Euro 2021

Turkey were 8/1 to win on SkyBet, so threw a fiver on it. I can't see them beating Italy, but as they're dark horses you never know (plus the opening game always seems to throw up surprises, like Senegal in 2002).

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Does this mean it will be back round again in 2024 and the World Cup is still going ahead next year, if so international players aren’t going to get a decent break for a couple of years. 

Yes, I believe so. Qatar is still planned for 2022 with Germany hosting the 2024 championship.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I have a gut feeling that France could win this which will ruin my summer. 

France are the total favourites, but they have a habit of always messing things up by doing something crazy internally (just like World Cup 2010). Plus, they have it in them to just absolutely implode (just like World Cup 2002) so you never know.

Tough group for France too. I know 3rd place can qualify (farce!) but it wouldn't be the biggest surprise to see them lose to Portugal and Germany and get pipped for that 3rd place by other teams in other groups.

12 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Best part about that match was the tiny Volkswagen that delivered the match ball right before kickoff. Inspired stuff.

Missed that but I'll catch the highlights for that bit:P. Why a VW in Italy though? Fiat would've been better and they already make tiny cars so would've needed no special build.

As soon as Italy scored it was game over, they just slipped into second gear and with Turkey unable to park the bus scored with ease. 

It came from a mistake from the goalkeeper, but Insigne's finish was just sublime. Hit first time and just cushioned the ball into the corner, he's some player.

Italy dominated from start to finish, I was expecting a lot more from Turkey they have some decent players in their team, but they decided to defend with eleven men from the start and try to frustrate Italy. I can understand the thinking win a point and try to progress from the group. 
What did people think of Immobile remembering he was on our radar as someone we were looking to buy. 

One of the Top strikers in the tournament, he'll be close to the golden boot in this competition.  Its those who play most games who are usually in the running, I think Italy will go all the way.

I was impressed by Italy. They dominated and kept a really high tempo. Will they be able to do that throughout the tournament or against better teams? 

I think they are a little vulnerable. They have an old and slow backline (plus Jorgino) and they play quite high. Turkey broke through the lines a couple of times but didnt make anything of it and I suspect better teams will. 

In front of goal they made a lot of bad decisions despite winning comfortably in the end. Again I think better teams will snuff out the likes of Insigne constantly cutting inside, especially if they can stop the fullbacks overlapping. 

I can see them playing really well, controlling the game but getting picked off by decent sides who possess that little bit more quality. Whoever does play them will know they have been in a game though and I can see them doing well.

That was really distressing to see. I can't believe the BBC didn't cut to the studio sooner rather than let everyone see him having his chest pumped and his teammates visibly upset.

Thankfully it looks like he's going to be ok, I really thought I'd just watched someone die. There's a picture of him conscious as he's being taken from the pitch and UEFA have said he's been taken to hospital and has been stabilised.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

That was really distressing to see. I can't believe the BBC didn't cut to the studio sooner rather than let everyone see him having his chest pumped and his teammates visibly upset.

Thankfully it looks like he's going to be ok, I really thought I'd just watched someone die. There's a picture of him conscious as he's being taken from the pitch and UEFA have said he's been taken to hospital and has been stabilised.

The footage of his girlfriend crying her eyes out really got to me. The broadcasting was shameful too, I'm watching on PortugueseTV so it's basically UEFA's cameras that decided to film all the angles - they should have cut to the studio or filmed the corner flags. 

So happy to hear he's stable and hoping he can make a recovery to lead a normal life - with immediate retirement I assume.

The worst thing I've ever witnessed watching a football match live. Hands down.

Amazing response from the medical staff, class by the fans staying in and chanting. Simon Kjaer appears to have acted like quite a hero today, consoling Eriksen's girlfriend, rushing to Eriksen's side - the Danish players fantastic for building a wall for privacy. Amazing ending though, that he's conscious and speaking and that his condition improved rapidly. What a miracle today was - could've been a tragedy....

The whole thing is really upsetting. Me and the missus had a tiny argument this evening and she’s in bed and we haven’t spoken since, and all because of the washing on the line. What’s happened tonight in Copenhagen puts the trivial stuff into perspective. I’ll be making sure we both know that in the morning. So glad to see he has pulled through, like a few others I thought I had watched him die live and in front of the whole world. 
Also, Alex Scott in the BBC studio, her words and response were great. Really had me moved. They should have cut to the studio straight away, it was clear and obvious how serious it was. 

