IGNORED

Brighton (Away) Monday 12 April

markjazzbassist

We need a result here to stay in Europa League contention.  I would love a win, and i hope the players are up for it after the collapse at home to Palace.  COYB

Olsen

Coleman Keane Godfrey Digne

Gbamin

Davies    Gylfi

James              DCL       Richarlison

Made up that this is away so that we can go out and play as an actual European challenging team as opposed to the shell of a side that we seem to be at the Old Lady. If people think that Brighton will be a walk in the park then this will be a reality check, they're down the league because they can't finish for toffee but actually play really good football and are hard to break down. We'll probably only get one or two chances against them so need to be clinical - DCL and Richarlison need to seriously pull their heads out of their arses for this trip because a carbon copy of tonight will see us drop points again.

Hopefully Allan is back fit for this one and André isn't too badly hurt as I thought he did well against Palace (apart from that bizarre pass to Richarlison early on when he was about 69 yards offside). Bring Godfrey back into the starting XI too while we're at it because if he's anywhere near fitness should be on the field - Gbamin hopefully gets a few minutes when we're 3-0 up and cruising (a man can dream :unsure:...). Not sure exactly when Pickford is expected to be fit, but getting him back would be a real bonus too.

Must say I don’t think Olsen did a whole lot wrong for the goal against Palace, I would like to See Virginia play and prove himself as our back up keeper for next season purely to save us £££ in the transfer window but given Olsen starting last match I think that’s pretty decided.

Is Gbamin ready for 90 minutes, that’s a tough call to make. I think he needs a bit more time personally.

Olsen 

Coleman   Mina   Keane    Digne 

Holgate  Gylfi  Davies

James             Dcl         Richarlison 

Godfrey in for Mina if he’s fit enough. 
Holgate and Davies to sit, with Holgate offering a bit more defensive presence covering James. Gylfi further forward of the 3 linking with our front 3. It’s make shift but we have our best attacking players on the pitch here and need to be aware that Brighton play some decent footy.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

Must say I don’t think Olsen did a whole lot wrong for the goal against Palace, I would like to See Virginia play and prove himself as our back up keeper for next season purely to save us £££ in the transfer window but given Olsen starting last match I think that’s pretty decided.

Is Gbamin ready for 90 minutes, that’s a tough call to make. I think he needs a bit more time personally.

Olsen 

Holgate  Gylfi  Davies

Holgate and Davies to sit, with Holgate offering a bit more defensive presence covering James. Gylfi further forward of the 3 linking with our front 3. It’s make shift but we have our best attacking players on the pitch here and need to be aware that Brighton play some decent footy.

Allan is supposed to be back.

Stop putting Holgate in midfield people - his handful of appearances in midfield have been fluffed up as something brilliant when in reality he was ok there and nothing more. We need to win this game 100%, lets fuck the square pegs in round holes off.

36 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Allan is supposed to be back.

Stop putting Holgate in midfield people - his handful of appearances in midfield have been fluffed up as something brilliant when in reality he was ok there and nothing more. We need to win this game 100%, lets fuck the square pegs in round holes off.

Well Allan being back is a changer. I was under the impression it was between Gbamin, Gylfi or Holgate and if Gbamin isn’t 100% I know who I’m choosing.

17 hours ago, Btay said:

Olsen 

Holgate  Gylfi  Davies

I don't think Olsen would have saved the goal against Palace but it was strange seeing a keeper dive towards his near post when the ball was going to the far post.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't think Olsen would have saved the goal against Palace but it was strange seeing a keeper dive towards his near post when the ball was going to the far post.

I’ll watch it again mate. I thought he just tried to make himself big and it was squeezed between his legs.

On 08/04/2021 at 00:56, Btay said:

I’ll watch it again mate. I thought he just tried to make himself big and it was squeezed between his legs.

Screenshot_20210410-083822

You're right it goes through his legs.

Really don't see what the keeper has done wrong. Only way he stops it is of he gambles and drops a knee early to block getting nutmegged, but then everyone would be fuming if he got chipped.

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Why do we only get 4 days between this and Tottenham?* Other fixtures could have been played Friday with teams having 5 days break.

*I know because we are Everton.

Count ourselves lucky, Wolves only had 3 between playing West Ham on Monday and then Fulham on Friday. Makes absolutely no sense to me

On 07/04/2021 at 02:55, Btay said:

Olsen 

Holgate  Gylfi  Davies

That midfield three has just made me smash all the TV’s in my house and throw the radio out the window, phone is going in the microwave as soon as I’ve posted this

On 08/04/2021 at 00:56, Btay said:

Yeh it did but it is unusual to see the keeper get set and then move to the near post when the ball goes in off the far post. Looking again, you could also park a bus between his legs.

Put it this way, its a shot that many keepers would have saved. Goals like that happen and so I am not blaming him for it but its another one of those pieces in the goal that could have been avoided. 

23 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yeh it did but it is unusual to see the keeper get set and then move to the near post when the ball goes in off the far post. Looking again, you could also park a bus between his legs.

Put it this way, its a shot that many keepers would have saved. Goals like that happen and so I am not blaming him for it but its another one of those pieces in the goal that could have been avoided. 

As an example, in the Utd equaliser from the Cavani shot Lloris did what you would expect from a keeper in this situation. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

As an example, in the Utd equaliser from the Cavani shot Lloris did what you would expect from a keeper in this situation. 

But moments before that Cavani had a goal disallowed that he managed to squeeze through his legs. I’m not saying lloris is the perfect example of a goal keeper because I think he is quite over rated but it’s something that happens a bit. 

Either way if Pickford isn’t available I’d rather see Virginia over Olsen and see if he can make the number 2 his spot

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Lots of kids have travelled as part of the squad for this game, so we really are down to the bare bones.

I think you have to say this season we have been a fair bit unlucky with injuries. There have been weeks when we didn't put out a full bench, had two or three keepers on it or its made up of mainly kids. A lot of the time the first 11 payers have pretty much picked themselves. It has definitely been a season where it's been difficult in getting continuity in the personnel out on the pitch.

this game now is must win for any chance of European football (I actually think we have probably already fucked it up by losing 5 points to Burnley and Crystal Palace - but need some hope!!) - a loss and think we need to be more worried about teams behind us rather than catching those in front of us. 

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think you have to say this season we have been a fair bit unlucky with injuries. There have been weeks when we didn't put out a full bench, had two or three keepers on it or its made up of mainly kids. A lot of the time the first 11 payers have pretty much picked themselves. It has definitely been a season where it's been difficult in getting continuity in the personnel out on the pitch.

this game now is must win for any chance of European football (I actually think we have probably already fucked it up by losing 5 points to Burnley and Crystal Palace - but need some hope!!) - a loss and think we need to be more worried about teams behind us rather than catching those in front of us. 

I really am starting to think we won’t even finish top half and be around 12th where we finished last season. 

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I really am starting to think we won’t even finish top half and be around 12th where we finished last season. 

we have a pretty tough run of games after tonight our final eight games include - Villa twice, West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City. A good run similar to that we had on the run up to Xmas is going to be needed. 

10 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Agreed. I've been pretty optimistic all season, but these last few weeks have basically eroded that hope. I have a bad feeling about today's game, and I also wouldn't be surprised if we finish somewhere around 10-12th position