IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I just have this gut feeling it's gonna be Howe in the end. 

Fuck me, why did I even bother waking up today. I was the first one to post about it last night, assuming (like many others on here) that it was another bullshit rumor. As @MikeOsaid, it all happened so fast. Or at least, it did in front of the cameras. This might have been days/weeks in the planning

He was always my dream manager. This doesn't happen over night. He's run back to a team that discarded him for an easy, better paid ride. Fuck him.  

22 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I just have this gut feeling it's gonna be Howe in the end. 

Fuck me, why did I even bother waking up today. I was the first one to post about it last night, assuming (like many others on here) that it was another bullshit rumor. As @MikeOsaid, it all happened so fast. Or at least, it did in front of the cameras. This might have been days/weeks in the planning

You're deluded if you think that this happened in the space of a few days mate, Zidane resigned because (in his own words) his relationship with Florentine Perez (Real Madrid's President) had changed and he didn't feel as though he had the backing to rebuild the squad. Put 2 + 2 together and it's more than likely because he had already contacted Carlo and had a verbal agreement. 

Things like salary, a place to live, budget for next season, bonus payments etc will have all been negotiated over the course of a few weeks - the legal side of things in itself would have taken days or weeks to smooth out. The fact that they have officially announced him so soon (in the public eye) says to me that this was on the books for a long time. 

I'm really dissapointed, but the more you think about it the more it adds up that Ancelotti just didn't want to be here anymore and was always one step out of the door - in some ways I can't blame him (Everton glasses on the bedside table) but I'm still just gutted as he seemed on paper to be invested in the project and us as a club.

58 minutes ago, barryj said:

Gone out to play golf and come back to no manager. I’ll read the Carlo thread when I get in but first thoughts are that I’m angry, surprised and disappointed. Constantly a rebuilding project. Let’s hope whoever we get doesn’t give Siggy another chance. 

Disappointment for me...hes talked a lot of shit in his time with us looking back

Genuinely not a clue who we could get. 

Big no’s for me:

Nuno & Howe - but they could be likely.

Out there Options:

Lampard & Gerrard

Safe Options:

Moyes & Benitez

Big Name:

Conte

Luckily Moyes should be happy where he is, he's done well at Wham and I couldn't stand the thought of him taking over when he's finished higher than us the last season as if he was the saviour all along. Same reason I wouldn't want us to rehire any previous managers. 

Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard etc can all get in the bin. We're not a stepping stone club where you learn how to manage at the top level. 

I do think though that we've been spoilt by the Ancelotti signing. I'm not sure we could pull off that kind of calibre back to back so let's just see who's interested and take it from there. It's going to be an interesting summer to say the least. 

Just gotta trust the board. We're fucked! 😂

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

I don’t want Rafa mostly because of the reds, not bothered how petty that is. But he doesn’t exactly get his teams playing attractive football either. I’d rather we try to do something exciting. Who that is? I’ve no idea. 

That is my feeling too. It feels as though our football has been pretty awful since that first Martinez season. It would be nice to enjoy watching us play again!

Requirements...

• Has managed teams in the Premier League
  • Has taken a Premier League team to Europe in his first season
  • Demonstrates an attractive style of play
  • Able to turn a bunch of average players into an above-average team
  • Has won silverware, preferably in England
  • Could convince some leading players to join him
  • Is young enough that he could manage a decade-long project

For the record, Martinez meets all these requirements. What about the negatives?

1. Naive approach to defence. Is this still true? Belgium, under his tenure, has been praised for its "defensive solidity", but they still give away about a goal a game. To compensate, they did win every single game in Euro-2000 qualifiers.
  2. Too stubborn to change his approach. It's certainly true that, at Belgium, he's stuck with the same 3-4-2-1 in virtually every game. Can he adapt?
  3. He's committed to his current team, Belgium, and the Euros are coming up. This would undermine summer recruitment and season preparation.
  4. Would he stay with Everton if a top team came hunting? It's no secret that, ultimately, he would love to manage Barcelona.
  5. Those leading players he could convince to join him might include Romelu Lukaku. (Can we restart the thread?)

only just heard the news after a nice day out - 

I am so disappointed its back to square one, and thought we had been so lucky getting a manager of Ancelotti's stature and pulling power. However, as much as I have been behind him and hoping we where building towards something really exciting, I have not been without concern as we approach the end of the season, particular some of his after match interviews where you could see he couldn't understand why he was not getting the performances out of his players at the business end of the season, bringing Delph of all people of the bench. Signing wise - James and Allan are Ancelotti's - Doucoure and Godfrey are Brands - Ancelotti seemed surprised how good the later two players have been. 

my reading in to all this - Ancelotti has spend a lot of his career  as the manager of world class players and teams - he's been able to get them to be able to confidently go on to pitch and do their stuff. He gives his players and staff ownership - this approach works well when you have a collection of worldies, but maybe not so much with less gifted players who maybe need a bit more direction - its been a long time since he has had to build a team, I think he is actually finding the challenge Everton project harder than he thought it would be and has basically bottled it - for me going back to Real is maybe more comfortable for him. If he has doubts in his own mind that he might struggle to build a team (which I think he must have to jump ship), then perhaps him moving on is best for all parties - at least we will get some compensation rather than paying millions out in 6 to 12months time.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind Eddie Howe getting his chance at taking the reigns. At the very least he is one of us.

28 minutes ago, StevO said:

If Roberto could compromise on his defensive ideas I’d love him back. But I don’t see him ever compromising. 

I think the biggest thing that limited Martinez was our budget. Having to sign Alcaraz on a free because we were so skint. I’d be happy to see Martinez back personally.

19 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think the biggest thing that limited Martinez was our budget. Having to sign Alcaraz on a free because we were so skint. I’d be happy to see Martinez back personally.

I don’t think the budget helped, but when he did the interview with Carragher saying he’d rather lose playing attractive football than win by compromising his style of football I was done with him. 

There’s no way Martinez wants to come back after the way he lost everyone’s support. He’s managing the #1 international team in the world with Euros and the World Cup both rapidly approaching. That one is absolutely not happening even if he might be our best option.

28 minutes ago, StevO said:

I don’t think the budget helped, but when he did the interview with Carragher saying he’d rather lose playing attractive football than win by compromising his style of football I was done with him. 

Yeah I understand your point. I just love that type of football, it’s intricate and attractive. I started following us during the Moyes era and Martinez was such a refreshing change to go to the big clubs with out fear. I hope he has progressed as manager because that mindset you mentioned is what lost us the game away against Kiev really.