IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Im with you, Bruce has done a better job. 

If you make a comparison over the two full seasons each had in the PL there really isn't a fag paper between them. Benitez had a 24-17-35 81/95 = 89 points record while Bruce's is 23-20-33 84/120 = 89 points. The only notable disparity is Bruce's teams conceding quite a lot more goals, probably the fans had more faith/hope in Rafa as he won them the championship which brought him some goodwill.

2 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I thought about that but surely Davide would have stayed if that were the case?

Not if he wasn't offered anything. Besides, he'll know he's far too inexperienced and going to Real is good for his development 

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Potter looks popular - totally different to Conte, will be on more modest wages, looking to prove himself on a bigger platform. More likely to be with us much longer term, can't see Europe's elite clambering for him even if we do improve and break in to the top 6. Think he would be a good fit, but would feel a bit shady on Brighton stealing him away. Don't think James and Richy would be overly keen to hang around, and might struggle to get bigger name players enthused to sign - although that might not be that bad a think.  

Potter won't attract any 'names' in the short term and several might look to leave.

26 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Sorry, meant would have stayed on to show some loyalty to the club and take it from there. Our hierarchy probably expected him to go with all Ancelotti's crew.

Think his loyalty will always be to his father and rightly so

22 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Bielsa and Conte are the only ones that I'd be happy with from that list, although I did vote Benitez too as I could get behind it (but wouldn't do laps around my garden). 

Couldn't pick another two as there's just so much drivel on that list, I'd actually have Gallardo (River Plate) on my "happy list" but he's not been included in the poll. 

Instant bans for anyone voting Moyes, Santo or Howe.

We'd literally have to bin the entire squad.  Not a player in there who could do a Biesla 90, let alone 38 times a season.

On 04/06/2021 at 16:44, Cornish Steve said:

Lampard: no. Rooney: no. If we're looking for a younger manager, it should be Arteta. Does Potter qualify as young?

Potter's 47, younger than Dunc.  He'd be above the rehashes and mercenaries for me. 

On 05/06/2021 at 01:16, Matt said:

:huh: one thing Moshiri has always done is provide a budget? 

And I'm sure he'd be happy to continue doing so if we had a way around FFP, but unless we're going to flaunt it I don't see how we have a serious stack of cash available.  Sell to buy more or less.

On 05/06/2021 at 15:37, Bill said:

A little bird tells me these five are the ones in the running, not necessarily in that order.  Conte, Ragnick, Nuno, Fonseca, Rafa.  Nuno is still odds on favourite with the bookies.

Not the worst list, but can only think Conte is on the list because he happened to be in the UK talking with Tottenham.  Would like to see an English name on the list.

25 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

We'd literally have to bin the entire squad.  Not a player in there who could do a Biesla 90, let alone 38 times a season.

DCL, Godfrey, Richarlison, Pickford, Digne, Doucoure comfortably. I'd even argue Davies could too, at least duration if not speed, same with Siggy if he was given some direction 

54 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Potter won't attract any 'names' in the short term and several might look to leave.

Not so bothered about big name players coming to Everton, not sure how much value they really being. Would rather the right players be at the club and any who want to leave -  then bye bye. 

Decent hungry player's seen to be go to Dean Smith's Villa at the moment, I wouldn't say he is any more box office than Graham Potter. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Think his loyalty will always be to his father and rightly so

I guess my rose-tinted specs (very attractive btw) led me to think a couple of years of the Ancelottis, Carlo moves on and Davide stays. History now. Onwards and upwards.

9 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Potter looks popular - totally different to Conte, will be on more modest wages, looking to prove himself on a bigger platform. More likely to be with us much longer term, can't see Europe's elite clambering for him even if we do improve and break in to the top 6. Think he would be a good fit, but would feel a bit shady on Brighton stealing him away. Don't think James and Richy would be overly keen to hang around, and might struggle to get bigger name players enthused to sign - although that might not be that bad a think.  

Potter doesn’t inspire me with any real confidence, Brighton is probably at the top of his level as a manager, reminds me of Chris Houghton or Eddie Howe, there give you a couple of decent games, but you will always be fighting at the wrong end of the table. 

32 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Potter doesn’t inspire me with any real confidence, Brighton is probably at the top of his level as a manager, reminds me of Chris Houghton or Eddie Howe, there give you a couple of decent games, but you will always be fighting at the wrong end of the table. 

