IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’ve since heard him on Jamie Carraghers podcast, doesn’t seem to have changed one bit to be fair. Though I’d give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I'd take Roberto Martinez over a lot of the names that have been thrown about, but I'd still have major reservations as I can remember what our football was like towards the back end of his tenure and can also remember (more clearly) how toxic Goodison was in his final chapter too.

To put on record, I would take him over Nuno Santo too.

What is the fascination with going back to something we've had before? It's bewildering. May as well throw Marco Silva in the mix too.

Evertonians living in the past is embarrassing.

If we bring Moyes back in particular then I will not be making use of my season ticket next season. I don't care how much I've missed going.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It seemed to me that when he had his full-strength side, able to play the 3-4-3 that worked so well for them, they were a damn good team. But when they had a few injuries (Jimenez the biggest) and had to switch formations, they seemed totally inept. 

Makes me a bit worried to see a manager unable to cope with circumstances and still get the team to perform

This for me too, with Jimenez he got them Europa league and 7th place.  He got them to the quarterfinals.  We have DCL who isn’t like for like but is a goal scorer.  But like you said, it all kinda fell apart from there.  Also they sold Diogo Jota, not sure why (did he not fit in, or they just needed the money?)  one other thing is maybe he could get the Brazilian/Portuguese contingent playing better, real stretch there but maybe he gets them culturally/language wise more.  Shot in the dark.

Id be more excited about Nuno than Howe, but like most have said it’s not a  super exciting appointment.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

Nuno is maybe the most realistic option. I've always thought he did a good job at Wolves, enjoyable to watch, he came across well. What would the objections be to this man?

14 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Sky reporting that we've opened talks with Nuno Santo, just such a mediocre appointment and a name that makes me feel how I did when we signed Marco Silva. It just seems like a cheap and easy option and not someone that I'm overly excited about.

I am in the Zoo camp about Nuno.

Dont get me wrong, he would be a very solid manager and I am sure we would consistently be there or thereabouts. 

For me though he is a manager that sets his side up to be tough to beat and I don't think they are a particularly entertaining side. He knows that and that is why this season he tried to do something a little different and it didnt work out. Selling one star and having the other struck down by injury would be like us losing Dom and Richarlison at the same time for a long spell but I just found they didnt look the same side in midfield or at the back. 

Maybe a bit of solid is just what we need now. It isnt a signing I would be excited about.

18 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Truth be told, he's mine, too, but the reaction would be mixed, for sure. His first season here was truly excellent, and we played great football with average players.

If we got Moyes back first to sort the defence  out then it might work for a few months before we started leaking goals again and started achieving ‘phenomenal’ thrashings at Analfield 

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

What is the fascination with going back to something we've had before? It's bewildering. May as well throw Marco Silva in the mix too.

If we bring Moyes back in particular then I will not be making use of my season ticket next season. I don't care how much I've missed going.

Come on Romey that's BS and you know it. Moyes has the best record since Kendall and Roberto set the PL points record. They have a proven track record of success here. Failure too granted, but success is important. Marco Silva is a bum. 

Hiring a manager for 2nd time isn't living in the past, it is analyzing the situation and trying to figure out who is best. We all have different opinions on who that should be but living in the past has nothing to do with it. If i recall correctly Kendall did ok the 2nd time around? Real Madrid the biggest club in the world who could have the pick of the litter just 'recycled' with Carlo. Had Zidane twice as well. Jose won titles in two different spells at Chelsea. It is possible to be successful the 2nd time around. 

7 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Come on Romey that's BS and you know it. Moyes has the best record since Kendall and Roberto set the PL points record. They have a proven track record of success here. Failure too granted, but success is important. Marco Silva is a bum. 

Hiring a manager for 2nd time isn't living in the past, it is analyzing the situation and trying to figure out who is best. We all have different opinions on who that should be but living in the past has nothing to do with it. If i recall correctly Kendall did ok the 2nd time around? Real Madrid the biggest club in the world who could have the pick of the litter just 'recycled' with Carlo. Had Zidane twice as well. Jose won titles in two different spells at Chelsea. It is possible to be successful the 2nd time around. 

It’s not BS at all.

Martinez’ first season was fantastic, I really thought we were on to something. But for two years after that is was fucking atrocious. I was bored out of my mind watching us play because the attack went to absolute shit. Not only that, though, but we couldn’t defend either so we couldn’t score and we couldn’t stop conceding. Lovely. Yes, I can totally see the appeal of going back there.

Moyes stayed too long the first time. He should have been gone a year or two before he shit on us. And shit on us he did - he knew United wanted him and let his contract run down meaning we got fuck all compensation for him. Then he carried on shitting on us by being involved in the insulting bid for Baines and Fellaini and then acted like the big I am over it all. Oh and then he called Everton fans a disgrace. This is without bringing his shambolic record against the top sides in his tenure here.

By all means, though, let’s consider these two stellar candidates for the job. It makes perfect sense. 

57 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Dibs!

After Silva went I would have had no objection at all to Rafa. He's won things, still has a house on Merseyside and gets the city. Of course he has history but I reckon he'd rise to the challenge to turn things around at the club and attract potential signings. Potter wouldn't and I'm not keen on the idea of Nuno.

Just read somewhere that Wolves have been sounding Rafa out.

28 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s not BS at all.

