IGNORED

Pre-season 2021/22

MikeO

nice penalty shoot out at the end for a bit of togetherness - especially with everybody having to step up and have a crack.

As other have said, result not that important at all - but winning definitely gives you an extra bounce in your step. They will feel much better today with a micky mouse cup won rather than analysing a 3-0 defeat - so all in all good outing. These trips are about team building as much as anything.

I also think now getting going with proper friendly games will help minds focus on football rather than anything else going on at he club. 

I just watched the second half back and it was much better. We were much more compact, we turned the ball over more regularly and higher up the pitch and as a result I don't remember them creating a chance. The catalyst in my opinion was the back 4 being a lot bolder and keeping a much higher line instead of dropping off with every run. It also helped having 11 men on the pitch. As a result Godfrey and Holgate (as well as Keane and Gibson) looked far more in control.

This also made Allan look much better. He was more comfortable only having 10-15 yards to cover instead of 20-30. That will key to his success for us this season. When he went off, I thought we lost a little bit of quality in midfield. Gomes and Gbamin played very indifferently. Some ok things under little pressure but giving the ball away when it mattered. Davies may as well have been someone from the crowd.

There wasn't really much to say about the full backs. Kenny did a better job of getting out to the winger than Coleman did. That Anderson is surely a centre half because he isn't a full back. 

I was impressed by Iwobi. I thought he linked the midfield and attack nicely. A couple of good balls weren't rewarded (he would have picked Broadhead out if he had continued his original run, Gray tried a fancy touch when a normal one would have taken hin 1 v 1). A fresher man would have reeled in that touch in the box, but that should have been a goal and was the only real disappointment. 

Gordon consistently looks to be trying to hard and just turns the ball over too often. There is a whiff of a good player in there but I am not sure he is PL level. Similar comments apply to Broadhead who surprised me. I can see why we kept hold of him for a little longer, and I can see him making himself a career in the Championship, maybe a little higher. 

Gray was very hit and miss. I really enjoyed some of his link up play, particularly with Iwobi, but his decision making was lacking. Unneccessary touches mainly but that shot at the end when he should have slipped Broadhead through was the icing on the cake. His support run when Broadhead went through left a bit to be desired as well. 

Looking at the game as a whole, it was a first half to forget but the second half was definitely something to build on. 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I just did a little research on these lot tonight and Milionairos.

According to Transfermarkt they have a combined squad value of around £44mil. Our squad value is £400mil more than that! 

That’s a lot to do with the markets they are from though. We could go over to the Colombian league and buy the best player they have…. And he would still likely be on wages compared to division 1.

7 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Will end up watching the game, but not sure why, as not much more that a gloryfied training session.

Can't really analyse them to much. 

True enough. Quite funny listening/watching the feed on Everton TV at the moment because they're having techy problems with the sound levels but you can hear them (just) talking about it. I said well over a decade ago they should've employed me to sort their shit but they missed out😎.  That said they've hugely improved on the recorded stuff, just seemingly can't cope with a live event. Ever.

30 minutes ago, MikeO said:

True enough. Quite funny listening/watching the feed on Everton TV at the moment because they're having techy problems with the sound levels but you can hear them (just) talking about it. I said well over a decade ago they should've employed me to sort their shit but they missed out😎.  That said they've hugely improved on the recorded stuff, just seemingly can't cope with a live event. Ever.

ESPN stream is janky too. "your event is experiencing technically difficulties". God knows ESPN televises enough events from Camping World Stadium. Jackasses

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

i can just about cope with watching pre-season games live, but not sure I could watch a training session after knowing the result. 

Anyway, before they start - Are Puma's also mid season or pre-season?

They have played one league game

7 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Anyway, before they start - Are Puma's also mid season or pre-season?

They finished 15th out of 18 in the Mexican league too so even though it's early pre-season, I'm expecting a win for us here.

On another subject, amazes me how every single season like clockwork they fuck up on EvertonTV, always a technical issue :lol:!

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

They finished 15th out of 18 in the Mexican league too so even though it's early pre-season, I'm expecting a win for us here.

On another subject, amazes me how every single season like clockwork they fuck up on EvertonTV, always a technical issue :lol:!

ESPN is fucked up too, should have stayed my ass in Orlando another night I guess!