IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

i'm split on Howe, he was awful (and i mean truly awful) at recruitment, but here he wouldn't have to worry about that with Brands (i'm not his biggest fan, but he is nowhere close to eddie howe levels of bad recruitment).  He could concentrate on the pitch and training room more.  he's a blue.  

potter - i've read a few articles about him back when he was managing ostersund, and how he's worked his way up and really is kinda the future modern manager.  possession, passing, multiple formations, tactically flexible.  if we are going for the up and comer it sounds like he is a good option.  only negative - mates with Graeme Jones.  also he's being linked to spurs which if that is real, he's going there not here.

i don't even know if we have the clout anymore to get a ten hag, lucien favre, etc.  honestly this has really soured me.  usually positive person, but if we end up with some PL re-tread (bilic, etc) it will test my limits of being a fan.

I hope there's not a worse thread somewhere else.

Because COME ON! Howe? Dude couldn't organize a defence is his life depended on it. Bombed outside of Bournemouth. Poor signings suggest he doesn't have much of an eye for talent. Being a blue is not something to consider. We should hire the best possible coach not someone who happens to be a fan. These guys do this for a living and being a supporter has no bearing on that.

Martinez? The same Martinez who destroyed a good team in less than 18 months? Couldn't organize a defense either and on top of that after the first season couldn't organize an attack either. People seem to forget how boring his tiki-taka was. Endlessly passing the ball back and sideways with zero penetration or urgency. Fans absolutely hated that and the "that was a magnificient game" after every dross match.

Potter would be a risk. How would he work with better players? Did he just strike lucky with a few good signings? I don't think his squad is that bad, especially midfield but defense also has some decent players. Still 100x better than the first two options.

Benitez can just fuck off. As can Moyes.

Erik ten Hag might be great or might be the next Frank de Boer or Philip Cocu. Dutch League is a tree-horse race and ten Hag's greatest accomplishment came from having some of the greatest talents in Europe in his squad at the time. Hard to tell but way better choice than anyone above.

Paulo Fonseca is available but seems to get most interest from Wolves. Bit of a mixed bag. Great with Shaktar but more mixed results in Serie A. Good run in the Europa League but domestically so-so. Apparently Moshiri interviewed him before choosing Silva so might not even be in the running this time.

NES seems to reliant on Mendes. Looked great at some point but this season was poor.

This thread is hurting my soul :lol:.

What I will say is that Brands has an enormous job on his hands with this. While he needs to be careful with making this decision, he also can't let it drag on and on because the new manager (whoever that ends up being) needs time to bring his players in and get them bedded in. Also, there's no doubt that Moshiri and Kenwright will both be trying to muscle in and stick an oar (or 5!) into the process.

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

If Roberto could compromise on his defensive ideas I’d love him back. But I don’t see him ever compromising. 

I don’t know I think having the Belgium job has opened up eyes to the importance of a balanced team. Yes he still probably advocates a more attack minded style of football, which would be great because isn’t that what we all thought was missing from Ancelotti’s play, and he was meant to of been addressing that this window. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Also, there's no doubt that Moshiri and Kenwright will both be trying to muscle in and stick an oar (or 5!) into the process.

Your spot on there, it wouldn’t surprise in the least if Bill hasn’t already contacted Moyes. 

49 minutes ago, Bill said:

Carlo Ancellotti, Marco Silva, Ronald Koeman, Roberto Martinez, we've tried them all and they've failed.

Time to go back to basics, like Hafnia said Everton is a good job for the young ambitious manager so who is in the running. ?  There are too numerous to name so I'm just going to put one forward. The only unbeaten manager in Evertons long history ..... Duncan Ferguson.

Called on in an emergency and took charge  for 3 very difficult premier league games ... (Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal) and a caribou cup game against Leicester.  Won 1 Drawn 3.

Was there ever a better feeling for the Fans than to see Duncan racing up and down the touchline hugging the Ball Boys when they beat Chelsea 3-1, and have the players ever given as much for any other Manager as the did for Duncan. Goodison Park was bouncing like its not bounced before, or since.

This suggestion will probably be laughed at by a lot of people, but the Club itself is becoming a laughing stock to the rest of football, we've tried the so called best, now let's try the rest.

