IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, c1982 said:

Fair enough if someone official from the club told you that but the 48hrs I read was all from papers - speculative at best.

I think he means the infamous “will he completed in the next 48 hours” Everton mantra. It’s been our fa purity phrase for years.

I got it Bill!

51 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Basically, yeah losing Jimenez was bad, but actually Nuno had already started to fall apart before that.  Sounds a bit like Martinez.  One good season and a half then it all falls apart.

8 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Basically, yeah losing Jimenez was bad, but actually Nuno had already started to fall apart before that.  Sounds a bit like Martinez.  One good season and a half then it all falls apart.

OK, but there were 3 good seasons for Nuno at Molineux.

18 minutes ago, Haiku said:

OK, but there were 3 good seasons for Nuno at Molineux.

I'll give you 2.5 if you're counting the one in the Championship where he brought a machine gun to a knife fight (let's not forget he was given so much $$ that wolves actually fell afoul of FFP and paid a penalty).  If you listen to wolves fans, the second season in the prem where they finished 7th actually showed the end was nigh and they scraped some very undeserved victories to get across the line. 

According to that article above "his methods had stopped working". 

20 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I don't know what it is with posts in this thread that are just factually untrue. To be clear (again) I don't want Nuno but bashing him over the head with mythical facts is just a bit silly. He had four years with Wolverhampton with the last one being the only where he was pretty poor - other than that he was well supported by the fans and was doing a good job. People in August last year were tipping them as dark horses for European football as under his tenure they'd been going up, up and up again. 

He took over when they had just finished in 14th and 15th in the Championship before flipping them in a single season to the Champions of the division. Of course they had help with the Portuguese influx (such as Ruben Neves) but the Championship is notorious as being one of the hardest divisions in world football to get out of - even if you spend the Earth and a penny. Whereas his time in the first season wasn't as fairytale as Leicester winning the Premier League it was commendable and shouldn't be brushed under the carpet.

Since bringing them to the Premier League he's finished in 7th twice, before dropping off the season just gone in 13th. This is with their top goalscorer of the last two seasons injured for 50% of the campaign (basically like us playing under Martinez without Lukaku and only Koné for assistance) and after losing the likes of Matt Doherty and Diego Jota in the summer. Whereas I don't think Santo is blameless (I'll stress again I don't want him here) to suddenly say that he has one good season and then falls apart is both factually untrue and a bit of a cop out when you look at the bigger picture. I think anyone, other than an elite coach would have struggled to drag this Wolves side to 7th in the table, especially when you consider they'd have to be better than Manchester City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs and an in form West Ham United to get there (not to mention Arsenal and Bielsa's Leeds who came in 8th & 9th!).

Sanity.

I would prefer Potter, but would be happy(ish) with Nuno, although if it was going to be him I would expect it to of been announced by now. Maybe the board have been reading this thread and have some doubts....

48 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Sanity.

I would prefer Potter, but would be happy(ish) with Nuno, although if it was going to be him I would expect it to of been announced by now. Maybe the board have been reading this thread and have some doubts....

Of course this is the reason. Listen to the grass roots, especially "thinking Evertonians".

I'm arguing that he had 1.5 good years in the prem or 2.5 total at wolves.  That's what the wolves fans in  linked article are saying.  He was good until Covid them everything feel apart. Season before last wolves fans say they were lucky to get seventh.  

I don't know the truth of any of that, haven't really watched them, but it doesn't sound great.

41 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

I'm arguing that he had 1.5 good years in the prem or 2.5 total at wolves.  That's what the wolves fans in  linked article are saying.  He was good until Covid them everything feel apart. Season before last wolves fans say they were lucky to get seventh.  

I don't know the truth of any of that, haven't really watched them, but it doesn't sound great.

I wish we were lucky enough to get seventh. 

18 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I don't know what it is with posts in this thread that are just factually untrue. To be clear (again) I don't want Nuno but bashing him over the head with mythical facts is just a bit silly. He had four years with Wolverhampton with the last one being the only where he was pretty poor - other than that he was well supported by the fans and was doing a good job. People in August last year were tipping them as dark horses for European football as under his tenure they'd been going up, up and up again. 

He took over when they had just finished in 14th and 15th in the Championship before flipping them in a single season to the Champions of the division. Of course they had help with the Portuguese influx (such as Ruben Neves) but the Championship is notorious as being one of the hardest divisions in world football to get out of - even if you spend the Earth and a penny. Whereas his time in the first season wasn't as fairytale as Leicester winning the Premier League it was commendable and shouldn't be brushed under the carpet.

Since bringing them to the Premier League he's finished in 7th twice, before dropping off the season just gone in 13th. This is with their top goalscorer of the last two seasons injured for 50% of the campaign (basically like us playing under Martinez without Lukaku and only Koné for assistance) and after losing the likes of Matt Doherty and Diego Jota in the summer. Whereas I don't think Santo is blameless (I'll stress again I don't want him here) to suddenly say that he has one good season and then falls apart is both factually untrue and a bit of a cop out when you look at the bigger picture. I think anyone, other than an elite coach would have struggled to drag this Wolves side to 7th in the table, especially when you consider they'd have to be better than Manchester City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs and an in form West Ham United to get there (not to mention Arsenal and Bielsa's Leeds who came in 8th & 9th!).

Good post.

I think it was just a contribution of different factors that led to Wolves' indifferent season last year. Part of that is the personnel problems you have alluded to and there was some disruption caused by the changes Nuno was trying to make. It is testament to the job he has done that 13th was considered a bad season and I would have fully expected them to bounce back again this season if he was still in charge.

17 minutes ago, GoonerJeeves said:

Would there be any animosity towards Rafa? Considering he has managed Liverpool. He is a proven manager, knows the area and the league.

I am not sure there would be animosity as such but he would have to do more than most to win a portion of the fan base over.

1 hour ago, GoonerJeeves said:

Would there be any animosity towards Rafa? Considering he has managed Liverpool. He is a proven manager, knows the area and the league.

There would be a fair bit, yes. Which is why I hope we don't go down that route. He's a good manager but as soon as we had a rough patch (which is inevitable) too many would turn on him and the atmosphere would get toxic very quickly, leading to us probably sacking him. We need stability and continuity and I don't think that would be possible with Rafa.

Just now, Hafnia said:

Conte being mentioned.... I'd love that just to watch him lash half the team in for double training sessions and fines for none effort. 

I think he's my favourite too, and I'm not a fan of his at all. But he ticks all the boxes; disciplinarian, successful, high-profile name to attract players.

Just now, Matt said:

I think he's my favourite too, and I'm not a fan of his at all. But he ticks all the boxes; disciplinarian, successful, high-profile name to attract players.

Yeah plus there is the clear indication that he will seriously shift the mentality at the club...... He's absolutely no nonsense and a full on arse kicker. The players will be petrified of him.