This. Get four or five seasons, show you can push Brighton higher up the league. None of this Xg crap, actual really results. I always thought the same about Howe. It was great getting Bournemouth to the Prem, and great keeping them there, but to really stand out you need to them progress them up the table a bit. 
Any manager gets a team like Brighton or Bournemouth comfortably in the top half for a few seasons would be a real top performer. But there isn’t anyone getting to that point for me. 

2 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I would take either Conte or Bielsa in a heartbeat. Unfortunately both are unrealistic targets. Nuno is the most obvious candidate, but I see him as the next Marco Silva. I really hope Bill is calling Martinez at this point.

I don’t get the link between Nuno and Silva other than both being Portuguese. Silva somehow made a name for himself managing poor teams to no success. Nuno has at least made Wolves a decent side and qualified for Europe. He just couldn’t seem to keep them at that level for a prolonged period. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

This. Get four or five seasons, show you can push Brighton higher up the league. None of this Xg crap, actual really results. I always thought the same about Howe. It was great getting Bournemouth to the Prem, and great keeping them there, but to really stand out you need to them progress them up the table a bit. 
Any manager gets a team like Brighton or Bournemouth comfortably in the top half for a few seasons would be a real top performer. But there isn’t anyone getting to that point for me. 

Absolutely this. As mentioned, we could potentially lose our best players if Potter comes in and we could very easily be looking at finishing a lot lower than we were this year. We need someone with a good amount of ability as a manger ( which Potter very well may have ) but also be able to attract/keep top players. Potter is a bigger risk than any manager we have had recently imo.

This may sound ridiculous but to manage a team like Brighton Burnley Palace ect is in a lot of ways easier than managing City Chelsea Utd ect, managers of lower team’s play not to lose they very rarely go all out to win, Potter is in that category a draw is a good result a 1-0 win is huge achievement, a loss is shit but to be expected, so the managers in someways get a free ride when they lose, now if you’re at the other end of the scale wins are all that’s acceptable and the odd draw, now that’s a different type of pressure and mindset and ability that managers like Potter don’t have and we would expect. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

I don’t get the link between Nuno and Silva other than both being Portuguese. Silva somehow made a name for himself managing poor teams to no success. Nuno has at least made Wolves a decent side and qualified for Europe. He just couldn’t seem to keep them at that level for a prolonged period. 

Nuno also lost his key striker to injury, plus quite a substantial injury list, also Jota to Pool who he never replaced so no wonder they struggled.

4 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's breaking on a few places now that Nuno is close to joining Crystal Palace, which I'm made up about as I'm wanting him as far away from here as possible.

Hopefully announced in the next 24/48hrs.

Watch Moshiri panic and throw a mega contract at him now 

51 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

looks like wisdom of TT is pretty much going with stick a load of names in a hat and see who we pull it based on that spread!

I can't bring myself to think too much about it, I just hope that we get someone in the next couple of weeks and that someone can come in and stamp his mark on the team.  

What I don't want is a manager that wants to bring in lots of big name established stars that are a bit older which seemed to be where Carlo was generally heading.  Brands needs to ensure that we have a plan from youth upwards to try to play a particular brand of football to a certain degree and push the first team i that direction through both the players we sign and a manager that works with it.  I want to see more investment in 25 and unders which we saw a few seasons ago when we brought in  Richarlison, Digne and Mina in 2018.  Iwobi and Kean went with that from Carlo/Brands but obviously haven't payed off so well. 

We need to sell the lure of success and Europe over the next couple of years to young hungry players who want it, not big expensive contracts to name players who want to be in Champions league already and lose interest when we're 1 down at Sheffield United or the like.

I agree with a lot of what you have said, that’s why I consider Lampard to be a good choice, he’s not scared to promote youth players into the first team, which worked for him at Derby and Chelsea, he bought in mainly mid twenties or younger players at Chelsea nearly all his players still get in the team. I know it got put down when I mentioned him earlier but what do people want another old manager buying players that are coming up to there 30s because they are living in the past when they had them players 4 or 5 years ago. 
For me Lampard has the balls to play players from the youths as a good record with his buys and as style of play gained from playing football ball at the highest level for years and working with the top managers in the world what’s not to like. And more importantly how the fuck is Potter considered a better choice.