IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

4 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Wow.  Damage limitation exercise eh.....

I'm sure the interview process was very tough ..... "Impressed us with his football intelligence".... yeah but in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  

•  

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Wow.  Damage limitation exercise eh.....

I'm sure the interview process was very tough ..... "Impressed us with his football intelligence".... yeah but in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  

•  

I have no doubt Moshiri wanted him before interviewing anyone. 

It’s done now. He is here and I will be behind him. 
Watched his interview and it didn’t seem to be full of the usual bullshit…. Quite refreshing actually.

He really believes in himself, and at this level… you need to. This confidence could rub off on some of our players and get an extra 10% out of them. 

Rafa…. You tasted second best in this city, now try the best!

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

It’s done now. He is here and I will be behind him. 
Watched his interview and it didn’t seem to be full of the usual bullshit…. Quite refreshing actually.

He really believes in himself, and at this level… you need to. This confidence could rub off on some of our players and get an extra 10% out of them. 

Rafa…. You tasted second best in this city, now try the best!

It was almost as if the club and interviewer were giving him an ideal opportunity to go OTT about us and to address the elephant in the room. ...... To his credit he was more arsed about getting in and getting started and never went down the bullshit route. 

He is definitely using the right words for me - proud, ambition, fight, compete, winning mentality, walk the walk- not talk, working hard, passion, commitment, giving everything.

If that is what he is expecting of himself, then we can be pretty sure the players will have nowhere to hide, as one thing is for sure Benitez is not afraid of upsetting players or even club owners if they are not on board and supporting this. I will give him one thing, he has never pussy footed around his employers (Hicks and Gillet or Ashley) if they are not properly behind a 'project' he will let them know, even if it cost him his job in the end!! He wants to compete and win.

Very disappointed, I must confess. Moshiri proved me wrong: I was convinced he would listen to his team. Let's see whether everyone falls in line with his direction.

My expectations are low, and I'm anticipating Sam 2.0. I'm not looking forward to our style of play (old dogs never learn new tricks) but hope it leads to success anyway. I wish him well, but I'm a realist. My prediction is six months before we're going through this cycle once again.

I am not sure why a lot of people think Brands and Benitez will not work well together or at least not better then Ancelotti and Brands - when Ancelotti's two signings where Allan and James both players pushing 30. 

Posted this before. Why wouldn't this manager work well alongside Brands? Sounds like two people signing from a similar hymn sheet. 

https://www.themag.co.uk/2019/11/rafa-benitez-sets-out-blueprint-for-growing-a-club-it-could-should-have-been-newcastle-united/

I think he came across well in the interview, said all the right things. 

Know let's see him walk the walk he talks and instill a winning mentality in the team.

If he doesn't then it'll be him that'll have to walk, alone! 🤔

I wish him the best though. If he can bring the success he had with that other team, then I'm not sure many would be complaining. 

Not thrilled about the appointmen but I honestly think he will do well....though we have a low bar to clear thanks to last year. I don't think it is going to be anywhere near the shit show that was Allardyce (playing style or personality style)

Frankly most of us have had blue tinted glasses on at one time or another in the past 5 years relative to our managerial appointments. We were convinced one or more of those appointments were exactly what we needed at that time (and who can blame us). So for me a muted response this time is a refreshing change. Let's have the results do the talking (one way or the other)

I don't read too much into the interview. The club will have thought about "landmine questions" and said we have to be seen to ask you about these 5-6 things and answers will have been thought about in advance.

Like I've said in a prior post I am interested in our squad activity this year. It's not about splashing the cash as that hasn't worked in the past but I could see Moshri feeling the need to go big and make some investments - not a one player splash but really backing (his) manager (and screw FPP - slap on the wrist for first time offender)

To be honest guys, sorry to say, I feel flat. As I've said before, usually I'm well up for the new season and one of the more overly positive always see the good amongst us on here - with others too of course.

But all I can say is I feel flat and just nothing much at all at the moment.

Now this isn't purely because of Rafa. I think a big stinking pile of smelly reality has hit me after last seasons fall to 10th. We played shit most the season with one of the most decorated managers in the game. In recent weeks I've looked back over the last 5 years and realised how chaotic it's been. And it seems like we'll be paying for that for a few years to come as it doesn't feel like we can manoeuvre freely with transfers etc.

On Rafa. Well, maybe the reality of the options open to us where underwhelming. I'm not happy with this one. But, again, it's a statement of where we are as a club and how we are 'run'. That's the reality and we have to accept it.

If I'm honest, he came across well in his interviews. He made me feel less dubious. I also got a hint that this has been known for a lot longer than we imagine. There's a couple of clips in there that make me think this, one particular where he's talking about transfers and almost kind of realises what he's about to say and kind of holds back.

He needs to hit the floor running. Ancelotti did this and was afforded many shit performances afterwards. I think Rafa really can't afford any fuck ups in his early days and won't have the same leeway Ancelotti was given. However, like it or not, most of us footy fans are fickle and he can win us over.

Kind of glad I expect fuck all. Anything above mid table will be great now 👍🤣