I'd love Duncan. Like I said before, someone who loves the club and will do anything for it. The only downside is as soon as his tenure is over he isnt realistically going to be part of the club anymore. He cant go from management and step back down into a coaching role. 

It might be naive, but if we want to put someone in the role that we know for certain is 100% committed, Duncan is the man. 

I've been a poor judge in the past so take my comments with a pinch of salt (most do anyway 🤣).

I think we've been round the block with mangers. It feels strange to see that 3 out of 4 of our previous managers are in top, top jobs. And only one of them wasn't our decision of choice - deemed not good enough for us. Throw in Moyes too if you like (in terms of doing a good job).

Trust in a 'big name' isn't there for me. I just think these guys won't stick around or buy into the project. Rather, they'll wait for the next vacancy at a 'big club' and go. With that, we can't complain. We've sacked managers plenty in the last 5 years, so as fans and as a club we have kind of made our own bed.

If we want someone who we know will show loyalty, knows what the fans want, knows the club, will give it his all and some with unquestionable resolve and will stand for absolutely no bullshit from the players then its Duncan Ferguson. Sorry, but if fans want this illustrious figure, he's the only one who will do it.

The downside is experience- although he's worked under plenty now. That also adds a bit of a negative as I'm pretty sure most of us wonder where Dunc is when all is going poorly. He does seem to respect his manager and not want to overtalk him, so to speak. Maybe too much. Would he attract the players we need? And, behind all the chest thumping passion, is there enough tactical nous?

He has the personal traits we want. Maybe just doesn't have the credentials we desire.

He's not even mentioned in the odds. Nuno seems to be favourite, who I'd be fine with.

But, yet again, it needs to be said that whoever it is needs time. We shit ourselves as soon as we get a bad run of results. Maybe expectations need to settle in the short term.

Happy to discuss.

48 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I'd love Duncan. Like I said before, someone who loves the club and will do anything for it. The only downside is as soon as his tenure is over he isnt realistically going to be part of the club anymore. He cant go from management and step back down into a coaching role. 

It might be naive, but if we want to put someone in the role that we know for certain is 100% committed, Duncan is the man. 

Colin Harvey did.

44 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I've been a poor judge in the past so take my comments with a pinch of salt (most do anyway 🤣).

I think we've been round the block with mangers. It feels strange to see that 3 out of 4 of our previous managers are in top, top jobs. And only one of them wasn't our decision of choice - deemed not good enough for us. Throw in Moyes too if you like (in terms of doing a good job).

Trust in a 'big name' isn't there for me. I just think these guys won't stick around or buy into the project. Rather, they'll wait for the next vacancy at a 'big club' and go. With that, we can't complain. We've sacked managers plenty in the last 5 years, so as fans and as a club we have kind of made our own bed.

If we want someone who we know will show loyalty, knows what the fans want, knows the club, will give it his all and some with unquestionable resolve and will stand for absolutely no bullshit from the players then its Duncan Ferguson. Sorry, but if fans want this illustrious figure, he's the only one who will do it.

The downside is experience- although he's worked under plenty now. That also adds a bit of a negative as I'm pretty sure most of us wonder where Dunc is when all is going poorly. He does seem to respect his manager and not want to overtalk him, so to speak. Maybe too much. Would he attract the players we need? And, behind all the chest thumping passion, is there enough tactical nous?

He has the personal traits we want. Maybe just doesn't have the credentials we desire.

He's not even mentioned in the odds. Nuno seems to be favourite, who I'd be fine with.

But, yet again, it needs to be said that whoever it is needs time. We shit ourselves as soon as we get a bad run of results. Maybe expectations need to settle in the short term.

Happy to discuss.

yeah i've been horrible at picking the managers too, i was all hot for roberto, ronald, marco and carlo!  honestly at this point i feel nihilistic, don't even care who they appoint becauase we'll probably be 10th again.

41 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Ferguson said himself that he couldn't do the job, it was too stressful for him. And, there was nothing technical about what he did. He just fired them up and sent them out there. It worked at first but it had run it's course by the time his stint was over. It was shown against United that you need more than fire in the belly. 

Ferguson would not be right at all imo. It would be a disaster and there'd be no coming back from it for him if it went as wrong as would be likely.

I know you don't rate Duncan Mark, but there's nothing to say he'll still be there anyway, cos when the new manager comes in he might want his own people.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

This thread is hurting my soul :lol:.

