IGNORED

Asmir Begovic

1 hour ago, patto said:

Apart from academy players we seem to be being linked to ageing players and free transfers doesn’t look good I thought we’d learnt a lesson with the ones we’re trying to get rid of now. 

Twitter comment on Summer 21 Transfers thread - we only can spend £25 million without selling players so we might need some budget buys unfortunately. Got to hope Kean, James go.

• Romey 1878 changed the title to Asmir Begovic
17 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Back up 'keeper for free on a two year contract, fine with that personally, 34 year old anywhere else on the pitch a big no. 

Yeah, 34 no age for a keeper. Decent enough and shit loads of Premiership experience. Perfect as back up keeper. I would guess half the wages of say Romero.

19 minutes ago, patto said:

I'd rather have Virginia Begovic is awful now he's finished 

You’ve clearly not watched a lot of Championship football over the past 12 months as he’s been very good for Bournemouth. I’ve no problem with this signing - I wanted Romero but actually he’s probably more of a risk having sat on the bench for so long.

13 minutes ago, patto said:

I’m not sure Begovic  played for Bournemouth last season I think he’s been on loan 

First choice keeper since Ramsdale left. Bournemouth (who famously can’t defend) had one of, if not, the best defensive records in the league last season. 

I agree, why pay a wage to another goalie just to sit on the bench, when we already have one. And Patto was right he's been on loan for 18 months.

On 2 September 2019, Begović was sent on a 6-month loan to Qarabağ.[82] He made his debut for Qarabağ on 15 September 2019, in a 2–0 victory against Neftçi in the Azerbaijan Premier League.[83]

He signed on loan for Serie A club AC Milan for the rest of the 2019–20 season on 13 January 2020.[84]

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

I agree, why pay a wage to another goalie just to sit on the bench, when we already have one. And Patto was right he's been on loan for 18 months.

Not really because patto said...

46 minutes ago, patto said:

I’m not sure Begovic  played for Bournemouth last season I think he’s been on loan 

...and he wasn't out on loan last season, played 45 of 46 league games.

As an aside I thought I'd have a gander at a Bournemouth site to see what they thought of him (mostly very positive) and this comment made me laugh...

"So where does that leave Pickford, arguably England’s player of the tournament?"😂

36 minutes ago, Bill said:

On 2 September 2019, Begović was sent on a 6-month loan to Qarabağ.[82] He made his debut for Qarabağ on 15 September 2019, in a 2–0 victory against Neftçi in the Azerbaijan Premier League.[83]

He signed on loan for Serie A club AC Milan for the rest of the 2019–20 season on 13 January 2020.[84]

You do realise the 2020-21 season happened though? He was the first choice keeper for Bournemouth for the whole of last season (bar one game).

Anyway, I agree with this…

Regarding ‘we already have Virginia who can sit on the bench’… we need 3 first team keepers. What if one got injured then his replacement got injured or sent off? Begovic will be good competition in my opinion and a decent mentor for Virginia.

I saw him in a couple of Bournemouth games last season and I noticed him because I was surprised to see that he was still there. He looked at the level Stek did while he was here. Solid enough, lots of experience but you don't want him to play every week. 

I believe you need 3 keepers for the Premier League squad so it makes sense as now one of Virginia / Tryer can go out on loan again. 

3 hours ago, patto said:

So why sign him ? Both our young keepers are better than him

Exactly that, they are young keepers. Don’t know what makes you think they are better than him. 
Virginia did ok when he played last season, but needs to be out on loan playing every week if he wants to progress. He’ll get no better sitting on our bench. 
Don’t even know who the other one is, but I’m guessing you’ve seen enough of him to rate him so highly. 

15 hours ago, Btay said:

Smart this. I still wouldn’t be surprised if Virginia got game time in the cups as well. Loads of experience, calm and consistent keeper. Will only benefit our younger keepers. 

I'd like to see Virginia loaned out to be honest, in a perfect world he goes back to Portugal so that he can get top flight experience. I think he needs to take the next step in his development in order to hopefully actually make something of himself.

As you say, he will only get the cup games (at best) with Begovic now here.