IGNORED

Pre-season 2021/22

MikeO

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Townsend the bright spark of the half. Hit the bar, had an early long range tester, and a couple of decent crosses.

Rest of the team looks like Everton though. Negative play, going backwards.

No leader in defence either.

Indeed. Our passing and pace are certainly off / pre season level.

Wow that was come back down to earth. I had just started to buy into Everton again too.

We are way too deep, the defence and midfield are too disconnected. The midfield press but the back 4 drop deep. There is more space than there was under Ancellotti. I get its pre-season but that is the first thing I was expecting to be nailed. The link between midfield and attack is also largely non-existent. It is mainly direct balls through and hoping to pick up the pieces. 

As for the players, my comments are:

Begivic - two good saves, could he have done something about the goal?

Coleman - starting to get exposed.

Holgate - all over the place. Trying too many long balls.

Godfrey - all over the place.

Digne - Not at it so far. Cracking delivery for a chance for Kean. Would like to see us get on the ball more and see him link up with Iwobi.

Allan - started brightly but is now being given the runaround. I am worried about him.

Doucoure - Could do with some help. Cant impose himself on the game but is ticking over well enough.

James - Would probably be more use laying on the half way line in defending and bar a couple of passes hasn't done enough to warrant being on the pitch.

Iwobi - Just hasn't done enough. In moments he looks like doing something but it hasn't worked out. I would just like to see him and Digne work that left side.

Townsend - 1 brilliant cross and 1 wicked shot but WTF was he doing for the goal and his overall play has been terrible. Very early days but I hope he isn't a highlights player. 

Kean - He is a footballer but I am not sure he knows which team he plays for. 

I am off to bed now so I hope those of you that stay up get treated to a better second half.

12 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Townsend the bright spark of the half. Hit the bar, had an early long range tester, and a couple of decent crosses.

Rest of the team looks like Everton though. Negative play, going backwards.

No leader in defence either.

That centre back pairing is a massive worry for me. Holgate is trying to bluff it out and pretend he is a good footballer and Godfrey is playing like a man who knows his partner is full of it. 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

That centre back pairing is a massive worry for me. Holgate is trying to bluff it out and pretend he is a good footballer and Godfrey is playing like a man who knows his partner is full of it. 

I wouldn't worry to much, I don't think Holgate will be Benitez's go to centre back. 

Gomes best Everton player second half.  Good control, nice passes.

Apologies for the match analyst, ESPN’s Alejandro Moreno.  He does offer some good analysis, but his tone is consistently smug, negative.  Hard to listen to.  He rightly caught a lot of criticism in US for his negativity during ESPN’s coverage of EUROs.

...... And just as I compliment Gomes, he gives the ball away.......

4 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Gomes best Everton player second half.  Good control, nice passes.

Apologies for the match analyst, ESPN’s Alejandro Moreno.  He does offer some good analysis, but his tone is consistently smug, negative.  Hard to listen to.  He rightly caught a lot of criticism in US for his negativity during ESPN’s coverage of EUROs.

...... And just as I compliment Gomes, he gives the ball away.......

I've noticed it with a fair number of American pundits. Him, Taylor Twellman (to a lesser extent), Alexi Lalas (to a far greater extent.) I think it probably comes down to an inferiority complex where they feel that, because they're American, they are trying to prove how much they know. And ultimately it just comes off as horribly arrogant and obnoxious.

2 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I've noticed it with a fair number of American pundits. Him, Taylor Twellman (to a lesser extent), Alexi Lalas (to a far greater extent.) I think it probably comes down to an inferiority complex where they feel that, because they're American, they are trying to prove how much they know. And ultimately it just comes off as horribly arrogant and obnoxious.

Absolutely agree re Twellman and Lalas.  I know there is a fair amount of criticism on TT of some longstanding and more recent British commentators, some of whom are perceived as anti-Everton.

But I guess I don’t pick up on that as much as you over there do.  I so much prefer all — every one of them — to Moreno, Twellman, Lalas.

Thought all three of the new signings did fine, and look decent aquasitions for the money. Begivic will definately keep Pickford on his toes this season. Having somebody breathing down his neck was good for him last season. 

Although he didn't see much of the ball when he did Townsend put in a couple of nice crosses, and can use both feet. He is not afraid to have a shot on goal. Could have easily have been a goal and assist on another day. 

Was impressed with Grey wanting to take the penalty, and them smashing it in. Showed his desire. 

It definately showed they where already up and running this season and we are at the beginning of pre season. 

A decent enough workout for them.