IGNORED

NBCSN shutting down at end of 2021

This news and thread will interest only fans of Everton and EPL living in US.  If it’s being discussed elsewhere on TT, my quick perusal of threads missed it.

For me, this is big, very disappointing news.  Maybe it’ll turn out well, but in the short run, it’s not good.

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/us-premier-league-coverage-nbcsn-shuttering

I’ve been able to follow Everton consistently beginning around 2013, when NBCSN got the EPL rights in US.  Switching lots of matches to Peacock has been disappointing, but overall NBCSN’s coverage of the EPL has been excellent.

That NBCSN is being shut down (mid-season in EPL), as one person quoted in the story says, “is absolutely bonkers.”

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

This news and thread will interest only fans of Everton and EPL living in US.  If it’s being discussed elsewhere on TT, my quick perusal of threads missed it.

For me, this is big, very disappointing news.  Maybe it’ll turn out well, but in the short run, it’s not good.

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/us-premier-league-coverage-nbcsn-shuttering

I’ve been able to follow Everton consistently beginning around 2013, when NBCSN got the EPL rights in US.  Switching lots of matches to Peacock has been disappointing, but overall NBCSN’s coverage of the EPL has been excellent.

That NBCSN is being shut down (mid-season in EPL), as one person quoted in the story says, “is absolutely bonkers.”

That is unfortunate, but I've had Peacock since the beginning and haven't been all too fussed about it.

18 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

That is unfortunate, but I've had Peacock since the beginning and haven't been all too fussed about it.

I got Peacock fairly early.  Don’t enjoy matches on smaller-screen Peacock as much as on NBCSN, but not a big issue, I agree.

However, after this season, Peacock may be — I’d guess probably will be — useless for EPL/Everton, as NBC may well be outbid for new EPL contract.  In fact, why would the EPL want to continue to work with a corporation that has done this?  As noted in the article I linked, the decision to shut down NBCSN seems bizarre, as it had risen to the #2-rated sports network in the US.  Surely its coverage of the EPL was a major factor in its wild popularity.  Seems “bonkers,” truly.

2 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I got Peacock fairly early.  Don’t enjoy matches on smaller-screen Peacock as much as on NBCSN, but not a big issue, I agree.

Excuse the ignorance but why/how is the Peacock service restricted to a smaller screen?

10 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm assuming he only watches on his laptop or tablet. I have the Peacock app on my Apple TV so I'm able to watch that way

Ah right. My TV has had no connection to the satellite dish since my family redesigned my whole house while I was in hospital last year, because the wires off it no longer reach the TV position, but if I want to watch something on TV I just stream on laptop and attach via HDMI. Was going to extend the wires but no need.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I watch streams online on shady sites because I can’t afford cable tv so this doesn’t affect me.

Shady sites have come on a long way, used to be you'd have dreadful resolution and constant buffering but now reliable HD streams to be had. I'm told:unsure:

Not that I'd ever advocate someone using them.

14 hours ago, Sibdane said:

I tried NBCSN but wasn’t too impressed (same with Peacock). It wasn’t worth the price to me.

I get NBCSN as part of my mid-priced (?) package from DirecTV.  Haven’t actually thought about it in 7-8 years, as I’ve simply gotten used to watching lots of EPL on the single American provider of EPL.

I’m genuinely curious as to what you find unimpressive about NBCSN.  If it’s their overall programming, I agree.  But I only watch their EPL programming.  I’ve paid a bit extra the last 2 EPL seasons, as many matches have moved from NBCSN to Peacock.

However, having said all that, the important issues for most American football fans of the EPL are several: (1) What exactly will happen at end of 2021 when NBCSN is no more?  (2) The short-term answer seems to be that for Spring 2022, EPL matches will be shown on USA Network and Peacock.  Then, (3) the much bigger issue is who will win the next — 2022-23 season and 5-10 years beyond —  contract in US for EPL?  And (4) as subset of this long-term issue is whether EPL matches will increasingly move to some streaming platform.  An obvious possibility would be something like ESPN+.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 13:36, MikeO said:

Excuse the ignorance but why/how is the Peacock service restricted to a smaller screen?

I presume he was meaning via a streaming app (which you can put on TV) vs a cable channel directly from your cable provider.

My uneducated hunch, is NBCSN is being closed down to funnel money to Peacock. Greed/survivability, but the cord-cutters have flipped the cable subscription model on it's head.

Still, NBC did better than ESPN (who is bleeding money). They have the rights to the FA Cup (and league) the last couple years, and did not put a SINGLE match on their cable outlets - everything was via ESPN+. Every round was available, which was good, but I hate the way they (and NBC) are doing it. I get it, but I don't like it.  Instead of a $150 cable bill, at some point I'll have a $70 streaming service, and 10-12 $6/month subscriptions. It's  already to the point in the US that it seems my apps have apps.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

NBCSN seemed to show many more Everton matches than Peacock. In fact, Peacock, in my opinion, is very disappointing.

Well between the 2,all 38 were available. My biggest knock with peacock was lack of halftime/post game studio stuff that NBCSN had. Where do I get my Rebecca Lowe fix?? 

7 hours ago, Ghoat said:

I presume he was meaning via a streaming app (which you can put on TV) vs a cable channel directly from your cable provider.

My uneducated hunch, is NBCSN is being closed down to funnel money to Peacock. Greed/survivability, but the cord-cutters have flipped the cable subscription model on it's head.

Still, NBC did better than ESPN (who is bleeding money). They have the rights to the FA Cup (and league) the last couple years, and did not put a SINGLE match on their cable outlets - everything was via ESPN+. Every round was available, which was good, but I hate the way they (and NBC) are doing it. I get it, but I don't like it.  Instead of a $150 cable bill, at some point I'll have a $70 streaming service, and 10-12 $6/month subscriptions. It's  already to the point in the US that it seems my apps have apps.

i like ESPN+ but i have young kids so already have a disney+ subscription so ESPN+ is free for me (hulu too) :)  so just disney+ and netflix for me, got a friends login for HBO max i'm set, 31 dollars a month is all i'm on the hook for.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i like ESPN+ but i have young kids so already have a disney+ subscription so ESPN+ is free for me (hulu too) :)  so just disney+ and netflix for me, got a friends login for HBO max i'm set, 31 dollars a month is all i'm on the hook for.

It's the damn Brit shows via Prime that are getting me! BritBox, Acorn, Masterpiece Theater... I do snag my oldest daughters Hulu, and youngest daughters Disney (basic) and they use my NF and Prime. I've been thinking about threatening to take them both off the car insurance or make them cover the streaming stuff. Wife says I can't do that. 

Dammit 🤣

On 21/07/2021 at 22:10, markjazzbassist said:

Unless I'm doing something very stupid, Disney+ in the UK gets you just Disney+

On 24/07/2021 at 10:47, Matt said:

Unless I'm doing something very stupid, Disney+ in the UK gets you just Disney+

Same for me. There are bundles like Mark is talking about that include either Hulu and/or ESPN+, but they are separate from the Disney+ subscription I have. 

• 3 weeks later...