IGNORED

Chelsea (Away) Monday 8 March

markjazzbassist

Difficult one to call, we have been piss poor lately but have still  managed to drag out 1-0 wins against 2 sides we should be wiping the floor with (not to mentioned being totally schooled by Fulham) but it might suit us at the moment to play the underdog and just park the bus and try and snatch something on the break

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Difficult one to call, we have been piss poor lately but have still  managed to drag out 1-0 wins against 2 sides we should be wiping the floor with (not to mentioned being totally schooled by Fulham) but it might suit us at the moment to play the underdog and just park the bus and try and snatch something on the break

How could you forget we beat Liverpool 2-0 in amongst that. 

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

My fear is that our team is lacking that bit of quality and depth. If DCL and Richy aren't scoring we rely on set pieces. 

It's all good though, far more organized than this time last year. We are definitely going places. 

You are right about the quality and depth off it. 

We are all bias Everton fans, which is how it should be. However, taking away this  bias I read an article today - the OPTA AI computer predicting the final table after the full 38 games and using this seasons stats to date. It brings us in joint 8th on 61 points. However there are only 6point between 3rd and 9th position!!! 

The bookies still have us about 7th or 8th.

I also ready our squad was about the 7th most valueble and are wage bill is about the 8th hoghest.

So i have no doubt that if we finish in the top4 it has to be considered a significant acheivement, even a top 6 finish is punching above our weight.

So we will still need to turned some antisipated defeats in to draws and draws in to win.

This AI computer predicts that 67 point would get you in the top 4 this season. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

How could you forget we beat Liverpool 2-0 in amongst that. 

I hadn’t forgotten it, I thought we played well against Spurs, United and The Shite but as soon as the onus is on us to take the front foot we’ve been poor , which is why I think it will maybe suit us more against Chelsea 

Just now, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I hadn’t forgotten it, I thought we played well against Spurs, United and The Shite but as soon as the onus is on us to take the front foot we’ve been poor , which is why I think it will maybe suit us more against Chelsea 

With you now. 

It’s a bit strange but going into Chelsea away Im not overly confident of a great performance but still confident of taking points. I think that’s a real testament to Carlo, I liked Martinez & Silva for their “positive” football but Carlo has everyone knowing their roles and we are solid. 

Much newer to Everton than most on here as I’ve only been a fan for 13 years. In those 13 years one game sticks out from the rest for me. 3-0 over Arsenal. Rom in Bobby’s arms. We didn’t finish the season like we needed to but that game was pure euphoria. This game has that exact same vibe. I’m going to be up for this one (in a mentally unstable way haha) and I hope the team is up for it as well.

On 02/03/2021 at 08:21, markjazzbassist said:

Big match here.  This could help us to push on for top 4 and Champions League, or push us down into the fight for Europa/best of the rest.  They've got their new manager still tinkering with lineups and players, and they will have 1 more day of rest as they play Wednesday and we play Thursday.  I really hope we can get up for this and get a win.  It's away and we have been playing well away so there's that.  I hope they continue to underwhelm and we can stay strong in defense and win.  I want 3 points, i want CL.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Godfrey Digne

Allan

Doucoure  Gomes

James           DCL      Richarlison

It's our biggest match of the season. This is our defining moment. Clearly, Ancelotti sees it this way since he's been rotating/resting players ahead of this match. We need our best team. I like your suggested starting lineup except for Gomes. If he's available, I'd put Tom Davies in there.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Godfrey Digne

Allan

Doucoure    Davies

James           DCL        Richarlison

I feel if you go with Allan Doucoure and Davies then there’s little point having James out there, yes that 3 in the middle would be solid and more than likely get you a 0-0, but they won’t help James get on the ball nearly enough, who I feel would then have one of those games where he doesn’t do enough and becomes obsolete due to a lack of service, we need someone in the midfield who has the ability to find James on a regular basis with decent passes to get him involved for me that would be Gylfi, if you go with that 3 of Allan Doucoure and Davies to start then I would drop James and go with Iwobi and go for the 0-0, with the chance of nicking it from a set piece. 
But if you went with Gylfi and James and  go 1 or 2 up I would then take them off even if it’s early and throw Davies and Iwobi on, then give Chelsea  the challenge of breaking us down with the real possibility of being hit on the break. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I feel if you go with Allan Doucoure and Davies then there’s little point having James out there, yes that 3 in the middle would be solid and more than likely get you a 0-0, but they won’t help James get on the ball nearly enough, who I feel would then have one of those games where he doesn’t do enough and becomes obsolete due to a lack of service, we need someone in the midfield who has the ability to find James on a regular basis with decent passes to get him involved for me that would be Gylfi, if you go with that 3 of Allan Doucoure and Davies to start then I would drop James and go with Iwobi and go for the 0-0, with the chance of nicking it from a set piece. 
But if you went with Gylfi and James and  go 1 or 2 up I would then take them off even if it’s early and throw Davies and Iwobi on, then give Chelsea  the challenge of breaking us down with the real possibility of being hit on the break. 

