IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

The more I think about this appointment (now I have calmed down), the more it makes sense. What we have had before are a series of managers all with their own style of play needing different players.

With Benitez we have some consistency in that like Carlo he is a defensive minded coach, their teams play a similar style of football requiring similar types of players, so no need for a massive squad over hall.

Both managers have had success, and managed large clubs, and big name players. Yes Carlo has had way more success, but both are similar in the way their teams operate.

Benitez is a workaholic and wont be tempted away if a bigger club come calling. He will install discipline and demand the best out of the players. Tactically he is no mug, and knows how to get results.

The only concern I have is over transfers, but I think that will of been sorted out before he signed. 

I am more optimistic now that I was when Carlo left, and if I am honest more optimistic now than I was under the last few months under Carlo. 

That and the football might not be entertaining enough especially if results don’t come quickly. Towards the end of last season the only reason the fans didn’t turn was because he was ‘Ancelotti’. Rafa I worry won’t have that luxury.

22 minutes ago, barryj said:

That and the football might not be entertaining enough especially if results don’t come quickly. Towards the end of last season the only reason the fans didn’t turn was because he was ‘Ancelotti’. Rafa I worry won’t have that luxury.

That's the risk, and a motivating factor to succeed. 

Anyone not thought that Rafa probably knows Everton's problems more than most?

For one - he spent a good chunk of time watching us shit the bed against his side.... He will be well aware as to what our weaknesses have been.... Not interns of players but culturally.

He's a footy bore, in the sense that he watches endless football matches.  By all accounts he interviewed superbly - this will be due to him knowing far more about us than other managers.

He will be desperate to succeed here, his work life balance will be optimum in the sense he can go home after training, less energy spent commuting etc. 

Im really optimistic

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Anyone not thought that Rafa probably knows Everton's problems more than most?

For one - he spent a good chunk of time watching us shit the bed against his side.... He will be well aware as to what our weaknesses have been.... Not interns of players but culturally.

He's a footy bore, in the sense that he watches endless football matches.  By all accounts he interviewed superbly - this will be due to him knowing far more about us than other managers.

He will be desperate to succeed here, his work life balance will be optimum in the sense he can go home after training, less energy spent commuting etc. 

Im really optimistic

me too - now got my head around him being here. There has be to much crap getting people down this past 12-18months, so not going to let it get me down that the fact that my own personal choice didn't get the job. It is what it is now. 

For me personally, life's to short to be mopping around and being pissed off about something that MIGHT turn out to be shit. New broom sweeps clean and all that - it could be just as likely it turn out great, so I may as well be optimistic about the coming change. So I have just been dwelling on the positives since the appointment. 

Plenty of time to be pissed off if it actually turns to shit.

We have to afford him the same respect and opportunities as we have the managers who came before him, and if he doesn’t succeed he will go the same way as others that seems to be a guarantee with this board. I wanted him after Koeman was sacked he wasn’t my first choice this time round I put him at number 2 of 5 choices. I’ve got a good feeling about this appointment, not because the football will be attacking but we are use to that anyway, more because like Moyes he will set boundaries and won’t suffer fools, he should get us going in the right direction on and off the pitch. And if not adios amigo 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Can anyone just summarise it? Because I won't be watching or reading any of his interviews

For one, he backtracked on what he said he meant by “small club.” Instead of saying it was that we had dwindling squad numbers as he claimed before (which we all knew was horseshit anyway), he turned it into “it’s all about context. I’m Everton manager now and I will fight for the club. I’m happy to see the club getting bigger and bigger.”

Color me unconvinced of anything he says.

Can anyone just summarise it? Because I won't be watching or reading any of his interviews

other than answering the now boring questions about ex Liverpool manager being at Everton blah blah. He basically says - most important this is developing a winning mentality at the club, no matter what teams we play. I will take giving everything and 'winning' more are the most important thing at the moment, so will happily buy into that. 

7 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I liked what he said about talking with senior players to understand what they thought was missing and to instilling a winning mentality. I reckon he was told that basically Carlo had given up after Christmas, so they had no motivation.

That was the highlight for me as well. As everyone is suggesting these pressers are largely useless because all experienced managers know the playbook but I found that part very interesting. A lot of reading between the lines but it's clear Carlo's style may not have fit the players we have. We felt that as fans at times but interesting to 'hear' it from Rafa. 