Martinez’ first season was fantastic, I really thought we were on to something. But for two years after that is was fucking atrocious. I was bored out of my mind watching us play because the attack went to absolute shit. Not only that, though, but we couldn’t defend either so we couldn’t score and we couldn’t stop conceding. Lovely. Yes, I can totally see the appeal of going back there.

Moyes stayed too long the first time. He should have been gone a year or two before he shit on us. And shit on us he did - he knew United wanted him and let his contract run down meaning we got fuck all compensation for him. Then he carried on shitting on us by being involved in the insulting bid for Baines and Fellaini and then acted like the big I am over it all. Oh and then he called Everton fans a disgrace. This is without bringing his shambolic record against the top sides in his tenure here.

By all means, though, let’s consider these two stellar candidates for the job. It makes perfect sense. 

No need to go down an extended rabbit hole here. I guess it's a matter of perspective and while I agree with some of what you said above overall I feel that a DoF and more funds could help Moyes (or Roberto) be successful. 

On Moyes I don't see it the same way as you in terms of contracts, bids and the like. And if we're going to say Moyes called Everton fans a disgrace we're going to have to trust every fan's first-hand accounts of private interactions. No thanks. 

The more I think about it I reckon he had someone's ear at RM and knew weeks ago that Zidane was on his way out and Perez wanted him back. Results since the Burnley defeat in mid-March were hardly inspiring, he was going through the motions of managing.

6 hours ago, Bill said:

Carlo Ancellotti, Marco Silva, Ronald Koeman, Roberto Martinez, we've tried them all and they've failed.

Time to go back to basics, like Hafnia said Everton is a good job for the young ambitious manager so who is in the running. ?  There are too numerous to name so I'm just going to put one forward. The only unbeaten manager in Evertons long history ..... Duncan Ferguson.

Called on in an emergency and took charge  for 3 very difficult premier league games ... (Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal) and a caribou cup game against Leicester.  Won 1 Drawn 3.

Was there ever a better feeling for the Fans than to see Duncan racing up and down the touchline hugging the Ball Boys when they beat Chelsea 3-1, and have the players ever given as much for any other Manager as the did for Duncan. Goodison Park was bouncing like its not bounced before, or since.

This suggestion will probably be laughed at by a lot of people, but the Club itself is becoming a laughing stock to the rest of football, we've tried the so called best, now let's try the rest.

Poetry to my ears Bill I love big Dunc and all he stands for and believes in, it’s convincing Moshiri of the same and I honestly don’t think he will listen. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Returning managers or talk of seems to be the theme for 21/22 season, Carlo going back to Madrid talk of Poch going back to Spurs and Moyes coming back here, didn’t do olly to bad for his second stint at Utd. 
At least we could sing the return of the Moyes to the tune return of the Mac. And his second stint at WHU isn’t going to bad. 

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I'd take Roberto Martinez over a lot of the names that have been thrown about, but I'd still have major reservations as I can remember what our football was like towards the back end of his tenure and can also remember (more clearly) how toxic Goodison was in his final chapter too.

To put on record, I would take him over Nuno Santo too.

It was toxic, because he was our first manager after Moyes. We were not used to the dross we're used to today. In season when we advanced to knock out stages of League Europa, and qualified to the semi-finals of both domestic cups and finishing 12th in the best league in the world while having bang average players and ZERO depth. I think we were very harsh towards him. 

4 minutes ago, Haiku said:

It was toxic, because he was our first manager after Moyes. We were not used to the dross we're used to today. In season when we advanced to knock out stages of League Europa, and qualified to the semi-finals of both domestic cups and finishing 12th in the best league in the world while having bang average players and ZERO depth. I think we were very harsh towards him. 

Hope you're on the wind up there, the football was diabolical in the games after the first season and he should have gone sooner - it's not going over the top to suggest that we were heading straight for relegation, in fact I remember the game against QPR being something of a six pointer because both sides were desperate for a win. 

The fact that I would have Martinez over Santo doesn't mean I want either, just that I think the latter would be even more of a disaster.

@Romey 1878 in his earlier post sums up exactly my thoughts on the matter.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

After Silva went I would have had no objection at all to Rafa. He's won things, still has a house on Merseyside and gets the city. Of course he has history but I reckon he'd rise to the challenge to turn things around at the club and attract potential signings. Potter wouldn't and I'm not keen on the idea of Nuno.

Just read somewhere that Wolves have been sounding Rafa out.

Wolves have Lage or whatever sown up.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

The more I think about it I reckon he had someone's ear at RM and knew weeks ago that Zidane was on his way out and Perez wanted him back. Results since the Burnley defeat in mid-March were hardly inspiring, he was going through the motions of managing.

And James fucking off before the last game.  Wouldn't be surprised at all that Carlo knew or at least sense he might be on his way.

--

Happy to take my lumps if it falls apart but I'd at least want Dunc on record now saying he doesn't want the job.  If that's not the case then give him the reigns and get extra insurance for the ball boys.

5 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It seemed to me that when he had his full-strength side, able to play the 3-4-3 that worked so well for them, they were a damn good team. But when they had a few injuries (Jimenez the biggest) and had to switch formations, they seemed totally inept. 

Makes me a bit worried to see a manager unable to cope with circumstances and still get the team to perform

Bit like Carlo?