Walcott could have been a useful option for us this season. He’s still more useful than Iwobi and Bernard as an attacking threat. 

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

The problem, as it always is when we find a player isn’t good enough, is to find someone who does think they are good enough. And that someone be willing to throw enough cash at the player to convince them to move. 
Hence the problem we’ve had for the last few years. And why players like Besic, Bolasie, Tosun and Walcott are still on the books.
Though I’m still convinced Walcott could have been a useful option for us this season. He’s still more useful than Iwobi and Bernard as an attacking threat. 

Besic is/was a relatively low gamble and hasn’t been on mega wages.

The others are simply ill advised panic buys where others clubs knew we had money and couldn’t spend it fast enough.

Ancelotti is the variable to all prior situations - the caliber of player he can attract ( even without Europe ) far exceeds that of managers past.

This year I believe has been an improvement - a couple more windows and tweaks I think we will be there or there abouts.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

The others are simply ill advised panic buys where others clubs knew we had money and couldn’t spend it fast enough.

Ancelotti is the variable to all prior situations - the caliber of player he can attract ( even without Europe ) far exceeds that of managers past.

This year I believe has been an improvement - a couple more windows and tweaks I think we will be there or there abouts.

The problem with besic is he was extended his contract when we didn’t have a permanent manager.  It was stupid.  They should have waited until we got someone and let them decide. His first contract is what you said low gamble low wages, the second one was a complete waste.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The problem with besic is he was extended his contract when we didn’t have a permanent manager.  It was stupid.  They should have waited until we got someone and let them decide. His first contract is what you said low gamble low wages, the second one was a complete waste.

He was decent enough at the time though and looked promising. The club should have gotten a fee for him a season or two ago, thats poor business in my opinion. I think in the games Delph has featured Besic could and would have done no worse.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

He was decent enough at the time though and looked promising. The club should have gotten a fee for him a season or two ago, thats poor business in my opinion. I think in the games Delph has featured Besic could and would have done no worse.

I think Besic turned down permanent moves to Middlesbrough and Sheff Utd.

8 hours ago, Btay said:

Yeah, he was minimal risk when we signed him. But some clown agreed to give him a six year deal. Six years!!

He’s not been on mega wages, but he’s also been on too much for someone else to tempt him away. He will have only been offered less than his current wage. 
If his reported contract is right (£9,230,000 over six years) he’s earned about a £165k per appearance for Everton. 
That’s ridiculous!

The Josh King deal is how you buy players with minimal risk. 
Ironically, King and Bešić will probably leave the club at the same time. 

3 hours ago, Btay said:

They won’t have even been asking for a fee. In the accounts he didn’t owe the club anything by then. But no one wants to give him £30k per week, and he doesn’t want to take a cut. He’s fully entitled to do that, I have an issue only with the people who gave him that contract. 

11 hours ago, StevO said:

Yeah, he was minimal risk when we signed him. But some clown agreed to give him a six year deal. Six years!!

He’s not been on mega wages, but he’s also been on too much for someone else to tempt him away. He will have only been offered less than his current wage. 
If his reported contract is right (£9,230,000 over six years) he’s earned about a £165k per appearance for Everton. 
That’s ridiculous!

The Josh King deal is how you buy players with minimal risk. 
Ironically, King and Bešić will probably leave the club at the same time. 

I get what you are saying but Besic was young and in decent form when he got his contact. Josh king is a 29 year old we signed from a lower league, with 6 months left on his contract and a striker who hadn’t scored a goal all season for his club. Besic was young promising player who had a strong World Cup and showed potential. Cannot compare the two situations.

16 hours ago, Btay said:

I get what you are saying but Besic was young and in decent form when he got his contact. Josh king is a 29 year old we signed from a lower league, with 6 months left on his contract and a striker who hadn’t scored a goal all season for his club. Besic was young promising player who had a strong World Cup and showed potential. Cannot compare the two situations.

He wasn’t in decent enough form to earn a six year contract. Who even gives six year contracts out?

My point in the comparison was how you handle risk in what’s offered to two players. 
King doesn’t work out he leaves in the summer. Besic hasn’t worked out and he’s been on the wage bill for six years. He started out as little risk and then we gave him a very long extension. What we’ve done with King is low risk. What we’ve done with Besic has been very expensive.

7 hours ago, StevO said:

He wasn’t in decent enough form to earn a six year contract. Who even gives six year contracts out?

My point in the comparison was how you handle risk in what’s offered to two players. 
King doesn’t work out he leaves in the summer. Besic hasn’t worked out and he’s been on the wage bill for six years. He started out as little risk and then we gave him a very long extension. What we’ve done with King is low risk. What we’ve done with Besic has been very expensive.

Understand that. 6 years is a strange deal but I guess that was at a time in which we as a club where extremely sloppy with some of our decisions. I don’t think Brands would have sanctioned it and I’m glad we don’t go throwing silly deals around.

#1 for me is another strong and creative option in midfield, to replace Sigurdsson and/or Gomes. I would be looking for a Jack Grealish-type player, or an up-and-coming talent such as Dwight McNeil. With a bit of luck Gbamin will be like a new signing.

Next in priority would be RB, and again I'd go for someone young along the lines of Achraf Hakimi, someone with pace who can represent the same kind of threat as Coleman in his prime.

Up-front, I would go against popular opinion and convince Moise Kean to stay. If he had never been associated with Everton and was a PSG player, we'd all be clamoring for a player like that. The truth is that he's ours. Surely we can convince him to stay and bring him into the fold.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I would prefer to cash in on Pickford. My suggestion is Aaron Ramsdale because he's young, has Prem experience, and (I believe I'm right in saying) has played in the same England U-21 squad as Godfrey. If we looked overseas, I would consider Maignan at Lille. Will Virginia have more opportunities this season? I'd like to see whether he warrants the spot as backup keeper.

• 4 weeks later...

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/15/everton-unlikely-to-sign-new-striker-or-midfielder-says-carlo-ancelotti

Bit of gamesmanship re: Kean?

We may not be replacing Gbamin, but really hope we go for an elite young CM (a Gravenberch or Camavinga).  Sick of all of ours losing one on ones or constantly cycling it straight backwards.

5 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/15/everton-unlikely-to-sign-new-striker-or-midfielder-says-carlo-ancelotti

We may not be replacing Gbamin, but really hope we go for an elite young CM (a Gravenberch or Camavinga).  Sick of all of ours losing one on ones or constantly cycling it straight backwards.

More so Gbamin and for his mental state. I think we need a CM though. 

I'm not entirely sure Moise kean is Poch's "type" of player/professional as well. I would have no issue if we sold him but also no issue if he stays - as long as he gets his head down and puts in the effort.

6 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

What a misleading headline (shock, horror!). He says we won't sign a Gbamin replacement, not that we won't sign a midfielder. He also says that we're willing to negotiate on Kean, so if he goes we will be signing a striker.

What complete crap that article is.

17 minutes ago, c1982 said:

No link but I’m sure this is a name that’s been linked to Brands in the past - could be a name to look out for this summer.

From what I've read he's a major talent in the making, but this makes me wonder why PSV would so strongly have given up on him. He certainly would be nice to have as an attacking midfield option

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

From what I've read he's a major talent in the making, but this makes me wonder why PSV would so strongly have given up on him. He certainly would be nice to have as an attacking midfield option

He's probably said he wants a move and the twatter account is sensationalising it for retwats