What I will say is that Brands has an enormous job on his hands with this. While he needs to be careful with making this decision, he also can't let it drag on and on because the new manager (whoever that ends up being) needs time to bring his players in and get them bedded in. Also, there's no doubt that Moshiri and Kenwright will both be trying to muscle in and stick an oar (or 5!) into the process.

I think we almost need to look at this process in a different way. We have a DoF now. The players shouldnt be changing with every manager. The manager should be brought in to compliment the players we have. 

As an example, as we move forward the two recent signings we are likely to have problems with are going to be James and Allan whilst Doucoure and Godfrey are likely to be solid. Niels is a question mark at the moment but I suspect that under a nee manager we will see more of him. 

Brands is the one with the vision and more importantly the experience so I just hope the owners utilise that. After all he somehow managed to get Cocu to win the league with PSV! 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Carlo Ancellotti, Marco Silva, Ronald Koeman, Roberto Martinez, we've tried them all and they've failed.

Time to go back to basics, like Hafnia said Everton is a good job for the young ambitious manager so who is in the running. ?  There are too numerous to name so I'm just going to put one forward. The only unbeaten manager in Evertons long history ..... Duncan Ferguson.

Called on in an emergency and took charge  for 3 very difficult premier league games ... (Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal) and a caribou cup game against Leicester.  Won 1 Drawn 3.

Was there ever a better feeling for the Fans than to see Duncan racing up and down the touchline hugging the Ball Boys when they beat Chelsea 3-1, and have the players ever given as much for any other Manager as the did for Duncan. Goodison Park was bouncing like its not bounced before, or since.

This suggestion will probably be laughed at by a lot of people, but the Club itself is becoming a laughing stock to the rest of football, we've tried the so called best, now let's try the rest.

I would love to see the experiment but I don't see it happening or ending well if I am honest. 

The Chelsea game was something else. I think there was more to him tactically than is given credit for but it was all very much back to basics and hard graft. I don't know how that plays out over a season. 

9 minutes ago, DavisJD said:

Is Conte still available?

Throw a few of Usamov’s kitchen sinks at him.

With Conte I just feel that we will be in this position again in 12-18 months time. 

Looks like were opening talks with nuno today according to myers. He also says David Moyes is also a 'front runner'. 

Would Moyes leave WHU for a return to Goodison? Possibly. An agreement wasn't reached for him to extend his stay the first time round at WHU but its u clear if that was his or the clubs decision, my guess is the clubs. Moyes doesn't have to be loyal to his current employer. 

I'm not sure who I prefer out of those two. Im not sure Nuno would be the right choice considering our current starting XI, and Moyes is another excuse to build and I have no doubt if he did come here it would be for at least the next 3 seasons. 

25 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Nuno is maybe the most realistic option. I've always thought he did a good job at Wolves, enjoyable to watch, he came across well. What would the objections be to this man?

It seemed to me that when he had his full-strength side, able to play the 3-4-3 that worked so well for them, they were a damn good team. But when they had a few injuries (Jimenez the biggest) and had to switch formations, they seemed totally inept. 

Makes me a bit worried to see a manager unable to cope with circumstances and still get the team to perform

5 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It seemed to me that when he had his full-strength side, able to play the 3-4-3 that worked so well for them, they were a damn good team. But when they had a few injuries (Jimenez the biggest) and had to switch formations, they seemed totally inept. 

Makes me a bit worried to see a manager unable to cope with circumstances and still get the team to perform

Playing devil's advocate here...you mean like Carlo Ancelotti, one of the finest in world football, also couldn't do with us?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I know you don't rate Duncan Mark, but there's nothing to say he'll still be there anyway, cos when the new manager comes in he might want his own people.

I'd be fine with it if he wasn't kept around, but there's a difference between being let go in that way and fucking things up as the manager and being thrown out of the club on his ear.

27 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I can't believe that David Moyes is being mentioned.

Kenwright. It's as simple as that.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don’t know I think having the Belgium job has opened up eyes to the importance of a balanced team. Yes he still probably advocates a more attack minded style of football, which would be great because isn’t that what we all thought was missing from Ancelotti’s play, and he was meant to of been addressing that this window. 

I’ve since heard him on Jamie Carraghers podcast, doesn’t seem to have changed one bit to be fair. Though I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.