James gets himself on the ball. Davies has a better range of passing than he’s often given credit for. Also he covers the back 4 probably better than any other midfielder we have. Doucoure and Allan can do what they do - press and tackle. James comes in to the centre between the pockets of space.

4th official have gone with a 41212 line up. 
                         Pickford 

Holgate.      Keane.    Godfrey.     Digne

Allan 

Doucoure.             Gomes 

Gylfi 

Richarlison.     DCL 

There are a few permutations which if keeping us guessing will be keeping Two sacked Tuchel guessing as well. 

1 hour ago, Btay said:

James gets himself on the ball. Davies has a better range of passing than he’s often given credit for. Also he covers the back 4 probably better than any other midfielder we have. Doucoure and Allan can do what they do - press and tackle. James comes in to the centre between the pockets of space.

James doesn’t get himself on the ball that’s his problem, he doesn’t go tackle or chase the ball down, he gets himself in good positions and waits for the ball, when you haven’t got the right players out there to deliver him the ball then don’t bother having him out there, as we’ve witnessed so many times, he needs to be given the ball to do his thing. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

James doesn’t get himself on the ball that’s his problem, he doesn’t go tackle or chase the ball down, he gets himself in good positions and waits for the ball, when you haven’t got the right players out there to deliver him the ball then don’t bother having him out there, as we’ve witnessed so many times, he needs to be given the ball to do his thing. 

Seen it plenty when someone has the ball and James takes it off them or he drops deep to try and impact the game. Fulham he didn’t fancy it one bit but since he’s been better. Allan, Doucoure and Davies/Gomes are good enough to have enough ball for him. He tries to get on it plenty. Gylfi has had some good assists of late but let’s not try and pretend for the last 2/3 years he’s been slinging passes around the midfield. Honestly I think Gylfi and James are similar players - one might run a bit more than the other whilst the other has that true world class ability on the ball.

48 minutes ago, Btay said:

Seen it plenty when someone has the ball and James takes it off them or he drops deep to try and impact the game. Fulham he didn’t fancy it one bit but since he’s been better. Allan, Doucoure and Davies/Gomes are good enough to have enough ball for him. He tries to get on it plenty. Gylfi has had some good assists of late but let’s not try and pretend for the last 2/3 years he’s been slinging passes around the midfield. Honestly I think Gylfi and James are similar players - one might run a bit more than the other whilst the other has that true world class ability on the ball.

He has been coming deeper which defeats the impact of having him, what he needs is the best possible 2 or 3 players on the pitch to work off, ie Richarlison Gylfi Gomes or Iwobi, Allan Doucoure and Davies together don’t give us the ability to get forward in a creative fashion that suits James, he will spend more time in his own half trying to create something for himself or in their half doing nothing. So if you want that 3 in the middle you would get more out of Iwobi who is prepared to work harder. 
Add to that I don’t think we will see him start Ancelotti will probably go with the hard working battlers. 

23 hours ago, Palfy said:

4th official have gone with a 41212 line up. 
                         Pickford 

Holgate.      Keane.    Godfrey.     Digne

Allan 

Doucoure.             Gomes 

Gylfi 

Richarlison.     DCL 

There are a few permutations which if keeping us guessing will be keeping Two sacked Tuchel guessing as well. 

Looks the most likely line up though to be pedantic Richarlison would be on the left and DCL on the right!

If Doucoure, Davies and James are not fit we will need either Holgate or Godfrey in mid. We need everybody scrapping this one out.

Coleman Kean Godfrey/Holgate Digne

Holgate/Godfrey Allan Gomes 

Gylphy

D C lewin.           Richie

4 hours ago, Bill said:

If Doucoure, Davies and James are not fit we will need either Holgate or Godfrey in mid. We need everybody scrapping this one out.

Coleman Kean Godfrey/Holgate Digne

Holgate/Godfrey Allan Gomes 

Gylphy

D C lewin.           Richie

I’ll hope for this, too.  I’d be inclined to have Godfrey in midfield, as he offers more going forward, just very occasionally, mind.  Generally we need Godfrey and Allan to protect the backline, especially when either Digne or Coleman push forward for width. I hope Coleman is fit.  Don’t fancy Holgate at RB.

It’s a risk playing Gomes and Sigurdsson together, but if Doucouré and Davies are out, they’re preferable than starting either Bernard or Iwobi.