Jump to content

Pre-season 2021/22


MikeO
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am seriously looking at going to either the Sunday match against Millionarios, or the Wednesday match against Arsenal/Inter. The good news for me is that from Alabama, at least Florida is neighboring state. The bad news is that it's still like a 475 mile drive to Orlando...road trip!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Taking advantage of being able to see our brand new, shiny manager? Great opportunity to support the lads though.

And if we sign Dike, we can give him a run out for the Orlando fans 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/06/2021 at 06:56, Ghoat said:

I am seriously looking at going to either the Sunday match against Millionarios, or the Wednesday match against Arsenal/Inter. The good news for me is that from Alabama, at least Florida is neighboring state. The bad news is that it's still like a 475 mile drive to Orlando...road trip!

I plan to go to one or two of them also(probably Arsenal/Inter), but I'll be flying! It looks like it's about a 9 hour drive from South MS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghoat said:

Well the decision was removed for me, for b'day/Father's Day combo wife and daughters got tix and an AirBnB a 10 min walk from stadium for Sunday matches. So the 20 year old and I will drive down early Sunday morning for both matches and stay the night. I took her to Charlotte several years back to see her Chelsea play PSG, so she said no way she wasn't gonna go with me to see Everton play in FL haha. But yeah it's prolly 8.5 hours or so for you (plus the hour lost going into Eastern time zone), only 7.5 for us :) 

 

Any other Stateside Blues planning on going?

Nice story, hope you have a great time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/06/2021 at 07:56, Ghoat said:

I am seriously looking at going to either the Sunday match against Millionarios, or the Wednesday match against Arsenal/Inter. The good news for me is that from Alabama, at least Florida is neighboring state. The bad news is that it's still like a 475 mile drive to Orlando...road trip!

It would be an 8-hour drive each way for me, but I shall look into it. Where did you go to buy tickets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It would be an 8-hour drive each way for me, but I shall look into it. Where did you go to buy tickets?

That's a long way for one game, but at least your fuel costs are about half what they are over here so that's less of a hindrance. Is flying not an option for you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

That's a long way for one game, but at least your fuel costs are about half what they are over here so that's less of a hindrance. Is flying not an option for you?

Until things settle down more, I prefer to drive. It's a great opportunity to finish up some Audible books.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Until things settle down more, I prefer to drive. It's a great opportunity to finish up some Audible books.

I have the thirteen hour BBC radio dramatisation of Lord of the Rings (from 1981) in the car, has Ian Holm playing Frodo who then got older (as you do) and played Bilbo in the Peter Jackson films. It's a great piece of work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Until things settle down more, I prefer to drive. It's a great opportunity to finish up some Audible books.

Can't you stay at a Motel 7 (memories of economy stateside trips in the 70s) Favourite low cost (pre virus) was La Quinta Inn - we love the self serve waffle station!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/06/2021 at 23:20, Cornish Steve said:

It would be an 8-hour drive each way for me, but I shall look into it. Where did you go to buy tickets?

I don't think it matters where you go get your tickets, you are going to wind up at Ticketmaster. Bastards.

https://www.floridacup.com/tickets is the official site

On 15/06/2021 at 05:19, MikeO said:

That's a long way for one game, but at least your fuel costs are about half what they are over here so that's less of a hindrance. Is flying not an option for you?

In his defense, it's a super easy drive, basically one wide open interstate all the way to Orlando, no turns! Without "restroom-challenged" travel companions, can be done in about 7 hours, and about $100 in gas. To be fair, it's much worse for me, same distance, but I have to make 2 turns to reach Orlando! Really not a bad trip, and a hell of a lot closer to go for a match than Merseyside! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2021 at 06:19, MikeO said:

That's a long way for one game, but at least your fuel costs are about half what they are over here so that's less of a hindrance. Is flying not an option for you?

To put this in context... A few weeks ago, we drove to Birmingham AL to pick up three of our grandchildren and then drove them to Nashville where our younger daughter lives. After a few hours there, we did the reverse journey. That day trip was a little over 700 miles. Distances are not such a big deal in the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2021 at 05:19, MikeO said:

That's a long way for one game, but at least your fuel costs are about half what they are over here so that's less of a hindrance. Is flying not an option for you?

It's less than a 2 hour flight, but by the time you get in and out of airports, it's probably about 4 hours, and around $300 when you figure the tickets, airport parking and a rental car. Our Interstate system, especially between 2 big cities like this is good enough to set cruise control at 75mph or so, and not having to touch it for 450 miles, pending on fuel and bladder.  Good thing, because our train service between most cities varies between shit and non-existent.

