IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

Frankly most of us have had blue tinted glasses on at one time or another in the past 5 years relative to our managerial appointments. We were convinced one or more of those appointments were exactly what we needed at that time (and who can blame us). So for me a muted response this time is a refreshing change. Let's have the results do the talking (one way or the other)

agree total with this, we have had some over stated fanfares with some of the previous appointment and they have all turned to shit. Lets hope this perhaps sensible but uninspiring appointment has the opposite outcome. 

Like it or not Benitez succeeding mean Everton succeeding, so I have flipped to not wanting him here to now being 100% behind him. Life is to short to worry about something that hasn't yet happened (Benitez failing) and it is something that is well beyond my control. So I will now be dwelling on the positives until there is actually something to be angry about in the performances on the pitch and the actual results. I will worry about exciting attractive and expansive football once we start getting regular good results. 

A new chapter started today and not one of us knows how it is actually going to turn out - so I may as well be on the optimistic side of the fence!!.

20 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I can’t put into words just how gutted and saddened I feel today, and I’m not even going to try. I can’t support him as our manager and I won’t bullshit it by pretending to. 

Give it time, feelings are pretty raw at the moment for allot of people.

10 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Give it time, feelings are pretty raw at the moment for allot of people.

There has been a few weeks to get used to it and my feelings on it have only strengthened. I will not be supporting him in any way and will instead put my energy and passion into other things while he’s here. 

Mark I feel for you and understand how much you detest his appointment but this is Everton, the club we all love. Take a step back till he's had a chance with the squad and new players. In the long term you can say you were right but what if he finally gives us what we have wanted for decades. Pride and a place among the elite?

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. Quote from Scotty from across the Park.

In these times maybe it is not more serious than that.

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Mark I feel for you and understand how much you detest his appointment but this is Everton, the club we all love. Take a step back till he's had a chance with the squad and new players. In the long term you can say you were right but what if he finally gives us what we have wanted for decades. Pride and a place among the elite?

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. Quote from Scotty from across the Park.

In these times maybe it is not more serious than that.

I don’t care about being right (especially when I think something isn’t going to go well like this). We do all love this club, you’re right, and I will continue to do so but I’m not going to invest my emotions in it to the degree I normally would. To be honest, I don’t see why I should either when I’m getting told left, right and centre that my feelings on this are wrong and that I should back him now he’s here and it’s implied that by not doing so I’m somehow a lesser fan. Not by you btw, you’re being respectful etc.

I’ve said it’s made me feel disconnected but I think alienated might be the better word.

I am really struggling with this. There isn't a lot I like about his appointment because I don't like him and I don't like the way his teams play. 

I don't expect him to be terrible in terms of results, I am sure they will be solid enough but unless he changes his stripes, it isn't going to be pretty and it will cause a lot of rifts with the fans. 

I do not understand the boards thinking and that is what gets me the most. I doubt there would be a lot of difference between Nuno and Benitez when it comes to playing style or results, but there will be a huge difference in their support from the fans. 

To be honest, Moyes and Royle are the only managers I’ve ‘loved’ in my lifetime. Ancelotti’s a weird one as it was such a great appointment ultimately, with lockdown etc, it’s been a massive anti-climax. Some appointments have excited me like Koeman, Martinez, Silva, even going back to Smith but they’re soon forgotten. Just give me a team to be proud of - football’s such a fickle game anyway - success = happiness!

57 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’ve said it’s made me feel disconnected but I think alienated might be the better word.

I felt disconnected to the club with all of this, but it’s the fan reaction that’s making me feel alienated. 
I imagine the first home game back I’ll be sat very quietly because I don’t want to end up in an argument about what a shit supporter I am because I don’t like the new manager. 

I completely understand the divide with the appointment of Rafa, but some have to find a way to get behind him for the good of the team. 

Clean slate, blank canvas or whatever you want to call it, Goodison has to be in full support come August 14th or the players and team don't have a chance, nor the manager.

Yes, he's ex shite but he's still a top class manager. Other managers have come and gone and most fans were happy with every appointment ( Bar Sam ).

