Jump to content

Rafael Benitez


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Mark you're not getting it 😂 Sure our team is the same, but arguably every team around us improved.

Every team around us spent more money, that's for sure. It remains to be seen whether they improved. After all, we spent more than most in some recent seasons but didn't improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Every team around us spent more money, that's for sure. It remains to be seen whether they improved. After all, we spent more than most in some recent seasons but didn't improve.

Fair. I mean, we know that even though Arsenal spent more than any other side, they're still shit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/08/2021 at 15:10, Palfy said:

🤔 I maybe gullible but Benitez wouldn’t be that stupid would he he would easily be caught out if lying 🤥 

The same Benitiz who successfully turned Liverpool fans against Alonso. (Kopites only called him world class after he left and FIFA made him better at passing in a video game, most bought into the waiter and wanted Barry instead). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

The same Benitiz who successfully turned Liverpool fans against Alonso. (Kopites only called him world class after he left and FIFA made him better at passing in a video game, most bought into the waiter and wanted Barry instead). 

You’ve just decided after 22 days at 2:30am to respond to a post I made you are either pissed slow or just come out of hibernation, but just to indulge you I couldn’t give a fuck if turned the fans against Alonso in-fact good, just a shame it wasn’t Gerrard or Carragher as well then he really would have done us all a favour. You may not like him as a person or a manager that’s your prerogative but I’m not here to agree or disagree with your opinion, it’s your opinion and we both know that you won’t change it so there’s really nothing to discuss particularly on something that occurred over god knows how many year’s ago.

Try and can’t back to me with your response by December mate it’s a busy month for me, with most of my clients end of financial year and needing house numbers to appease their share holders 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He seems to have made things simpler. Watching his press confrences he seems to be a very likeable person and always remains composed. I'm surprised at how a lot of the fans have already changed their tune from when he was announced. I'm still struggling to see how we finish in the top 8 this season with the lack of recruitment, however I'm actually enjoying the football we have been playing. I've got a sneaky feeling we are going to give some of the big boys a really tough game this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/09/2021 at 00:09, Cornish Steve said:

Every team around us spent more money, that's for sure. It remains to be seen whether they improved. After all, we spent more than most in some recent seasons but didn't improve.

True, but you see the names United bought and they're not overpriced or gambles like we'd be doing. They're established serial winners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt said:

True, but you see the names United bought and they're not overpriced or gambles like we'd be doing. They're established serial winners.

There’s a lot more to an acquisition of a football player than a reported transfer fee. These players may not be overpriced in transfer fee but their wages and other fees are astronomical. Yes, Ronaldo is arguably the best player in the world and £15m seems a ridiculously low price but factor in £480k a week - yes, probably still worth it but you get my point…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, c1982 said:

There’s a lot more to an accusation of a football player than a reported transfer fee. These players may not be overpriced in transfer fee but their wages and other fees are astronomical. Yes, Ronaldo is arguably the best player in the world and £15m seems a ridiculously low price but factor in £480k a week - yes, probably still worth it but you get my point…

I'd rather acquire players rather than accuse them and guilt them into signing....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, c1982 said:

* acquisition

I know mate :) I was replying in a rush, apologies. 

there is a key part of your original post that actually contradicts your point though; they're worth it. Our mass spending hasn't been worth it and that's the fundamental difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I know mate :) I was replying in a rush, apologies. 

there is a key part of your original post that actually contradicts your point though; they're worth it. Our mass spending hasn't been worth it and that's the fundamental difference. 

It remains to be seen whether Sancho for £85m and £300k per week is value; personally, that’s massively overpriced to me, and they’ll need to win something with the Varane outlay… regardless, this is a completely different level to our spending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, c1982 said:

It remains to be seen whether Sancho for £85m and £300k per week is value; personally, that’s massively overpriced to me, and they’ll need to win something with the Varane outlay… regardless, this is a completely different level to our spending.

I don't think I've been impressed with Sancho once when I've watched him tbh. He's looked very ordinary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

It remains to be seen whether Sancho for £85m and £300k per week is value; personally, that’s massively overpriced to me, and they’ll need to win something with the Varane outlay… regardless, this is a completely different level to our spending.