Also on the James/Seamus comments, I don't think there is anything in that at all. He said he didnt want to talk about individual players and he didn't really talk about Seamus other than to say his role as captain is important. Nothing about his impact on the pitch. 

Generally speaking I left with a good feeling. My concern has been and will continue to be the squad. It's far more shambolic than the manager. We need to get rid of 5-6 and bring in 2-3. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

BBC seems to of covered it, see below. My main takes are:

He is going to throw himself into the job. He is a fighter who fights for the club he is at.

He has not had time to assess the squad, does not want to comment on individuals.

He wants to win first, pretty football is secondary, clearly European football in the minimum expectation.

Happy to work with Brands.

1. 13:48

Post update

3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on Seamus Coleman: "I have been talking with him many times. He is an inspiration. He can be a key player. Can he be the captain? Yes, why not. We will see."

2. Post update

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I think it is important now to talk about the team and ideas rather than individuals. Something is very simple but to play well. We have to create a team that is competitive, that fights for the shirt. It doesn't matter the name of the opponent. We have to find the way to win games, to play good football if it is possible. The fans want to see a side play well, but winning."

Article Reactions
    •  
  3. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on Duncan Ferguson: "He is a legend and he will be an important part of my staff. He knows the players, the club and fans and can be an inspiration."

4. Post update

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I was convinced when I decide to say yes it was a great opportunity. I want to win and to do well. We start with the first game and see what happens. It is to be ambitious and to do my best. I am sure we will do it."

5. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I will tell you that I have conversations with senior players and they are ambitious. They realised something was missing and this is what we must find. It is a winning mentality from the first day to the last. They want to do well and to improve. It is a very good thing for me to have these platers to keep pushing and be an example."

6. Post update

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on the response to his appointment: "To be fair the Evertonians around me are quite happy and very supportive and even the Liverpudlian's have accepted it's a chance for me to come back to the Premier League and compete for something. A lot of people are encouraging me to do well I'm happy with that."

•  
  7. Post update

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez on the England players, including Pickford: "I was asking them and how they feel and supporting them to the last minute. I think that they did great and it was a great achievement for England. It will be good for them now and good for them in the future."

8. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I will tell you something not many people know, we went to supermarkets and restaurants and the fans were really good. The majority they were fine. You can see in Liverpool, which is my city. We have connections in the red side and blue side. The fans appreciate that we will be here working hard for the team and the club. Nobody will be taking about the past. I am thinking about the future."

9. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on criticism from fans: "It is football and it is quite emotional. The only thing I can say is that I will fight for my team as I have at every place I have worked. It is a challenge and I want to do well and compete. I will be the first one there pushing and pushing."

•  
  10. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez on signing players: "The reality is that when you go to any club the manager has to work with a director of football and the board and you have financial restrictions. I am happy with the lads - they are training well. If we can add players that are good for us, that is the objective. We must improve the players we have. And we must manage the financial restrictions while still being ambitious."

•  
  11. Post update

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez on previous comments about the club while Liverpool boss: "It depends on the context. It was a long time ago and I was fighting for my club. That is what I am doing now. I will fight for Everton every single game and compete against anyone. I am pleased this club is getting bigger and bigger and we can challenge and compete."

12. Post update

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez: "I know about the club, the tradition, the history, the mission of the owners and the fans behind the team. Anyone who knows the history will see it is easy. I am at home and I want to compete to challenge for whatever you can challenge. It is a great opportunity and a challenge for me."

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So we’re going to waste time assessing players that everyone knows aren’t good enough… hopefully that’s just politician bullshit and he already knows who he wants out the door. 

With Coleman I get the impression he was acknowledging that he is a great captain, and has been a great player, not saying he was the answer to our right back question.

I think part of the presentation he did to get the job would have included who needs replacing, he has already highlighted that things are missing from the team.

I expect their will be 3 or 4 transfers (if not a few more) in over the next couple of weeks.

20 minutes ago, London Blue said:

With Coleman I get the impression he was acknowledging that he is a great captain, and has been a great player, not saying he was the answer to our right back question.

I think part of the presentation he did to get the job would have included who needs replacing, he has already highlighted that things are missing from the team.

I expect their will be 3 or 4 transfers (if not a few more) in over the next couple of weeks.

