IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

That's why I don't grow a beard, I can't be betrayed by it! It's got nothing to do with the fact I can't grow one that doesn't look like a mangy hamster has been badly stapled to my face.

I wake up every day with new grey hairs, I pull them out, next day, new grey hairs, and repeat. 
I’m now worried it looks like a hamster is on my face. 😂

The more I sit on this the more I have a good feeling about it.

Do we need a superstar manager? Someone who expects a certain level. Or do we need a manager that can get the best out of what he has, and build on that. 
Nuno feels like a manager that can motivate players into a hard work ethic.

11 hours ago, StevO said:

As a man with a beard that contains more grey than I am comfortable with I can confirm that Nuno is not tired. Its just really hard to not look tired when your beard has betrayed you. It’s like a constant reminder than even on good days your face/hair is trying to make you look old. 
The man is fresh as a teenager after a Sunday morning Hollyoaks!

As a man with a significant amount of ginger infecting my beard, I am looking forward to the grey!

Although in my mind it will make me look more distinguished than old but that could just be wishful thinking! 

18 hours ago, Makis said:

Sounded more like he heard of the EFC job and fucked off Palace. He basically stopped answering their calls at one point and made more and more demands until Palace gave up.

That's how I understood it too. 

I have just been doing some more research on Nuno and he looks a lot more versatile than I thought. Crucially, I also think he fits in a lot more with what 'Evertonians' want. 

He has been vocal about not having possession for the sake of possession (aka not Martinez). He is not afraid to get the ball forward quickly and into the centre forward (best of big Dunc). He plays with width albeit sometimes this comes from the full backs but even when it does there is interaction with the full back and winger (the best of Moyes). 

The midfielders appear to be more recycling types rather than creators and that is what keeps them defensively sound and solid against the counter attack. 

He will also pick a style of play based on the players he has. It might be 5 at the back, but given what he has done before and what he was trying to do at Wolves, I would be a little surprised. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I have just been doing some more research on Nuno and he looks a lot more versatile than I thought. Crucially, I also think he fits in a lot more with what 'Evertonians' want. 

He has been vocal about not having possession for the sake of possession (aka not Martinez). He is not afraid to get the ball forward quickly and into the centre forward (best of big Dunc). He plays with width albeit sometimes this comes from the full backs but even when it does there is interaction with the full back and winger (the best of Moyes). 

The midfielders appear to be more recycling types rather than creators and that is what keeps them defensively sound and solid against the counter attack. 

He will also pick a style of play based on the players he has. It might be 5 at the back, but given what he has done before and what he was trying to do at Wolves, I would be a little surprised. 

Not animated with the 5 at the back for us it’s always ended up being 5 defenders defending with very little going forward from the right and left back. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Obviously injuries and player sales and maybe just fatigue (don’t forget their 2019/20 season spanned from 25th July 2019 to 11th August 2020 with a very short pre-season) were the biggest problem but Nuno’s insistence on playing 4 at the back and ‘trying to evolve’ was a big problem too. Coady can’t play in a back 4 especially not with Saiss - with Boly out the players suited the back 3 but Nuno was quite persistent and Wolves were pretty poor. I see positives in his appointment but this ‘lack of flexibility’ or ‘stubbornness’ is a worry - may not be either but still.

59 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Obviously injuries and player sales and maybe just fatigue (don’t forget their 2019/20 season spanned from 25th July 2019 to 11th August 2020 with a very short pre-season) were the biggest problem but Nuno’s insistence on playing 4 at the back and ‘trying to evolve’ was a big problem too. Coady can’t play in a back 4 especially not with Saiss - with Boly out the players suited the back 3 but Nuno was quite persistent and Wolves were pretty poor. I see positives in his appointment but this ‘lack of flexibility’ or ‘stubbornness’ is a worry - may not be either but still.

I think you can look at it two different ways. 

Yes there is stubborness about what he was trying to do this season and it wasn't working. There is a point where you have to go back to the drawing board.

The other way to look at it that he knew Wolves were only going to get so far in the way they were playing. He wanted them to be better and match the sides higher up the league for control of the game and chances. You have to go through the pain of changing players and roles to get them used to that system especially when they have known one way for so long. It wasn't like they were crap with 4 at the back, it just wasn't as well oiled. The injuries to the forwards dont help those at the back either because it places a lot of pressure on keeping a clean sheet when you don't believe you can get back into the game. 