Point taken. Varane and Ronaldo have how many domestic and European titles between them, also on stupid wages but older. Its all irrelevant if any or all helps win the league etc. though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Point taken. Varane and Ronaldo have how many domestic and European titles between them, also on stupid wages but older. Its all irrelevant if any or all helps win the league etc. though 

Of course - United not winning the league is the equivalent of us not qualifying for Europe - failure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, pete0 said:

@dunlopp9987 @duncanmckenzieismagic you think we should keep Delph over Davies?

Neither are good enough to be starting for us but maybe the logic behind it was that it would be easier to find a taker for Davies than it would be for Delph given his age and the wages he is on 

I’m sure had a serious offer came in for either we would have accepted it

Personally I would like to see Davies go out on loan for a season somewhere where he can play every week to see if his game develops 

Whereas I would just like to see Delph go full stop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Neither are good enough to be starting for us but maybe the logic behind it was that it would be easier to find a taker for Davies than it would be for Delph given his age and the wages he is on 

I’m sure had a serious offer came in for either we would have accepted it

Personally I would like to see Davies go out on loan for a season somewhere where he can play every week to see if his game develops 

Whereas I would just like to see Delph go full stop

For me Davies is the type of squad player who you need in the team, he knows he’s going to struggle to be a starter but he doesn’t accept it he keeps on fighting for what he believes in, that he’s good enough to play and doesn’t want the easy route out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

For me Davies is the type of squad player who you need in the team, he knows he’s going to struggle to be a starter but he doesn’t accept it he keeps on fighting for what he believes in, that he’s good enough to play and doesn’t want the easy route out. 

I agree he is a good squad filler but he is stagnating here, if anything he’s gone backwards

He needs to be playing regularly if he wants to develop and that is not going to happen here unless we have a spate of injuries 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Neither are good enough to be starting for us but maybe the logic behind it was that it would be easier to find a taker for Davies than it would be for Delph given his age and the wages he is on 

I’m sure had a serious offer came in for either we would have accepted it

Personally I would like to see Davies go out on loan for a season somewhere where he can play every week to see if his game develops 

Whereas I would just like to see Delph go full stop

Who are you dropping for him then Pete?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Who are you dropping for him then Pete?

Allan. Out performed him last season. 

Ancelotti said Davies was the player most like himself. Ferguson and Alladyce put him straight in. Koeman stopped him going to the kids world cup as he wanted him around the first team. All bar Silva have rated him. Find it mad our fans don't get behind him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/09/2021 at 18:45, dunlopp9987 said:

Mark you're not getting it 😂 Sure our team is the same, but arguably every team around us improved.

This is always so strange to me. Why do we think new players equal improvement year after year? If this were true then the level of football in the Premier League would rise year on year and teams would be far better than they were 5 or 10 years ago. It’s a mentality that doesn’t exist to nearly the same degree in other sports. The Chicago Bulls changed very little when they were winning their six titles, as one example. Having a team that is used to playing together that improves as a unit can be just as valuable or more so than new signings. I’ve seen no evidence that you simply get passed by all your competition if you don’t match them in signings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

This is always so strange to me. Why do we think new players equal improvement year after year? If this were true then the level of football in the Premier League would rise year on year and teams would be far better than they were 5 or 10 years ago. It’s a mentality that doesn’t exist to nearly the same degree in other sports. The Chicago Bulls changed very little when they were winning their six titles, as one example. Having a team that is used to playing together that improves as a unit can be just as valuable or more so than new signings. I’ve seen no evidence that you simply get passed by all your competition if you don’t match them in signings. 

I agree with most of this, except for the veiled comparison of Everton to the Chicago Bulls of the 90's. They didn't change much because they were already an unbelievably talented fucking team.

When you have Delphs and Keanes and Holgateses still playing significant minutes for you, you should maybe compare Everton to the Denver Nuggets of the 90's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I agree with most of this, except for the veiled comparison of Everton to the Chicago Bulls of the 90's. They didn't change much because they were already an unbelievably talented fucking team.

When you have Delphs and Keanes and Holgateses still playing significant minutes for you, you should maybe compare Everton to the Denver Nuggets of the 90's.