Coleman is completely irrelevant tbh. He’s not going anywhere, no one would have him and he’s good to have around the place as a back-up. My concern is that the true wastes of space we have are going to still be here and, to be honest, having to still watch some of this squad coupled with him as our manager will be hell for me. I desperately need us to have a good transfer window.

2 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I watched about 10 minutes of the press conference, it's not a dig at Rafa directly but it was filled with politician speak; we're going to give 110%, this is a massive club, the players will work hard etc.

Will judge him on the results we get, after being stung by Ancelotti (and to a lesser extent Koeman) I can't be arsed getting too attached to our management.

Spot on, I feel the same and add Martinez to those I was fooled by.

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

BBC seems to of covered it, see below. My main takes are:

He is going to throw himself into the job. He is a fighter who fights for the club he is at.

He has not had time to assess the squad, does not want to comment on individuals.

He wants to win first, pretty football is secondary, clearly European football in the minimum expectation.

Happy to work with Brands.

1. 13:48

Post update

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on Seamus Coleman: "I have been talking with him many times. He is an inspiration. He can be a key player. Can he be the captain? Yes, why not. We will see."

2. Post update

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I think it is important now to talk about the team and ideas rather than individuals. Something is very simple but to play well. We have to create a team that is competitive, that fights for the shirt. It doesn't matter the name of the opponent. We have to find the way to win games, to play good football if it is possible. The fans want to see a side play well, but winning."

Article Reactions
    •  
  3. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on Duncan Ferguson: "He is a legend and he will be an important part of my staff. He knows the players, the club and fans and can be an inspiration."

4. Post update

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I was convinced when I decide to say yes it was a great opportunity. I want to win and to do well. We start with the first game and see what happens. It is to be ambitious and to do my best. I am sure we will do it."

5. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I will tell you that I have conversations with senior players and they are ambitious. They realised something was missing and this is what we must find. It is a winning mentality from the first day to the last. They want to do well and to improve. It is a very good thing for me to have these platers to keep pushing and be an example."

6. Post update

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on the response to his appointment: "To be fair the Evertonians around me are quite happy and very supportive and even the Liverpudlian's have accepted it's a chance for me to come back to the Premier League and compete for something. A lot of people are encouraging me to do well I'm happy with that."

•  
  7. Post update

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez on the England players, including Pickford: "I was asking them and how they feel and supporting them to the last minute. I think that they did great and it was a great achievement for England. It will be good for them now and good for them in the future."

8. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez: "I will tell you something not many people know, we went to supermarkets and restaurants and the fans were really good. The majority they were fine. You can see in Liverpool, which is my city. We have connections in the red side and blue side. The fans appreciate that we will be here working hard for the team and the club. Nobody will be taking about the past. I am thinking about the future."

9. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton boss Rafa Benitez on criticism from fans: "It is football and it is quite emotional. The only thing I can say is that I will fight for my team as I have at every place I have worked. It is a challenge and I want to do well and compete. I will be the first one there pushing and pushing."

•  
  10. 3ffa07e7-6fd4-4d11-98ff-844af0294305.jpg

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez on signing players: "The reality is that when you go to any club the manager has to work with a director of football and the board and you have financial restrictions. I am happy with the lads - they are training well. If we can add players that are good for us, that is the objective. We must improve the players we have. And we must manage the financial restrictions while still being ambitious."

•  
  11. Post update

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez on previous comments about the club while Liverpool boss: "It depends on the context. It was a long time ago and I was fighting for my club. That is what I am doing now. I will fight for Everton every single game and compete against anyone. I am pleased this club is getting bigger and bigger and we can challenge and compete."

12. Post update

Everton

Everton manager Rafa Benitez: "I know about the club, the tradition, the history, the mission of the owners and the fans behind the team. Anyone who knows the history will see it is easy. I am at home and I want to compete to challenge for whatever you can challenge. It is a great opportunity and a challenge for me."

Can you expand a bit on that? 

Coleman is completely irrelevant tbh. He’s not going anywhere, no one would have him and he’s good to have around the place as a back-up. My concern is that the true wastes of space we have are going to still be here and, to be honest, having to still watch some of this squad coupled with him as our manager will be hell for me. I desperately need us to have a good transfer window.

Players like Delph whom I imagine is the main culprit will be tough to shift, (much like a shit stain) due to his high wages and him being crap.

Others like Bernard, will go. 

Siggy may go, but again is on high wages.

You are right though, another key transfer window.