IGNORED

Clément Lenglet

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think he would be a very good edition to the team - and maybe a much better value buy than Koulibaly. Cheaper fee and wages as well as being a fair few years younger. 

Not sure why Barca would want to sell one of their best centre backs though. 

Because they're basically bankrupt?

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

Rather spend that amount Dumfries or McNeil, we're not desperate in the centre half position.

I would assume that if CB was purchased then Holgate or Mina would be moved on - and thus not much of a net spend - fee or wages. Might get decent money for Holgate from other Prem club as being home grown player. 

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

koulibaly and now lenglet, why do you think we need a CB so bad?

Did....did I say that we need to go out and buy him? All I said was that for a defender of his caliber, €25m is a great price.

I don't think I've ever said that CB is our #1 priority. All I've said is that if the funds are available, and if we've filled the gaps in the rest of the squad, I would love to see us upgrade at CB. 

Marky Marky why so snarky?

44 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Barca said to want €25m for him. Honestly, for a defender of his caliber, that's pittance

It is. We just don't really need a CB. If we've got spare cash, even then I'd be strengthening other areas first. 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

It is. We just don't really need a CB. If we've got spare cash, even then I'd be strengthening other areas first. 

In my opinion, obviously after filling the gaps that need filling (RB, right winger, attacking mid), CB is one that could use some work. I understand we have "depth" there, but I just don't rate Mina, and I definitely don't rate Holgate. A rotating 3 of Keane, Godfrey and someone like Lenglet would make me feel a lot more comfortable at the back.

49 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

In my opinion, obviously after filling the gaps that need filling (RB, right winger, attacking mid), CB is one that could use some work. I understand we have "depth" there, but I just don't rate Mina, and I definitely don't rate Holgate. A rotating 3 of Keane, Godfrey and someone like Lenglet would make me feel a lot more comfortable at the back.

Holgate was outstanding two years ago. The talk was “could we keep him”? He took a step back last year for whatever reason (covid year, injury issues) but it’s way too early to just block him by bringing in another CB. Mina has had a bit of an up and down career with us but I thought he was quite solid last year and is a premier league starting quality CB at this point. Unless someone goes it’s just not a position of need. With the exception of Keeper, it has to be last on the list. 

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Did....did I say that we need to go out and buy him? All I said was that for a defender of his caliber, €25m is a great price.

I don't think I've ever said that CB is our #1 priority. All I've said is that if the funds are available, and if we've filled the gaps in the rest of the squad, I would love to see us upgrade at CB. 

Marky Marky why so snarky?

Mark the snark was my rap name.  I jest.  You’re right I read it wrong, my apologies.  Thought you said you wanted him.

He was unbelievable at Sevilla and I can see why he got the move to Barca. Supposedly, hasn’t worked out for him at Barca (don’t watch as much La Liga now it’s not on Sky) but if he’s still got what he did in his Sevilla days then he’d be a massive upgrade on what we’ve got and I’d happily sell 2 of Mina (only due to contract), Keane and Holgate to bring 1 better centre back in whilst probably making money to spend elsewhere. Centre back may not seem a priority but it’s certainly an area we can be clever in to create funds/space elsewhere.

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

He was unbelievable at Sevilla and I can see why he got the move to Barca. Supposedly, hasn’t worked out for him at Barca (don’t watch as much La Liga now it’s not on Sky) but if he’s still got what he did in his Sevilla days then he’d be a massive upgrade on what we’ve got and I’d happily sell 2 of Mina (only due to contract), Keane and Holgate to bring 1 better centre back in whilst probably making money to spend elsewhere. Centre back may not seem a priority but it’s certainly an area we can be clever in to create funds/space elsewhere.

I also heard that it hadn't worked out for him at Barca, but when I checked the stats I was surprised to see he played a lot of games for them last season.

• 10 months later...
17 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Like Gerry, Digne and Mina? We’ve done well with Barcelona “outcasts”. Even Gomes was excellent for us his first year before the injury. 

None of them hit the ground running.

1. Gerry barely could complete 60 mins, awful fitness.

2. Mina is always injured. Still having the occasional brain fart when he plays. Not reliable at all and definitely not a good deal overall. 

3. Gomes was meh even in the first season. I think people like him because he's genuinely a very nice guy, but other than that it's was a bad deal for the club.

4. Digne definitely the best out of all, but was never quite as good as Baines or Coleman in their prime. Still good signing, but even the broken clock is right twice a day.

My point is, we need players with potential that will improve us in the long run. Think of Richarlison, DCL, Pickford. These are players that can fit in Barcelona squad right away. Those who weren't good enough for Barcelona, will not suddenly become good enough for Barcelona once they come tо Еverton.

6 hours ago, Haiku said:

2. Mina is always injured. Still having the occasional brain fart when he plays. Not reliable at all and definitely not a good deal overall. 

3. Gomes was meh even in the first season. I think people like him because he's genuinely a very nice guy, but other than that it's was a bad deal for the club.

4. Digne definitely the best out of all, but was never quite as good as Baines or Coleman in their prime. Still good signing, but even the broken clock is right twice a day.

My point is, we need players with potential that will improve us in the long run. Think of Richarlison, DCL, Pickford. These are players that can fit in Barcelona squad right away. Those who weren't good enough for Barcelona, will not suddenly become good enough for Barcelona once they come tо Еverton.

That isn’t really true though.  Digne in particular was excellent immediately. So much so that the transition form Baines to him was not a transition at all. I guess I could scroll through the pages here but my recollection is that Gomes was quite well thought of after his first season. We were forced to let Gerry return but there is no chance that would have happened if it was t in the contract. 

The point is that all our Barcelona “castoffs” have at least had moments for us and Mina, Gerry, Digne were all good signings on balance. It’s just odd to me you think the likes of some of those weren’t players with potential that improved us. 

Unrelated, I guess, but it’s very rosy thinking to believe Dom could play for Barcelona. One solid year for Everton where all of your goals come from inside the penalty spot doesn’t make you a world class striker, much as I like Dom. 

He didn’t say Digne wasn’t excellent, just not as good as Baines and Coleman. 
I think Digne was excellent too, but I also don’t think he was as good as those two. I’d rather he was still an Everton player though. 

On this guy. I’ve never heard of him. I’d rather we were buying players on their way up than on their way down, and after Barcelona it’s pretty much down coming to Everton. That said, if we get him and he’s very good then great. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

He didn’t say Digne wasn’t excellent, just not as good as Baines and Coleman. 
I think Digne was excellent too, but I also don’t think he was as good as those two. I’d rather he was still an Everton player though. 

On this guy. I’ve never heard of him. I’d rather we were buying players on their way up than on their way down, and after Barcelona it’s pretty much down coming to Everton. That said, if we get him and he’s very good then great. 

There aren't many who were better than those two in their prime! 

I had no idea he was still 26, seems to have been around for absolutely ages this lad. Would have honestly said he was about 31-32.

Looks as though he's joining Spurs on a two-year loan deal though, it's all over the news.

On 01/06/2022 at 08:29, Haiku said:

How dare you criticise my boy Geri, still breaks my heart it didn't work out with him.