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

As a man with a significant amount of ginger infecting my beard, I am looking forward to the grey!

Although in my mind it will make me look more distinguished than old but that could just be wishful thinking! 

😂 my beard started out as ginger and is turning grey. So fuck you Bailey!!!

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

IMO, they should be creators rather than recycling types.

Sadly, it appears that we're aspiring to be a mid-table team again.

10 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Good read that. I think everyone would benefit from reading that with an open mind.

While some might see parallels with hiring David Moyes from Preston, I read the article and was quite downcast. It's clear his style of play would start both Gomes and Sigurdsson in every game. Then there's the fact that he wouldn't have players at Everton he needs upfront for his approach, meaning we'd likely overpay for the players Wolves will soon be selling.

Forgive my negativity, but I'd rather see the swashbuckling style of Martinez' first season or our first game under Ancelotti. Now that made me look forward eagerly to the next game and sparked genuine hope of progress.

29 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Forgive my negativity, but I'd rather see the swashbuckling style of Martinez' first season or our first game under Ancelotti. Now that made me look forward eagerly to the next game and sparked genuine hope of progress.

We all want to see that. I think that's part of our problem.

Whoever comes in we know that we lack three things, pace, creativity and balance. 

We need a right back and please Lord we look like we are about to sign one. 

We need pace on the wings so hopefully that will come to this window in the form of a left and right winger / wide forward. 

We need cover / options for DCL, Richy, James when they are injured or out of form. 

Given the freeing up of wages due to players leaving, and money from Kean sale we should be able to deliver these signings.

I am pretty sure that Brands will be in charge of signings as managers as we have found out come and go, players should be added where needed to fill a gap or improve squad quality. Nuno will have a say but Brands will be in charge as he has to take longer term view.

I read an article this morning saying that we are signing Nuno and his old assistant who left him a couple of seasons ago, I hope this is the case because is best run at Wolves was before his assistant left to go and manage in Portugal as a number 1 in his own right.  

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I read an article this morning saying that we are signing Nuno and his old assistant who left him a couple of seasons ago, I hope this is the case because is best run at Wolves was before his assistant left to go and manage in Portugal as a number 1 in his own right.  

So just like Marko then?

For what it's worth, here's the result of our poll:

First choices (16-18 votes)

• Graham Potter
  • Antonio Conte
  • Ralf Rangnick

Second choices (11-13 votes)

• Rafael Benitez
  • Christophe Galtier
  • Nuno Espirito Santo
  • Duncan Ferguson
  • Lucien Favre

Third choices (7-10 votes)

• Marcelo Bielsa
  • Roberto Martinez
  • Paulo Fonseca
  • Sergio Conceicao
  • Scott Parker

Not wanted (2-5 votes)

• Rudi Garcia
  • David Moyes
  • Maurizio Sarri
  • Frank Lampard
  • Claudio Ranieri

Really not wanted (no votes)

• Eddie Howe
  • Andrea Pirlo

I don’t see there being any issue with his entourage, our last few managers all brought staff and took them with them when they left. 
I’m sure everything is just a formality now. Could be isolating going on or with Nuno or with people at the club, I’m sure whatever is delaying it won’t be too much of an issue. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

I don’t see there being any issue with his entourage, our last few managers all brought staff and took them with them when they left. 
I’m sure everything is just a formality now. Could be isolating going on or with Nuno or with people at the club, I’m sure whatever is delaying it won’t be too much of an issue. 

Its just a bit odd, I mean there is so much being said about it being him I don't doubt he is the next manager and I am now genuinely excited for him to start. I just want our new manager in so we we can start prep for next season asap, this includes assessing our current squad and making signings.

Its such a cliché but this is such an important transfer window and pre-season for us  we cant waste time. 

That and I'm bored. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

If it is Nuno why is it taking ao long as he is a free agent?

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Possibly the entourage he wants to bring with him (including a Gary Glitter lookalike).

Maybe he doesn’t want Ferguson as his assistant and a certain emotional blue in the boardroom is having to have counselling before it can be announced.