IGNORED

Pre-season 2021/22

MikeO

14 hours ago, Ghoat said:

There is a bit of expense to come this far to be sure, but they come to the US to make money, so it's not unexpected. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you almost $100 to watch a glorified scrimmage is absurd. And the fact that Ticketmaster just about has a monopoly in the States on sports tickets concert tickets etc and jacks the price up an additional third chaps my ass to no end. I'm not even sure you can get a fucking parking ticket in America without Ticketmaster getting a cut

Don’t get me started on Ticketmaster. That’s one thing all Americans can get behind regardless of political party, Ticketmaster have a monopoly, are scum, need to be shut down.  Using a website to buy a ticket doesn’t warrant 25 dollars per ticket.  It’s a disgrace, I’m pissed that our politicians don’t try and get at them.  Live nation who own all the countries venues are just as bad too.

On 16/06/2021 at 13:50, MikeO said:

Fair enough. I've thought about flying instead of driving to Scotland once or twice (Glasgow is about 430 miles for me) but always been put off by the faffing about you describe so I get it. Are your freeways generally trouble free? Problem here is that our motorways all too often turn into car parks; seems like there was zero planning when they built them so didn't take into account the massive increase in cars on the road in the future, they're just not fit for purpose. I think I mentioned it somewhere on here already but a couple of weeks back I needed to head 100 miles up the M5 on a Friday afternoon and the journey took six hours.

Again, to draw a comparison, one of the local interstate highways through Atlanta is not only eight lanes in each direction but they've also just built an express lane that changes direction based on rush hour.

On 16/06/2021 at 14:12, Ghoat said:

Generally speaking, they are. The interstates (by definition minimum divided 4 lanes with limited access on/off ramps) rarely have issues running between the cities, besides the occasional accident or construction that can create a shitshow. As long as you can avoid morning and afternoon rush hours in major cities, it's pretty uneventful. 

However, to your point, there are places that simply have more traffic than roads can be built. There is a spot in Atlanta where the interstate is 14 lanes wide, and is still a parking lot twice a day during rush hour between commuters and the sheer amount of goods that flow in and out of Atlanta on trucks/lorries. 

It's now 17 lanes and it's STILL a parking lot during rush hour. It's one reason we moved from living north of the city to west of the city.

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Everton will complete their preparations for the 2021/22 campaign with a pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday 7 August, 5pm (BST) kick-off.  

Bit strange to play another premier League team at their own ground during preseason.

That does sound a bit odd.

12 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Everton will complete their preparations for the 2021/22 campaign with a pre-season friendly against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday 7 August, 5pm (BST) kick-off.  

Bit strange to play another premier League team at their own ground during preseason.

It doesn't get stranger than Benitez being Everton manager, so why not eh?

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

In case of us not having a manager OGS will pick our team.

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Especially as the last game before the season kicks off.

I guess it will be a good test for both sides though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm currently in a cabin in the woods about an hour and half south of the Canadian border, so I uh.....I won't be there.

Shame they're only down in FL, if they were somewhere in the northern half I might've ventured a trip!

That sounds like great place to be, hope you're loving it.

6 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm currently in a cabin in the woods about an hour and half south of the Canadian border, so I uh.....I won't be there.

Shame they're only down in FL, if they were somewhere in the northern half I might've ventured a trip!

I just got back from a week rambling 800 miles across Panama, and will do another 900 next weekend to Orlando and back. Ah well, do what ya gotta do! But I ain't doing shit in August!