IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

i think he knew he would have to sell in order to buy this season. However, it's not so easy to sell and think he might be stuck with much of the current incumbents this season. This may be tougher than he thought and obviously the Gylfi situation is an additional curve ball, weakening the squad and his attacking contribution was quite useful last season. 

I think the job is already tougher than it was the day he signed through no fault of his own.

I do think he will give the job everything he has, and hopefully this rubs off on the players. 

Try telling that to a lot of supporters here 🤣

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-speaks-out-over-21303633

There is something going on here.

James says he doesn't think he is going to be picked for the weekend, training on his own, but not mention of Covid.

Benitez says he is isolating.

Either James has been misquoted, is stirring the pot, or Benitez is telling porkies.

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-speaks-out-over-21303633

James says he doesn't think he is going to be picked for the weekend, training on his own, but not mention of Covid.

Either James has been misquoted, is stirring the pot, or Benitez is telling porkies.

🤔 I maybe gullible but Benitez wouldn’t be that stupid would he he would easily be caught out if lying 🤥 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Are these players not just isolating because we wouldn’t be able to sell them if they did catch COVID and couldn’t travel etc if they did? I’m guessing the 5 are James, Kean, Gomes, Kenny and another - the 5 who are likely to leave permanently or have been transfer listed.

17 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Are these players not just isolating because we wouldn’t be able to sell them if they did catch COVID and couldn’t travel etc if they did? I’m guessing the 5 are James, Kean, Gomes, Kenny and another - the 5 who are likely to leave permanently or have been transfer listed.

Okay, that's an interesting take.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

🤔 I maybe gullible but Benitez wouldn’t be that stupid would he he would easily be caught out if lying 🤥 

I suspect it is one of the first two. I don't get the impression that Benitez is like that if I am honest.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Possibly, it is an interesting idea. I am not sure it would really fit with what has been said though. Also if Richarlison can fly in, train and play within a week then I don't see why they couldn't do the same.

If you get pinged because you have been around someone who has tested positive, then you isolate. That’s the rules guys.

It makes no difference if you’ve been to a concert with 50k or a corner shop with two people in. If you got pinged by going into the shop because someone had it… then you isolate unfortunately. 
That’s how I read Rafas translation… some have to isolate with Covid around.

Or it could be he is being made to train with the U23’s, with no locker, and his shirt has been taken by Simms, and Big Dunc has held his dog hostage and is, as we speak, hanging a bone in front of it…. Just out of reach!!!!!

From tomorrow’s match day program

BENITEZ: 'UNITY, PASSION AND COMMITMENT KEYS TO EVERTON PROGRESS'

By Rafael Benitez

Expand
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Good afternoon, 

I have been looking forward to today since I had the privilege of being appointed Everton manager six weeks ago. 

I was counting down the days in terms of our preparations, which, in testing circumstances, were designed to give us the best chance of starting the Premier League season in a positive way. 

And I couldn’t wait for the experience of a full Goodison Park, with Evertonians reuniting to get behind their team. 

When I went to Goodison as manager of different clubs, the feeling was everything you love in a football ground.

You supported our team with an intensity you don’t find in many stadiums and created a proper football atmosphere. 

The constant noise from the stands, fighting for every decision and every ball, transfers to the pitch and gives players energy they didn’t know was possible. 

This unity is a big asset for Everton and a factor we want to use to our advantage. It can make the difference in a league where so many games are decided on tight margins. 

We have been without fans at a full Goodison for more than one year and the way form was affected in that period shows the huge role you play for our team. 

We know where we want to take the Club and how we will reach this position – but the process will take time and we will need your support during this period, especially during the games.

It was a challenging summer, with three major international tournaments, meaning some key players joined the squad for pre-season very late.  

RAFAEL BENITEZ
This unity is a big asset for Everton and a factor we want to use to our advantage. It can make the difference in a league where so many games are decided on tight margins.

There has been limited opportunity to deliver our ideas to the full group and we had to manage most of our preparations without Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison, who would both be vital players for any team. 

