IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

18 hours ago, Isaiah said:

Christ, all we need now is for Koeman to get the bullet from Barca and the press will be able to throw all our former managers into the mix. 

That said, I recently read a good interview with Marco and he's apparently spent his time away from management studying the game in various ways, so who knows? Honestly I wouldn't be all that disappointed to take a look at what he's learnt (I'm NOT saying he'd be my choice of manager; just that at this point it's all just a lottery to me, who the hell knows what will work at Everton right now?).

Ferguson - no. I love him but if his one main skill is geeing up apathetic players then why didn't he employ that skill against all those cannon fodder teams who were taking us to the cleaners last season? It was presumably one of his roles. Could he not have taken a few of them aside in the tunnel during half time against Sheffield United and given them a glimpse of why he was incarcerated? I was under the impression that Carlo was the tactics man and Ferguson was the passion man (otherwise why is he even there?). So where was it at the tail end of last season?

Moyes, also no for me, his behaviour after he left was arrogant and disrespectful, and honestly I think last season with West Ham was a freakish occurance. 

Martinez, yeah I'd take him. He can only have learnt in the time since he left. He has the respect of some of the best players in the world at Belgium, many of whom ply their day trade under other world class managers. You don't get that if you're a mug. 

Let's see, who else? Walter Smith, no, I am still having twice weekly therapy sessions over his signing of Ibrahima Bakayoko. Mike Walker? Well, he brought Big Dunc to the club on loan but he's pushing 80 now and I question if he has the energy for the modern game. 

Like I said earlier, I'm honestly a bit apathetic to whoever gets the gig, because I don't think our problem is fundamentally one of who the manager is. Some of those performances last season were indicative of a team that is rotten to the core, and it's for that reason I'm not all that sorry to see Carlo go. First and foremost we need a clearout of playing staff over the next year or so (keep about 8 of them). Baines, Pienaar, Coleman, Cahill, DCL, Godfrey, none of these were big signings, yet they have been and are our most important players. Stuff your James Rodriguezes, get someone in who has an eye for the next Cahill, the next Baines, the next Godfrey (easier said than done, I know). We need a proper old-school coach. These boutique "I'll harness a team of big-ego superstars to victory" managers aren't what we need.  

My thoughts exactly. I know Dunc "energized" the team in his brief stint, but it would be naive to think that part of that wasn't down to the players knowing they were also playing for the next incoming manager. 

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Brands will be hiring someone who fits in with his philosophy

What is his philosophy?  We’ve had Silva, fat Sam, and Carlo.  Most on here would agree that under all 3 we played defensive counterattacking football that wasn’t pretty.  So is that his philosophy?  Shitty looking 10th place football?  

not on the wind up here I’m being honest.  There is this thought that since he’s Dutch he wants progressive attacking (total football) possession football.  We have never really seen that. 

If brands track record is anything to go by someone like Nuno who is defensive might be the most likely.

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Conte likes a challenge.  He is a proven winner at every level (working his way up in a lower league).  He won a lot at juve and left for the Italy job.  Won the premier league with Chelsea. Won the league with inter.  I don’t care how short term he is a winner.  If Spurs got him that sucks because he will get them winning and tough to beat.  

He's 51 and in the prime of his management career (Carlo presumably thought Everton would be his last 'big' job given no major team was interested in him when he signed for us). I think the 'challenge' Conte wants right now is winning titles and Champions Leagues, not getting a midtable club into the Europa League within 3 seasons, which is realistically what success looks like for us at the moment. Spurs at least have the likes of Kane and Son to offer him, plus they're a London team and a regular in Europe. Don't get me wrong I'd like him here, but realistically it just isn't happening. He's one of the hottest properties in management right now. Carlo wasn't, which is why we got him.  

I wouldn't mind Lampard but if we're going down that route then call me sentimental but I'd have a better feeling about Rooney. It's based on nothing other than a gut instinct but I think he could be good for us at this time in our history. 

edit: he might prise his kid away from United's academy too, he's looking the business. 

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

:crying:

Seriously he gave a lot of the young players a shot at Chelsea and they are still in the team playing for Tuchel he also bought players in that are still playing for Tuchel, admittedly Tuchel maybe getting more out of them but Lampard had the vision to progress them or buy them, and for a young and relatively in experienced manager he didn’t do at all bad, he just needs a team grow and he could quite easily become a very good manager. 

58 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

He's 51 and in the prime of his management career (Carlo presumably thought Everton would be his last 'big' job given no major team was interested in him when he signed for us). I think the 'challenge' Conte wants right now is winning titles and Champions Leagues, not getting a midtable club into the Europa League within 3 seasons, which is realistically what success looks like for us at the moment. Spurs at least have the likes of Kane and Son to offer him, plus they're a London team and a regular in Europe. Don't get me wrong I'd like him here, but realistically it just isn't happening. He's one of the hottest properties in management right now. Carlo wasn't, which is why we got him.  

Conte has just apparantly turned down Spurs as he isnt convinced them he can win things with them and they were unsure he would work with their young players. 

You can guarentee he isnt coming here!

Spurs pull the plug on Conte. From their side, about €3million difference in salary offer/demands. Plus Conte didn't seem keen to work with more youth.

From Contes view, doesn't see Spurs as ready to challenge for titles straight away.