Fair. I was just making the point that additions don’t equal improvement. Even at the very top of football it seems it’s always about the next big thing. I suppose everyone secretly thinks they are going to win the league and they realize they aren’t getting there with their current squads. I just don’t believe in additions for the sake of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Tbf Allan did have a dip in form when he came back from injury but he is still light years ahead of Davies, he has probably been our best player this season ( yes I know it’s early doors ) so there is no way on Gods green earth he should be dropped for Davies

If all these managers loved him so much why has he failed to nail down a staring spot under any of them ?

Listen I actually like the lad and I love nothing more than local lads making it into the staring XI and hatching out a good career with us . I just think at his age he needs to be playing week in week out and he simply has no chance of that here while we have a fully fit squad

I agree he is a good squad player and he will come in and do a good job when called upon, but not so sure I’d want him playing every week for us at the moment though, but I want more than that for him. I’m not witting him off, which is why I said I would like him to go out on loan 

 

…… probably should be talking about this in the Tom Davies thread but that appears to have gone off on some wired tangent anyway!

Happens here!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

Allan. Out performed him last season. 

Ancelotti said Davies was the player most like himself. Ferguson and Alladyce put him straight in. Koeman stopped him going to the kids world cup as he wanted him around the first team. All bar Silva have rated him. Find it mad our fans don't get behind him.

Agreed everyone wants hotshot spainiard and wants to off our academy kids.  Other teams back their academy and kids and give them a chance to shine.  It’s unfortunate we don’t do that here.  Davies was excellent last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2021 at 08:53, Romey 1878 said:

I don't think I've been impressed with Sancho once when I've watched him tbh. He's looked very ordinary.

I haven't seen anything that impressive from him yet either. I don't watch a lot of German football so I am only judging him by England standards which probably explains it!

23 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

This is always so strange to me. Why do we think new players equal improvement year after year? If this were true then the level of football in the Premier League would rise year on year and teams would be far better than they were 5 or 10 years ago. It’s a mentality that doesn’t exist to nearly the same degree in other sports. The Chicago Bulls changed very little when they were winning their six titles, as one example. Having a team that is used to playing together that improves as a unit can be just as valuable or more so than new signings. I’ve seen no evidence that you simply get passed by all your competition if you don’t match them in signings. 

I agree.

An Everton example I will use is how the David Moyes team managed to keep going at a certain level year after year despite the big money coming into the league. We probably had the most settled squad in the division. It was a really good unit, that could overcome a weak link here or there. When that side started to fall apart, so did we.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2021 at 17:26, markjazzbassist said:

Agreed everyone wants hotshot spainiard and wants to off our academy kids.  Other teams back their academy and kids and give them a chance to shine.  It’s unfortunate we don’t do that here.  Davies was excellent last year.

Except we do, more than most as it turns out. Are we going to have to revisit this whole topic again? I'd rather not to be honest, it's been done to death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Realized his mistake with the 5 at the back, made the change to bring Gomes on, and has us sitting at 10 points. 

Also, we went down 1-0 to both Burnley and Soton and came back to score 3 unanswered. You can see it on the pitch after the match, there's a real cohesion between the coach and the players.

Love what I'm seeing so far. Well played, Rafa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Realized his mistake with the 5 at the back, made the change to bring Gomes on, and has us sitting at 10 points. 

Also, we went down 1-0 to both Burnley and Soton and came back to score 3 unanswered. You can see it on the pitch after the match, there's a real cohesion between the coach and the players.

Love what I'm seeing so far. Well played, Rafa.

He'd deserve credit if he changed it before we went one down. Clear as day it wasn't working in the first half. Why wait until the score?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll also add that I am not sure what the thinking was behind Godfrey being the central CB. 

That changed much sooner, maybe after around 30 minutes or so, but I couldn't see the benefit of doing that given how we played and with the strengths and weaknesses of those 3 players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

The manager knows what he's doing.

To our dismay he managed a 3-0 deficit to win champions League.  

Im pretty sure he knew what was and wasn't working but wanted to ensure he gathered his data and instructions. 

 

You think he was right to keep doing what we were in the first half? It was as bad as any game I've seen, struggling to get out of our half, terrible short corners, and just the one shot. Why not change it at half time?

They didn't win because of him, they won in spite of him. Kewell injury and Shevchenko misses played a much bigger part. Only thing I was dismayed at was the bookies being closed, I tried to bet on them at half time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You think he was right to keep doing what we were in the first half? It was as bad as any game I've seen, struggling to get out of our half, terrible short corners, and just the one shot. Why not change it at half time?