Still no trophy with all of them for 26 years!!

Peter Beardsley came over from the dark side!! Did fans not cheer any of his 25 goals in a blue shirt! Did Goodison erupt when he scored in the Mo Johnson derby? Or sit in silence because he was ex shite?

Football has come along way since then, but one thing i have learnt in football personally is not to hold on to grudges. If there is a good player or manager who is given an opportunity ( regardless of past alliances ) we have to give them a fair crack of the whip.

Rafa isn't a stupid bloke- he's totally aware of the split with fans and the banners will hit home. 

He has a massive point to prove! In sport they do say to be wary of the person with a point to prove!

This is a forum to which everyone has a right to voice their own opinions- rightly or wrongly it's their opinion. I know i will never change fans views on Rafa.

I just hope the fans get behind the team against Saints to show them some support, rather than concentrate on the manager!!!

9 hours ago, StevO said:

I felt disconnected to the club with all of this, but it’s the fan reaction that’s making me feel alienated. 
I imagine the first home game back I’ll be sat very quietly because I don’t want to end up in an argument about what a shit supporter I am because I don’t like the new manager. 

"Bad dick head you lad"...... Is my insult bingo phrase .....

Seen a lad from Hoylake say that on twitter......  I asked him whether he talks to his parents like that in their 5 bed detached house or is that his "I'm a Scouser" ..... Lad. 

I really do understand where the anti Rafa fans are coming from because he isn’t just any old ex Liverpool manager he is probably the most hated one in history, I personally absolutely despised him when he was there because he was a total gobshite, but like it or not he is our gobshite now

I just hope that when fans are allowed back in to Goodison that there are no banners/protests against him, it seems totally counter productive to me and I can’t get my head around waiting over 12 months to go to a game then pitching up to boo. It’s been that long since we had a packed Goodison that when we are allowed back the atmosphere should be bouncing

If fans are really that upset then I hope they just stay away

1 hour ago, milesey05 said:

I completely understand the divide with the appointment of Rafa, but some have to find a way to get behind him for the good of the team. 

You (and others) need to stop telling fans what they need to do. I am not getting behind him, end of story. I'll back the team as I always do but I won't be backing him.

15 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I really do understand where the anti Rafa fans are coming from because he isn’t just any old ex Liverpool manager he is probably the most hated one in history, I personally absolutely despised him when he was there because he was a total gobshite, but like it or not he is our gobshite now

I just hope that when fans are allowed back in to Goodison that there are no banners/protests against him, it seems totally counter productive to me and I can’t get my head around waiting over 12 months to go to a game then pitching up to boo. It’s been that long since we had a packed Goodison that when we are allowed back the atmosphere should be bouncing

If fans are really that upset then I hope they just stay away

He absolutely is going to get booed, Dunc. I won't be doing it and it's not something I'm going to enjoy hearing either.

35 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You (and others) need to stop telling fans what they need to do. I am not getting behind him, end of story. I'll back the team as I always do but I won't be backing him.

He absolutely is going to get booed, Dunc. I won't be doing it and it's not something I'm going to enjoy hearing either.

I suspect you are right , I’ve even heard of blues wanting us to lose so he gets booted out quickly ☹️

Suarez is my most hated Liverpool player. ..... Would I love a team of him??? Fookin right!  Give me a load of him than a Gylfi/Walcott.

Some fans like to prove how much they love the club by being resistant to anything Red.  Got some Everton fan shouting at Jim White on talksport right now. ..... Ridiculous. 

Spare a thought for Liverpool fabs who have benitez tattoos. ....

42 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

Lets not confuse Everton fans with fans wanting Everton to lose. The latter are not Everton fans.

I understand your point, but I completely disagree. These are reactions of people hurt by this decision and no one has the right to say they aren’t Evertonians. You might not like their actions and their opinions but they are entitled to them as much as any of us. 

It’s things like this that are not helping the cause. Someone supporting the club in a different way to someone else is absolutely no reason to make them not an Evertonian.