 

Matter of personal preference, time constraints and/or finances generally. For me, basically anything under 10 hours, I'd rather just jump in the car and have more control over my trip, not risk my luggage going to Fuckall, USA and not getting felt up by airport an screener. Well, depending on the airport screener, I guess that could be a selling point....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

It's less than a 2 hour flight, but by the time you get in and out of airports, it's probably about 4 hours, and around $300 when you figure the tickets, airport parking and a rental car. Our Interstate system, especially between 2 big cities like this is good enough to set cruise control at 75mph or so, and not having to touch it for 450 miles, pending on fuel and bladder.  Good thing, because our train service between most cities varies between shit and non-existent.

 

Matter of personal preference, time constraints and/or finances generally. For me, basically anything under 10 hours, I'd rather just jump in the car and have more control over my trip, not risk my luggage going to Fuckall, USA and not getting felt up by airport an screener. Well, depending on the airport screener, I guess that could be a selling point....

Fair enough. I've thought about flying instead of driving to Scotland once or twice (Glasgow is about 430 miles for me) but always been put off by the faffing about you describe so I get it. Are your freeways generally trouble free? Problem here is that our motorways all too often turn into car parks; seems like there was zero planning when they built them so didn't take into account the massive increase in cars on the road in the future, they're just not fit for purpose. I think I mentioned it somewhere on here already but a couple of weeks back I needed to head 100 miles up the M5 on a Friday afternoon and the journey took six hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generally speaking, they are. The interstates (by definition minimum divided 4 lanes with limited access on/off ramps) rarely have issues running between the cities, besides the occasional accident or construction that can create a shitshow. As long as you can avoid morning and afternoon rush hours in major cities, it's pretty uneventful. 

 

However, to your point, there are places that simply have more traffic than roads can be built. There is a spot in Atlanta where the interstate is 14 lanes wide, and is still a parking lot twice a day during rush hour between commuters and the sheer amount of goods that flow in and out of Atlanta on trucks/lorries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghoat said:

However, to your point, there are places that simply have more traffic than roads can be built. There is a spot in Atlanta where the interstate is 14 lanes wide, and is still a parking lot twice a day during rush hour between commuters and the sheer amount of goods that flow in and out of Atlanta on trucks/lorries. 

Holy crap 14 lanes!? That's mad. To my knowledge there's nothing in the UK with more than four, and the main first built north/south M1 was two lanes for long stretches, don't know if that's still the case as I've long since left London so not used it. The M25 London orbital was the stupidest, fully opened in 1986 with three lanes which it very soon became apparent was nowhere near enough so started to get widened almost immediately. Reading up on it I see that there are now stretches with 5/6 lanes so we do have more than four in places but few and far between.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thing is , the US have space and plenty of rest areas off the Interstate highways. Used to love driving there and I totally get why driving several hundred miles in a day doesn't phase them. I used to do 500 mile round trip, Exeter to north west when son was at university. All fine when M5 and M6 played ball but... if not total frustration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2021 at 05:19, MikeO said:

That's a long way for one game, but at least your fuel costs are about half what they are over here so that's less of a hindrance. Is flying not an option for you?

I'm flying because tickets are pretty cheap  (using Spirit airlines 😬 ) and close enough to the amount I'd spend on gas. My drive is a little more complicated than my other compatriots though, because I'd be driving along closer to the coast through Mobile, Pensacola, and Tallahassee, so I'm trying to avoid those places. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That price is disgraceful. Preseason friendlies shouldn't be anymore than £20, if anything closer to a tenner.

There is a bit of expense to come this far to be sure, but they come to the US to make money, so it's not unexpected. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you almost $100 to watch a glorified scrimmage is absurd. And the fact that Ticketmaster just about has a monopoly in the States on sports tickets concert tickets etc and jacks the price up an additional third chaps my ass to no end. I'm not even sure you can get a fucking parking ticket in America without Ticketmaster getting a cut

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghoat said:

There is a bit of expense to come this far to be sure, but they come to the US to make money, so it's not unexpected. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you almost $100 to watch a glorified scrimmage is absurd. And the fact that Ticketmaster just about has a monopoly in the States on sports tickets concert tickets etc and jacks the price up an additional third chaps my ass to no end. I'm not even sure you can get a fucking parking ticket in America without Ticketmaster getting a cut

Main thing they're focused on is fitness, exposure being a secondary. They could let fans go for free. Really pissed me off tbh. Then again I was annoyed at the extra fiver on the season ticket when they're saying it's a price freeze. More principal than price that matters me when we're going round claiming to be the people's club.

