IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

They wouldn’t have promised what they didn’t have, FFP seems to have put the brakes on spending this season which isn’t a bad thing it’s about time that we took stock of our position with a manager who will be honest with his appraisal of were this current team can go and what’s required in the future. They would have told him what you don’t want you can use to improve, hence James and Delph being told they have no future in his team he can see a fair bit of money there that he believes he can use more wisely to improve the team, I can see why this isn’t going down to well with many believers thinking James is one of our if not best players, kudos to Benitez the easiest thing for him to do to engross himself with Evertonian’s would be to blow smoke up James arse, but thank goodness he’s not like that we’ve had our fair share of weak management.  

23 hours ago, Shukes said:

Which one of Richarlison and DCL would you drop?

Performance was miles better than the result today. A gift for the first, an absolute giveaway for the second. 
Quality third. 
Fourth… we’ll big tall Mina, enough said I think.

We attacked more today than we did the whole of last season didn’t we? ( in any single match I mean) Is that fair? 

People keep saying that Benetez is a really defensive coach, yet so far we haven’t saw that in any of the friendlies. Is this because he hasn’t really taken control yet…. But when he does it’s going to change?

Sorry Bailey, I’ve quoted you due to the first couple of points… then gone off on a tangent haha. Not targeted at you, but asking questions of the handful of real Rafa haters. 
Again not saying they are wrong, just that I aren’t noticing this whole Rafa thing yet. All I can see is slight steps forward… after only a few weeks, and a few friendlys.

I doubt we will see Richarlison for a good 3 weeks so it will be him! Hopefully Dom's injury clears up but he might not even start without the preseason. I doubt he will play 90 even if he does.

I do think we have set up defensively. We sat very deep in that first half (and in the first pre-season game). Second half has been better in both games though. We are also relying a lot on direct balls forward which is more consistent with a team sitting deeper, sacrificing possession and playing defensively before hitting on the break.

I would say that the counter attacking threat has been the biggest difference so far. We are lots livelier when we break forward. It is much more consistent too. How that pans out against teams that sit back against us, I don't know because all 3 sides that we have played have had a go. I don't see too many other differences at this stage though. 

I think that Rafa was made fully aware of the limited resources he would have, and I reckon Rafa said that was fine and he already had targets sorted. 

I also think that FFP is only part of the story for bigger all money these year. The other part will be that the club is trying to sort the finances out of course, but also I reckon that in private they think relegation could be a possibility this season if it all goes pear shaped with Rafa and general poor management at the club.

19 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

I would hope that the thinking Evertonians give our new manager a chance. He's inherited a pretty shit scene to work with. Let's see what happens when the season has kicked off and the transfer window is closed.

This particular thinking Evertonian has written off this season. Financially, we're waiting for contracts on expensive and half-hearted players to expire next summer. Managerially, we're hoping time will suddenly jump back 15 years and Benitez will possibly become a decent manager. In ten months' time, I expect the words "new broom" to be heard often. I hope we finish in the top half, but my gut tells me that's asking for too much. I hope we play in such a way that I positively look forward to each match, but I suspect "survive" might be more appropriate than "enjoy". The odds are against us this season, for sure. Then again, light shines all the brighter in darkness.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

They would have told him what you don’t want you can use to improve, hence James and Delph being told they have no future in his team he can see a fair bit of money there

Whatever you're taking, I'd like some.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

he believes he can use more wisely to improve the team

This is the perfect season to take a risk on two or three members of the U-23 squad.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Then you must have forgotten our opening match of last season, which was one of the best games we've played in years.

We played well for the first six to be fair. Didn't forget them mate, just realised that it was a purple patch and not representative of our form for the season.

We we’re terrible for 90% of last season for me. 

Just can't see where the goals are coming from. DCL will get some but not on a regular basis.

Rich will chip in but that isn't getting us into the top six and struggle for top ten.

There is a few weeks left before the window closes, so my fears may be misplaced.

We live in hope.

15 hours ago, Harv said:

Just can't see where the goals are coming from. DCL will get some but not on a regular basis.

Rich will chip in but that isn't getting us into the top six and struggle for top ten.

There is a few weeks left before the window closes, so my fears may be misplaced.

We live in hope.

I was thinking this last night.

I don't see loads of goals in this side at the moment. Dom and Richie are hit and miss and will need one or both of them to get a few. Gray and Townsend have never really scored many and who knows what will happen with Iwobi.

Doucoure and Allan playing as a two-man midfield aren't like to add too many goals either.

16 hours ago, Harv said:

We live in hope.

Lewis Dobbin? This is the perfect opportunity to give U-23s a chance.

I am also writing this season off in terms of 'progression'. I think we twisted the past few seasons and gambled a little on spending more to get European football and we lost. Think the transfer pot is pretty much bare based on the Premier league metrics we have to try and bend to. I think Morishi and Usmanov will spend again when they are allowed to, but this season might just be an enforced break to balance the books. I am pretty sure Benitez will be aware of this seasons financial restraints when he was brought in and will be happily working under the constraints he has been given.

I am sure his remit will be to consolidate this season with the personal we have (or what he can do with some balanced selling and buying), and be in a position to push again next season when the books look a lot better and some big earner will be gone. I think we have committed owners, so I am sure they will give Benitez all the backing there are ALLOWED. 

As some have mentioned, this season might be a good one to bloody some of our U23's, Benitez is a fan of using youngsters. So if this is a bit of a 'free' season when expectations may not be so high as they have been, its probably the best time to give some of them a crack.  

I believe Rafa has quite a good track record of getting youth in to the team and giving them a chance, much more so than Carlo. We shall see, he might not have the same size squad as Ancelotti, so this season may be an opportunity to try some of the youngsters - if they are good enough. 

8 minutes ago, StevO said:

He knew what he was getting into. 

agreed, in addition he's wanted this for a while, he lives in the area, able to work close to his family instead of the apartment in newcastle/china and seeing the family only on weekends.  as much as i don't like the guy, i do wonder if the work/life balance will make him work even harder to get this to work right since he won't ever get another situation (unless he wants to manage tranmere or marine fc, unlikely).

I can't really see Moshiri, Brands and Denise misleading him as to the state of finance for transfers. I'm holding on to the thought that he really will make this work though at the moment not looking an easy task. Coupled with the fact that if we carve out some success he could be here leading us into Bramley-Moore. Given his attachment to the city it would be huge for him.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

I can't really see Moshiri, Brands and Denise misleading him as to the state of finance for transfers. I'm holding on to the thought that he really will make this work though at the moment not looking an easy task. Coupled with the fact that if we carve out some success he could be here leading us into Bramley-Moore. Given his attachment to the city it would be huge for him.

i think he knew he would have to sell in order to buy this season. However, it's not so easy to sell and think he might be stuck with much of the current incumbents this season. This may be tougher than he thought and obviously the Gylfi situation is an additional curve ball, weakening the squad and his attacking contribution was quite useful last season. 

I think the job is already tougher than it was the day he signed through no fault of his own.

I do think he will give the job everything he has, and hopefully this rubs off on the players.