Both wide apart - Conte wants money to spend on players, spurs looking to use more youth.

Anyway. Relevance to us? He's available. We'd pay him his wages. We'd make money available. However, we're no where near ready to challenge for titles. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Nuno it is then 🤣

The Conte-Spurs move made no sense to begin with. As I wrote in an earlier post his stock is extremely high. Moving to Spurs (or Everton for that matter) if you're a decorated manager is something you do when you've had a couple of disastrous stints at several top clubs and you're in need of a club to try and restore your tarnished reputation. He has plenty of time to fuck up his career and the likes of Tottenham and, if we're still stupid, Everton will be there waiting for him when he does. Now all the press will be linking him with us, and it'll annoy me because he simply isn't coming here this summer. We have to accept that going into the new season our squad is midtable, our immediate rivals are Villa, West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves and Southampton. We're not getting a big name, and neither should we be looking for one, not yet. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

What is his philosophy?  We’ve had Silva, fat Sam, and Carlo.  Most on here would agree that under all 3 we played defensive counterattacking football that wasn’t pretty.  So is that his philosophy?  Shitty looking 10th place football?  

not on the wind up here I’m being honest.  There is this thought that since he’s Dutch he wants progressive attacking (total football) possession football.  We have never really seen that. 

If brands track record is anything to go by someone like Nuno who is defensive might be the most likely.

I'd like us to play the way we did in the first game of the season against Spurs. That was impressive.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

We know with almost near certainty that none of those managers were earmarked by Brands. Silva was in before Brands feet were under his desk, Allardyce and Ancellotti were Mohsiri selections. 

I would trust the future of this club to be safer in Brands' hands than in either of Kenwright or Mohsiri when it comes to the next manager. 

In respect of what Brands would want, I think we would have to look back to what he did at PSV. He put together a young team that was well balanced and good enough to win the league. In Cocu they played high tempo, direct football. Incidentally he was a manager brought through the ranks. That didnt work at Derby so I imagine Brands will have learnt a lot more about the league to have different ideas about how he wants this Everton side to play.

In the signings of Doucoure, Godfrey and Niels last summer, it would however point to a more aggressive, energetic style of play. I would rather have that overall vision, fitting the players and manager together rather than an owner, DoF and manager all pulling in different directions.

Thank you Bailey, good response.  If what you said is anything to go by then I await brands choice with anticipation.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

rather than an owner, DoF and manager all pulling in different directions.

I think we are already seeing a split between owner chairman and DoF all wanting to have a say, with Moshiri wanting Nuno Kenwright wanting Moyes and Brands not wanting to rush into any decision until all possible candidates have been evaluated. I really fear we will get some sort of compromise based on who Moshiri says we can have, for all his lack of knowledge and total incompetence when it comes to all things football, Moshiri seems incapable of letting go of the reins on the most important decisions revolving around the team. 
I am truly worried that Moshiri will be looking for a designer name that he’s heard of and he feels is a big enough draw for his empire, and not looking at the technical vision and emotional fit because he doesn’t understand that side of the game. 
God help us and all who support us we are still in for some turbulent times 🙏

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I think we are already seeing a split between owner chairman and DoF all wanting to have a say, with Moshiri wanting Nuno Kenwright wanting Moyes and Brands not wanting to rush into any decision until all possible candidates have been evaluated. I really fear we will get some sort of compromise based on who Moshiri says we can have, for all his lack of knowledge and total incompetence when it comes to all things football, Moshiri seems incapable of letting go of the reins on the most important decisions revolving around the team. 
I am truly worried that Moshiri will be looking for a designer name that he’s heard of and he feels is a big enough draw for his empire, and not looking at the technical vision and emotional fit because he doesn’t understand that side of the game. 
God help us and all who support us we are still in for some turbulent times 🙏

Think I read somewhere (I'm sure it was the athletic, but I may be wrong) that Brands has full control over the appointment. 

If Moshiri wants to step in and add his two cents, brands might as well uptick and leave and let him rebuild even more. 

Pirlo and Conte linked today. Not ideal but at least it's better approach than Howe, Lampard, Moyes etc...

Actually think Conte might be ideal. He's know for getting all fired up and not afraid to speak his mind (I.e. give someone a bollocking when needed) so far as I remember 

Its looking like Nuno is the the most realistic candidate and most likely.

I also think he will be a good fit. I think as a manger he is at the same level as us as a club - wanting to break in to the top table of the Premiership. Still young (47), he already has experience and knowledge of the continental clubs, the English Championship and of course the Premier League as a manager.  

I was quite envious of Wolves when I was hearing the Nuno was looking to change up from counter attacking football (which was serving them pretty good), to more possession based football in order to take Wolves up the next level to break in to the top 6. Shows the man is both ambitious and brave (to change a working formula). He is still a developing manager and obviously has talent. 

I sometime feel we are just so unlucky as a football club. No matter what we seem to try, we land flat on our faces - maybe Ancelotti suddenly leaving (and us getting a bit of compensation) and Nuno also fairly suddenly being available (so us not having to pay any compensation) it might just end up being a lucky break we deserve. 

I now think Ancelotti was actually out of this comfort zone managing a mid table team. I read today that one of his instructions to players would be no more than 'just play' with a very much hands off approach to coaching. Devoid of much specific direction or instruction. In many of the performance we witnessed on the pitch I could actually believe this.