They didn't win because of him, they won in spite of him. Kewell injury and Shevchenko misses played a much bigger part. Only thing I was dismayed at was the bookies being closed, I tried to bet on them at half time.

Everton could win the league on a 0-0 draw and you would be on here bitching and moaning about how we looked dreadful and didn't deserve the trophy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Everton could win the league on a 0-0 draw and you would be on here bitching and moaning about how we looked dreadful and didn't deserve the trophy.

You enjoyed the first half? I appreciate more than just results. 

We play like we did today and more often than not we'll not get the three points. Burnley outplayed us for 60 minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You enjoyed the first half? I appreciate more than just results. 

We play like we did today and more often than not we'll not get the three points. Burnley outplayed us for 60 minutes.

No, I didn't enjoy the first half. But Rafa realized his mistake, made some tactical changes at the half (Townsend said as much in his post-game interview), made a sub to bring on Gomes, and the rest is history.

I'm sorry, but how are there people who are going to bitch and whine about someone realizing they've made a mistake, rectifying said mistake, and then succeeding.

I don't use this phrase often, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but Pete....

 

You're just a Grumpy Gus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

No, I didn't enjoy the first half. But Rafa realized his mistake, made some tactical changes at the half (Townsend said as much in his post-game interview), made a sub to bring on Gomes, and the rest is history.

I'm sorry, but how are there people who are going to bitch and whine about someone realizing they've made a mistake, rectifying said mistake, and then succeeding.

I don't use this phrase often, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but Pete....

 

You're just a Grumpy Gus.

What changed between half time and their goal?

People said the same when I moaned about Silva. And the football today was very similar to that. The players had no idea how to get out of their own half, Burnley completely dominated us for an hour.

Am I happy with three points, yes. Am I happy to watch Everton play like that every week, hell no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

To be fair, they outplayed us for 25 minutes not 60. We finished the first half better and started well the second half… and typical Everton we start playing better, then they scored.

We responded with a corner straight away, and you could literally hear Allan shouting and getting them going. 

Allan is the one on the pitch trying to organise them all the time I seen him having words with Coleman at one point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fucking hell, Pete. Pretty much every manager in the world gives 10-15 mins after the restart to see if the team talk worked. It didn't, we conceded, he changed things pretty much immediately, we scored 3 in 5 mins (bar the obvious offside). He saw his talk hadn't work and was a little slow in changing that's your complaint? :rofl:At least he changed. The corrupt fucker you idolise as manager wouldn't have done a thing and just bemoaned the result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

You think he was right to keep doing what we were in the first half? It was as bad as any game I've seen, struggling to get out of our half, terrible short corners, and just the one shot. Why not change it at half time?

They didn't win because of him, they won in spite of him. Kewell injury and Shevchenko misses played a much bigger part. Only thing I was dismayed at was the bookies being closed, I tried to bet on them at half time.

Hahahaha.   He switched them to a 3 man defence and when they bought on a winger at the end he switched Gerrard to right back who played it like a prime Gary Neville.

Ffs I've gone and done it, I've given Gerrard praise all I needed to do was involve Harry Kane and it's full combustion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You would think that we have an elite squad of players who no matter what formation or tactics you use - they will get the result.

Couldn't be more wrong.   

Last season we lose that game.  Benitez studies the game intently, and I mean intently.   He is in a zone, passionate but totally immersed in what is going on.  You can see with the players - they are being coached, clear instructions, fitness.

Got ourselves a manager here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hafnia said:

You would think that we have an elite squad of players who no matter what formation or tactics you use - they will get the result.

Couldn't be more wrong.   

Last season we lose that game.  Benitez studies the game intently, and I mean intently.   He is in a zone, passionate but totally immersed in what is going on.  You can see with the players - they are being coached, clear instructions, fitness.

Got ourselves a manager here.  

But do you actually meant intently, or intensely?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

You enjoyed the first half? I appreciate more than just results. 

We play like we did today and more often than not we'll not get the three points. Burnley outplayed us for 60 minutes.

Didn’t enjoy the first half, but we were better towards the end. It’s 4 games into the season, and we played without our key focal point. 
I was uncertain about his appointment but I’ll judge him on results at the end of the season, not game by game, especially so early on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...