IGNORED

Major League Baseball

I went back a ways and surprisingly couldn't find a specific MLB thread. Figured it'd make things easier if there's any discussion of the sport. 

Big news coming out today that they're moving the All-Star Game from Atlanta, due to the racist Georgia legislature and their thinly-veiled Jim Crow-era voting restrictions that they've enacted. On the very large hand, I think this is fantastic that a major sports league is standing up to states that violate basic American rights. On the slightly smaller hand, taking away the ASG will affect hundreds of businesses in the Atlanta area that surely were counting on the cash windfall. 

Ultimately I'm much more on the side of the former. It's a great thing.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

big cleveland baseball team fan here, grew up going to the games as a kid in the 80's/90's and have been recently as well.  Lost the opener but it's a long season and i'm hoping for another good one.

Well I'm a lifelong Twins fan, so...can't wait to be looking down at you in the standings again 😀😀

Jokes aside, the AL central will be a good division again this year. I think the White Sox losing Jimenez for the majority of the season might give us the little edge to win the division, but who knows. 

I'm curious to hear if @Cornish Stevehas any thoughts on the decision to take away the ASG from Atlanta.

12 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm curious to hear if @Cornish Stevehas any thoughts on the decision to take away the ASG from Atlanta.

This is an interesting topic, because there's widespread disagreement about the new Georgia voting laws and, for those who disagree, how best to respond.

IMO, the Georgia laws are quite clever in that they give the impression of applying sensible changes; however, under the surface it's clear they are intended to depress the vote in large Black counties. There's a lot of uneducated hot air on both sides, I have to say, with too many people just listening to and believing talking heads from one news channel or the other. There are some in-depth and objective analyses of the new voting law, but you have to search them out. I'm very much against these laws.

How best to respond? On the one hand, moving the AllStar game gives the matter considerable visibility. Were the Masters to be moved from Augusta (which it won't), that would be an even bigger statement. On the other hand, it puts Raphael Warnock, recently elected senator, in an awkward position. He wants to promote Georgia businesses, including hotels and others that benefit from these sports events, even while standing against the new voter law. I rather sympathize with him. Couldn't everyone make an even bigger statement at the AllStar game?

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

how’s that working out for you ;)

The drop-off for us this season has truly been shocking. We were one of the favorites for the pennant heading into the season, the first week we were 5-2, and then the wheels fell off. And they haven't been reattached. 

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Baseball ⚾️ is one sport I’ve really struggled to get excited about, what’s your favoured American sport. 

I have a feeling that a baseball game would be quite a fun thing to watch in the flesh but has little attraction on TV, particularly if you have no allegiance to either side. Hockey similarly does nothing for me on TV, impossible to see the puck most of the time. Following the pattern basketball I could never get excited about until I watched some live games way back when Channel 4 signed a deal to show it and it was going to be the next big thing (it wasn't). I'll watch a game of (American) football though, but ultimately all US sport has the closed shop/lack of jeopordy problem; it's obviously a long standing US sport cultural thing but I don't get it. And calling your "final" the World series when nobody outside of North America can enter, really?

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Baseball ⚾️ is one sport I’ve really struggled to get excited about, what’s your favoured American sport. 

US football has always been my favorite, my father played at the college level so he had us all play and sunday football was a regular rhythm for us growing up.  Baseball was second growing up, my uncle (dads brother) played professionally for a decade so it was tradition, since there are way more games (162), its super affordable, so we went to a lot of games throughout my childhood. you'd win tickets at raffles, or for good grades in school, etc.  tons of corporate hand out seats too.  my mom still gets a couple free games from her work so i still get to go to a few.  used to be a massive hockey fan growing up, played in a rec league in college and post college, it's a lot of fun.  i've been out of that scene for a while now so i've lost touch with it.

these days it's Euro football, US football, baseball in that order.  i don't have time to follow hockey anymore sadly.  as much as i love US sports, the euro model with promotion/relegation is so much fairer and i love how diverse the teams are with players from all over the world.  i also enjoy the fairness of the scheduling, home and away against every side.  it really is a wonderful system, the US teams have these goofy convuluted formulas for scheduling, it's dumb.  lastly, the cup competitions add a fun aspect to the season to give you really 3 ways (without europe) to try and compete instead of just 1 in case your team has a rough year.  i don't think the Euro model is perfect, but it really is an effort towards fairness which is something i care about.

On 06/05/2021 at 19:41, Palfy said:

Mine is basketball. I just don't get what is exciting about it. 

On 06/05/2021 at 20:10, MikeO said:

I have a feeling that a baseball game would be quite a fun thing to watch in the flesh but has little attraction on TV, particularly if you have no allegiance to either side. Hockey similarly does nothing for me on TV, impossible to see the puck most of the time. Following the pattern basketball I could never get excited about until I watched some live games way back when Channel 4 signed a deal to show it and it was going to be the next big thing (it wasn't). I'll watch a game of (American) football though, but ultimately all US sport has the closed shop/lack of jeopordy problem; it's obviously a long standing US sport cultural thing but I don't get it. And calling your "final" the World series when nobody outside of North America can enter, really?

I used to watch baseball on channel 5 and the guys in the studio used to be quite entertaining so it was worth the watch. It was back in the days when I didnt have any responsibility so I could stay up all night and not worry about the consequences. I have watched a game live too, but again its only interesting to have a beer to and to sit in the seats where you might catch the ball!

As for ice hockey, surely people only watch it for the fights? 

19 hours ago, Bailey said:

Mine is basketball. I just don't get what is exciting about it. 

I used to watch baseball on channel 5 and the guys in the studio used to be quite entertaining so it was worth the watch. It was back in the days when I didnt have any responsibility so I could stay up all night and not worry about the consequences. I have watched a game live too, but again its only interesting to have a beer to and to sit in the seats where you might catch the ball!

As for ice hockey, surely people only watch it for the fights? 

Everyone likes a good fight don’t they?😉

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

My Minnesota Twins, who have given me nothing but heartache my entire life, just won their first postseason game since 2004.

They had lost their previous 18 straight postseason games, the longest postseason losing streak in NORTH AMERICAN SPORTS HISTORY. 

If they can do it, so can Everton.

The Yankees not being in the postseason this year helps (and yes I know they've lost to other teams during the streak). 

21 minutes ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

The Yankees not being in the postseason this year helps (and yes I know they've lost to other teams during the streak). 

Yeah they were the ones who ousted us in 5 of the 7 playoff appearances. 

Honestly I wish we could've played this year's Yankees, they're atrocious. And even as someone who lives in NYC, nothing makes me happier than seeing the Yankees lose