Dominic and Richy will help to change the dynamic of our football but we need some patience while they follow their programmes to achieve maximum fitness. 

I understand football is a big part of your lives and it is exactly the same for me.

I know you expect commitment, passion and desire on the pitch, and they are qualities we will try to give to you. As I said in some of my previous interviews, I will fight every day trying to improve the team, the players and the Club and I expect the players to do the same in every game.

We need to build a winning mentality and strong team spirit. These things take more time and, as we implement our ideas and see step-by-step improvement, they will occur naturally. 

Everton has a special history and tradition and the owner, Board, fanbase, players and staff share a huge desire for success. 

But from today, the first match of a new season, the actions are more important than the talking.  

I prefer to show our hunger and ambition on the pitch. 

We welcome Ralph Hasenhuttl and the staff and players of Southampton. 

Ralph’s team plays with intensity and speed, and we must be strong mentally and physically to compete and have control of the match. 

Like every club, Southampton are changing some players in the transfer window, but we expect the identity and spirit to stay the same. 

At the moment, we have signed three players who will help us play the football we want. The three of them know the Premier League so the adaptation to our team and the league will be quicker.

Andros Townsend and Demarai Gray have strong work ethics.

But the biggest reason we brought them to the Club is what they can provide in attack. 

We identified we needed to add competition and quality in the wide areas, so we can provide our strikers with the service to hurt opponents. 

Andros and Demarai are good players technically and they can change a game with their skills.

Asmir Begovic will provide a high level of competition for Jordan Pickford and valuable experience. 

The competition between players makes them better and that is what we are looking for.

As you know, Seamus Coleman also brings leadership, along with his knowledge on the pitch, and it was a priority to finalise his new contract before the start of the season. 

He has the complete respect of everybody at Everton and is one of the best professionals I have seen. 

Also, I would like to congratulate Richarlison on his Olympic gold medal with Brazil. 

Any success in football requires enormous sacrifice and he should enjoy the moment. 

The challenge for us now is to ensure Richy starts his season in a winning team. 

Enjoy the game, 

Rafa Benitez 

Well I enjoyed watching that second half more than I’ve enjoyed watching Everton for a while. 

I think this idea of defensive Rafa has been blown out of the water a bit. We seem to have an idea of how we are going to attack and hurt teams, which are set up to our strengths. I really hope this is the trend for the season.

There will be bumps along the way, it’s inevitable but I just hope we all stick together through the bumps and enjoy the highs.

First test passed.

0-1 down in our first home game at half time and looking like the same old Everton. 
Came out the second half looking like a complete different team. 

Players deserve credit for changing it and upping the tempo, but the manager should take great credit for kicking them into gear, and recognising the slight changes needed to make it click.

It weren’t just the three goals, but all the other chances created as well. Not bad for a defensively minded coach!

Base on what I have seen so far, (and been reading) I think we will get blood, sweat and tears from Rafa as a manager. I think we all can see he is committed to this job. If we see it, so do the players - ten fold. 

As a player yesterday, i am guessing you would have come off the pitch with your head down a bit after the first half. Manager does a few tweaks to how he wants you to play, and you then go out and absolutely smash the second half. 

As players that must give you so much confidence in going out and implementing his tactics and just listening to him. 

Very early days, but I think he could actually be the manager we have really needed this past 4-5 season. Not experimenting with some up and coming manager or a 'galactico' team man manager. 

Finger crossed for this season of non expectation. A lack of fanfare might be just what we need to just kuckle down and get a job done. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4455852/can-evertons-rafa-benitez-win-over-the-fans-despite-his-liverpool-past

I didn’t know he was so generous with his money or that he’d donated to Rhys mum.  Nice to see that, it definitely fits the fabric of our club.  He’s got some more proving to do on the pitch but this was nice to read.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4455852/can-evertons-rafa-benitez-win-over-the-fans-despite-his-liverpool-past

I didn’t know he was so generous with his money or that he’d donated to Rhys mum.  Nice to see that, it definitely fits the fabric of our club.  He’s got some more proving to do on the pitch but this was nice to read.

He’s definitely a good man, but still a twat :lol:.