IGNORED

Bullshit Greed League (aka ESL)

Disgusting, American media reporting it’s United, Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal, and Spurs.  Also atletico, Real Madrid, Barca, and juve.  Not sure on the German and French sides.

the FA should deduct points from each of those sides.  No surprise most of the clubs are run by greedy Americans.

I have a lot more respect for City now.

This is not going to happen. The outcry from literally everyone, bar the owners of the clubs involved, will be too damning for these clubs to go forward. They might make the announcement today, but between the public backlash and the sanctions that might be put in place, the club owners will eventually cave and this league will be scrapped. We've seen this time and time again recently in other aspects of life. A company makes a horrible PR decision, then social media (and the fact that basically anyone in the entire world has a public voice now) speaks up, and the company backtracks. It's great on one hand, that there is now accountability due to everyone having social media to voice their opinions, but you also can't forget that these companies or clubs wanted to go ahead with these awful decisions. 

Have to continue to hold them accountable and keep holding their feet to the proverbial fire

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Even if they backtrack on it each and every club involved should face some sort of punishment for accepting it in the first place.

No surprise to me that so many of the clubs involved are American owned either. They do love a closed shop.

Exactly. It's great that there's accountability now due to public pressure and outcry, but it's just too easy for companies to backtrack and say "Oopsies! Our bad!" and then go on as if nothing happened

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think before you get to punishing the clubs, the players and managers of these clubs should just walk off in protest and forfeit games until this idiotic greed machine gets the message - no team, no game, no breakaway league.  

Its not just the owners that need a message sent to, its the TV channels that throw the money at them and enable this idea in the first place. So if you've got BT Sport or Sky etc, I'd be thinking of voting with your wallets and cancelling subscriptions. 

The players and the managers of these clubs are likely to get a huge slice of the billions on offer from a ‘Super League’ so they may not feel as strongly about it as us fans.

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

The players and the managers of these clubs are likely to get a huge slice of the billions on offer from a ‘Super League’ so they may not feel as strongly about it as us fans.

I just despair of people, the average top flight footballer earns more in a year than the vast majority of their fans will make in their lifetime, but they want more? How much do you need to live on? If you're earning £5m a year why in the world do you need to sell your soul for £10m? Are you finding yourself short on the run up to pay-day? It's gone crazy.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Even if they backtrack on it each and every club involved should face some sort of punishment for accepting it in the first place.

No surprise to me that so many of the clubs involved are American owned either. They do love a closed shop.

This. Their actions have brought the game into disrepute and they need to be punished.

It is interesting that these clubs are completely silent and this announcement doesnt seem to be coming. I imagine their PR / management teams are furiously trying to find a way out of it. 

I also very much doubt that these 6 clubs would be the only ones that would have signed up had they had the chance. You can also bet there are a few clubs who were waiting to see what happened before signing up and if it did go live, you can imagine they might try and join in. 

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Just scanning social media nobody wants this other than the club owners, even fans of the clubs involved are almost universally opposed as far as I can see, really don't see how it can happen.

It will happen if TV money which would normally be pumped into the the league’s involved is directed solely to this super league, I have no doubt that the Sky BT and the equivalent channels in other countries will have a big part to play in this. The only way I can see this not happening is if there revenues are cut off, which is the supporters don’t take up any TV subscriptions for the this league, then the advertising revenue which this will highly depend on won’t be forthcoming, so imo whether this happens is entirely down to the fans of football, and what concerns me is that there a millions of fans who will buy into this and make it a commercially viable proposition for huge advertising revenues. This is the next step from the PL and the CL, only this time the clubs are the governing body and in control of the finances. 

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

I just despair of people, the average top flight footballer earns more in a year than the vast majority of their fans will make in their lifetime, but they want more? How much do you need to live on? If you're earning £5m a year why in the world do you need to sell your soul for £10m? Are you finding yourself short on the run up to pay-day? It's gone crazy.

It's American corporate greed run rampant. I stumbled my way into an elite university's law school in the states this year in my nearing mid-life (got tired of being drunk all the time behind the bar) and I've finally seen what the other side truly believes. My casebook for my business law class argues that insider trading is a good thing and I've learned that not only do American courts appear to protect shareholder interests (as I thought before entering law school)—it's actually the fucking law that shareholder interests are the only thing that matters and that directors of a corporation cannot make decisions that don't benefit shareholders even for humanitarian reasons.

We can't blame this on the footballers. The players themselves are still mere peons compared to the owners. This is just what pure capitalism does. I'll welcome all the supporters—even the shite supporters—who abandon their clubs over this.

The cheek of this lot.

Oh dont worry its just to replace the Champions League and we will still let 5 Willy Wonker teams compete if they prove their worth. It doesnt matter that we will we will give extraordinary sums to the already richest clubs in the league because we will make some other payments lower down the leagues as well. 

Oh and yep our special 12 teams will still want to play in the domestic leagues where they can suffer the ups and downs of relegation. Obviously this would never happen given the sums we will invedt into these clubs. We want to the top clubs in each league to stay at the top to protect the quality of the product we offer. 

Special mention to Liverpool...... They probably stopped us being a European superpower after Hysel - the irony is that they have gone in to finish the job of excluding Europe for all....

maybe when Liverpool and Juventus play their meaningless fixtures they can remember this.