IGNORED

Dwight McNeil

Aidan

26 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

He can dribble at pace, he can cross the ball well, he has a good engine and is good defensively and already has plenty of Premiership experience  - at 22 seems to be decent enough value at £15M and most probably reasonable wages to boot. There is room for improvement, by that's why he is an affordable £15M and not an unaffordable £30M. In 12-18months time it is the improvement or good use of these signings that Lampard and Thelwall will be judged against.  

I can get behind this signing much more than the grossly over paid Walcott's, Bernard's and Bolasie's of this world.

Heard he was on something like 70k / week, which is well above reasonable for his production, in my book anyway.  

12 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Heard he was on something like 70k / week, which is well above reasonable for his production, in my book anyway.  

There are probably 200+ players in the league that make that. He’s 22 with good experience in the league. Even we have 8-10 players who make that or more.  

57 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

There are probably 200+ players in the league that make that. He’s 22 with good experience in the league. Even we have 8-10 players who make that or more.  

Which has been a major problem for us. Exorbitant wages have financially crippled us because we haven't been able to shift players who don't work out, since no one with a brain will match our wages. 

For a player with his production needs to be on max 40k (which is still insance) and any more performance based and improved contract if he earns it. 

I’m warming up to this transfer. We need a left footer, it’s easy to forget he is only 22 so there’s a good chance we get our money back at worst with him.

Also, Tarkowksi has come in and already shown to have a bit more to his game than he was able to show with burnley ( mainly in passing ). I’m holding on to some hope that Mcneil can flourish here and showcase a bit more of his technical ability here than he could with Burnley.

15 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Which has been a major problem for us. Exorbitant wages have financially crippled us because we haven't been able to shift players who don't work out, since no one with a brain will match our wages. 

For a player with his production needs to be on max 40k (which is still insance) and any more performance based and improved contract if he earns it. 

The point is that 70k isn’t exorbitant relative to the league or our team. He’d be well below average for a 1st team starter. Your issue seems to be with Premier League salaries in general.

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Why?

Otherwise we're backed up with 4 - 5 predominantly left sided players (Gordon, Gray, Dele, McNeil, Cornet), whereas we only have 1 (Townsend) on the right.  Possibly 3, if including Mills and Iwobi on the right.

McNeil and Cornet are left footed, if Lampard wants inverted wingers.

24 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Otherwise we're backed up with 4 - 5 predominantly left sided players (Gordon, Gray, Dele, McNeil, Cornet), whereas we only have 1 (Townsend) on the right.  Possibly 3, if including Mills and Iwobi on the right.

I wouldn’t say any of those are predominantly any side (Dele in particular is not a wide player). Forget Mills, and we know Iwobi isn’t a winger as we found out last season, finally. If Townsend makes a good recovery we don’t need to be counting on him either.

Gordon and Gray are both right footed, we need a left footed winger in there. As we’ve not had a left footed winger for some time I don’t think we’ve seen anything to suggest the want for them to be inverted. But only having right footers we’ve had to play one of them on the left. 
If we did play with inverted wingers it reduces the threat of DCL as a goal scorer anyway. 

We’ll need options, if we have two right and two left footered wingers it will give that. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I wouldn’t say any of those are predominantly any side (Dele in particular is not a wide player). Forget Mills, and we know Iwobi isn’t a winger as we found out last season, finally. If Townsend makes a good recovery we don’t need to be counting on him either.

Gordon and Gray are both right footed, we need a left footed winger in there. As we’ve not had a left footed winger for some time I don’t think we’ve seen anything to suggest the want for them to be inverted. But only having right footers we’ve had to play one of them on the left. 
If we did play with inverted wingers it reduces the threat of DCL as a goal scorer anyway. 

We’ll need options, if we have two right and two left footered wingers it will give that. 

Not disagreeing with any of that, just looking at where they have all predominantly played (which is left, according to Transfermarkt).

I'm hoping that we'll be fairly fluid across the wing positions, swapping during a game but inverted wingers is pretty well the norm now and was Lampard's style at Chelsea.

As for DCL, I'd say he (and Everton) needs to be less predictable anyway.

2 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

McNeil will no doubt play on the right, especially with Patterson bombing on down the right. Gordon & Gray cover the left. Dele & Iwobi central with Townsend back up for Mcneil. ( Gordon or gray are more than equipped to play on the right as well ). It’s more depth than we’ve had for a long time to be honest.

44 minutes ago, Btay said:

McNeil will no doubt play on the right, especially with Patterson bombing on down the right. Gordon & Gray cover the left. Dele & Iwobi central with Townsend back up for Mcneil. ( Gordon or gray are more than equipped to play on the right as well ). It’s more depth than we’ve had for a long time to be honest.

I can see us selling someone but not a clue who.

Interesting if you go back to the first page of this thread - we where having very similar discussing about him, but talk was of between £25M and £35M for him last summer. A 21/22 years maybe having a bit of a dip in form last season in a struggling Burnley team has not turned him in to a shit player, but it has almost halved his price!! - now actually is the time to buy him.