Looks an unbalanced side for me. Trippier at left back is an odd one. Sterling and Foden both start when they have both been at their best for City down the left.

I would have thought Coady and Stones would have been a better pairing but Mings is left footed so it isnt a surprise that he starts. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

The Danish FA in a statement this morning asked for messages of support for Christian Eriksen to be sent to him through them so (at Palfy's suggestion) I've sent one on behalf of TT, hope everyone's OK with that.

Just responding to your earlier statement which encouraged sending messages of support to Christian Eriksen via yourselves. This comes from the relatively small but passionate community of Evertonians on toffeetalk.com.

We all watched with horror and disbelief as events unfolded at Parken Stadium yesterday, can't begin to imagine how it felt for your squad and staff and their families and friends in the stands and on the pitch, the fans there as well. I think when the news came out that Christian was on the mend the whole footballing world let out a sigh of relief, club and national allegiances had become completely irrelevant.

Please pass on our sincere best wishes to him and his family, hoping for a successful path back to full health.

MikeO Toffeetalk.com Admin

Very well put Mike

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Just watching the England highlights back have to say the Croatian 'keeper reacted brilliantly when Harry Kane head butted the post, immediate reaction wasn't to be relieved not to concede but concern for Kane. Top marks.

Yeah I thought that, don't know whether he thought that Kane hit his head on the post and could have been unconscious (the Eriksen incident fresh in everyone's minds of course).

Thought that he had a good game footballing wise, but good to see he's a gentleman too.

It was all a bit laboured. 

We started really brightly but the last 70 minutes were largely uneventful against what isnt particulatly a strong Croatian side. 

A win is a win though and hopefully we can step up against Scotland. 

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

BTW, how much did the FA have to pay to ensure all England's games are played at Wembley stadium? It seems more than a little unfair.

Same with the Dutch, Spanish, Italian and German teams. 

It's...it's almost like the biggest and richest FA's have a shocking amount of power in order to see their teams succeed. 

It’s the first time they have spread the tournament across the continent. So lots of major host cities, makes sense for the host cities to host their own national teams. 

Don’t see anyone moaning about Wales playing just outside Cardiff, in Baku. 😂

Portugal win 3-0 to start their campaign right :happy:. A lucky deflection for the first (through Guerrero) before Ronaldo added in two more late on.

France and Germany are up now, two heavyweights meeting up in the group stage. Hopefully the ingredients of an exciting match.

Edit: Early goal for France as Mats Hummels finds the back of his own net from a Paul Pogba cross. 1-0.

From the BBC pundits tips at the start of the tournament...

Ashley Williams: My hot take for the tournament is Turkey. Not a lot of people will be expecting them to do well but they have a good squad and will be right at it.

How's that working out Ashley?:P

16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Ashley Williams: My hot take for the tournament is Turkey. Not a lot of people will be expecting them to do well but they have a good squad and will be right at it.

He is absolutely useless. Everything that's popped up with him saying XYZ, the complete opposite has happened. 

37 minutes ago, MikeO said:

His predictions are as good as his defending then.

Was about to come on here and say that Martinez's Belgium look pretty stellar, and that if this is the football he's getting them to play, I'd have him here in a heartbeat. 

Then I remembered the players at his disposal for Belgium and what he'd have to work with here. Be like downgrading from a mansion in Beverly Hills to a mobile home in Tallahassee.

Nearly launched my remote through the TV when I saw that Ashley Williams had managed to get a gig doing punditry. I've only ever hated one player at Everton and that's him, still makes me infuriated that he was allowed to wear the shirt, nevermind the fucking armband. 

Not surprised to see that his predictions are about as inspiring as his attitude and work ethic.

32 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Was about to come on here and say that Martinez's Belgium look pretty stellar, and that if this is the football he's getting them to play, I'd have him here in a heartbeat. 

Then I remembered the players at his disposal for Belgium and what he'd have to work with here. Be like downgrading from a mansion in Beverly Hills to a mobile home in Tallahassee.

Made real hard work of Denmark and nearly lost the lead two or three times in the last 10 when they should've been controlling the game and defending comfortably. 

But also played some brilliant stuff and came back from behind to win.