At that price they're not even getting exposure. No person who's thinking about supporting a football team is gonna pay that so they're just ripping off actual fans.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Main thing they're focused on is fitness, exposure being a secondary. They could let fans go for free. Really pissed me off tbh. Then again I was annoyed at the extra fiver on the season ticket when they're saying it's a price freeze. More principal than price that matters me when we're going round claiming to be the people's club.

At that price they're not even getting exposure. No person who's thinking about supporting a football team is gonna pay that so they're just ripping off actual fans.

 

 

That's far more on the US side tbf, the stadium, promoters etc. The European clubs, IMO, are mainly here like said for fitness and training, having someone (ergo peeps like me) cover the cost and pocket a little. Again because there are enough in the States would love to see thier club, or even just elite European squads in person and will pay it. I paid similar in 2015 or so to take my daughter 8 hours to see PSG and Chelsea. 

And honestly, on some level it was worth the money (like the Everton matches) not only for the memories with one of my daughters, but also that chance to see in person what I only see on TV. 

So yeah, it's a money grab that counts on suckers like me. #COYB lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ghoat said:

There is a bit of expense to come this far to be sure, but they come to the US to make money, so it's not unexpected. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you almost $100 to watch a glorified scrimmage is absurd. And the fact that Ticketmaster just about has a monopoly in the States on sports tickets concert tickets etc and jacks the price up an additional third chaps my ass to no end. I'm not even sure you can get a fucking parking ticket in America without Ticketmaster getting a cut

Don’t get me started on Ticketmaster. That’s one thing all Americans can get behind regardless of political party, Ticketmaster have a monopoly, are scum, need to be shut down.  Using a website to buy a ticket doesn’t warrant 25 dollars per ticket.  It’s a disgrace, I’m pissed that our politicians don’t try and get at them.  Live nation who own all the countries venues are just as bad too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/06/2021 at 13:50, MikeO said:

Fair enough. I've thought about flying instead of driving to Scotland once or twice (Glasgow is about 430 miles for me) but always been put off by the faffing about you describe so I get it. Are your freeways generally trouble free? Problem here is that our motorways all too often turn into car parks; seems like there was zero planning when they built them so didn't take into account the massive increase in cars on the road in the future, they're just not fit for purpose. I think I mentioned it somewhere on here already but a couple of weeks back I needed to head 100 miles up the M5 on a Friday afternoon and the journey took six hours.

Again, to draw a comparison, one of the local interstate highways through Atlanta is not only eight lanes in each direction but they've also just built an express lane that changes direction based on rush hour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/06/2021 at 14:12, Ghoat said:

Generally speaking, they are. The interstates (by definition minimum divided 4 lanes with limited access on/off ramps) rarely have issues running between the cities, besides the occasional accident or construction that can create a shitshow. As long as you can avoid morning and afternoon rush hours in major cities, it's pretty uneventful. 

 

However, to your point, there are places that simply have more traffic than roads can be built. There is a spot in Atlanta where the interstate is 14 lanes wide, and is still a parking lot twice a day during rush hour between commuters and the sheer amount of goods that flow in and out of Atlanta on trucks/lorries. 

It's now 17 lanes and it's STILL a parking lot during rush hour. It's one reason we moved from living north of the city to west of the city.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Everton will complete their preparations for the 2021/22 campaign with a pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday 7 August, 5pm (BST) kick-off.  

Bit strange to play another premier League team at their own ground during preseason.

That does sound a bit odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Everton will complete their preparations for the 2021/22 campaign with a pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday 7 August, 5pm (BST) kick-off.  

Bit strange to play another premier League team at their own ground during preseason.

It doesn't get stranger than Benitez being Everton manager, so why not eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Everton will complete their preparations for the 2021/22 campaign with a pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday 7 August, 5pm (BST) kick-off.  

Bit strange to play another premier League team at their own ground during preseason.

In case of us not having a manager OGS will pick our team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Everton will complete their preparations for the 2021/22 campaign with a pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday 7 August, 5pm (BST) kick-off.  

Bit strange to play another premier League team at their own ground during preseason.

Especially as the last game before the season kicks off.

I guess it will be a good test for both sides though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...