IGNORED

Demarai Gray

I think we are definitely seeing a realignment in this squad at the moment. 

Could almost say Gray is a straight swap for Bernard and Townsend for Walcott (who maybe we actually could have done with last season). Halved the wages, but still have two player who will most likely be just as effected as the players they replaced (but perhaps more so). I think the players coming in will definitely be hungrier.  Neither of these player are likely to elevate us to CL, but the two they replaced where not doing that either. 

I know we need better players than 'mid table' ones if we want to improved, but the reality of FFP is I don't think the club have any option but to have a frugal season (or two) and balance the books. These are the rules of footballs governing bodies now, and there is no getting away from it. We just don't have the 'revenues' that allow us to buy big season after season. 

We have had two seasons of massive loses, the balancing needed over 3 seasons comes home to roost this year. It does not matter that we have owners that are willing swallow these loses- its just not allowed now. This season might just have to be a 'pause' on trying to spend our way in to the upper echelons. The club win have to demonstrate this season it is at least trying to conform to FFP rules. 

So in this climate, Gray is a decent enough signing as maybe a replacement for Bernard.. 

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

It doesnt matter of the player costs us a tenner or £100mil. All that matters is what happens on the pitch. 

If you want a squad full of players costing less than £2mil you should watch more of league 2.

Schmichael £1.25m

Simpson £2m

Fuchs - free

Morgan - £1m

Huth £3m

Kante £5.6m

Drinkwater £0.675m

Mahrez £0.4m

Albrighton free 

Vardy £1m

They did ok didn't they? 

No-one is saying that buying cheap is the model for success - but buying players with talent with something to prove is. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Schmichael £1.25m

Simpson £2m

Fuchs - free

Morgan - £1m

Huth £3m

Kante £5.6m

Drinkwater £0.675m

Mahrez £0.4m

Albrighton free 

Vardy £1m

They did ok didn't they? 

No-one is saying that buying cheap is the model for success - but buying players with talent with something to prove is. 

I quite like that, but let’s wait and see what Gray and Townsend have to offer if anything before we get entrenched in battles of their worth to the squad, personally I think Brands and Co aren’t sure what we are going to get very much a gamble how calculated we will have to wait and see. 

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I quite like that, but let’s wait and see what Gray and Townsend have to offer if anything before we get entrenched in battles of their worth to the squad, personally I think Brands and Co aren’t sure what we are going to get very much a gamble how calculated we will have to wait and see. 

That's my whole take on it.

If Rafa and brands have identified them as being players to offer us something we need.  Which quite evidently is width and pace then we need to see how they do.  

Lets be honest at a total cost of £1.6m and the combined wage of less than what Bernard is probably on it represents very low risk. 

51 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

That's my whole take on it.

If Rafa and brands have identified them as being players to offer us something we need.  Which quite evidently is width and pace then we need to see how they do.  

Lets be honest at a total cost of £1.6m and the combined wage of less than what Bernard is probably on it represents very low risk. 

It just feels like we’re replacing deadwood with deadwood, just cheaper. Not necessarily a bad thing but I expected more progression this summer.

Like I’ve said, though, if these signings aren’t the sum of our transfer window and we do supplement with one or two quality signings then they won’t feel so disappointing.

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Schmichael £1.25m

Simpson £2m

Fuchs - free

Morgan - £1m

Huth £3m

Kante £5.6m

Drinkwater £0.675m

Mahrez £0.4m

Albrighton free 

Vardy £1m

They did ok didn't they? 

I can make you a list of a lot of other players that cost less than £2mil and aren't at this level as well though and plenty of them have a point to prove too. You are going around the houses again instead of addressing the point.

The question is over talent. Price tag doesn't really matter. There is no doubt that financially this is a good deal in that Gray is worth more in today's market. I talked about the opposite in the Lingard thread about where his value is and from that point of view signings like this are better because no matter what happens, the player will be worth more and he will still have years ahead of him. I should point out that they paid around £2mil for him as well and he went there with a point to prove. How did that work out?

The problem is, I just don't think he is a particularly good footballer. Rodgers couldn't improve him and Leverkusen stopped playing him pretty quickly. I have watched some videos of him and he looks brilliant for the U21's but you see the space and time he has. You then watch the clips for Leicester and not only are there not a lot of impressive ones, they mainly show him running into dead alleys and making poor decisions. He has good acceleration and he can dribble, but I am not sure he beats too many defenders at this level with those skills and the rest of his game is below average in the league. There has been a lot of talk made out that Dom will love him because he will get crosses in but I think he is unpredictable and not a good crosser of the ball. Dom will be timing his run to expect the ball in and I can see Gray trying to take a man on again. There is also a very good chance he plays on the left and cuts inside all the time, because he looks even worse on the right.

Hopefully he proves me wrong and can show that he is a much better player than I think he is.

29 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I can make you a list of a lot of other players that cost less than £2mil and aren't at this level as well though and plenty of them have a point to prove too. You are going around the houses again instead of addressing the point.

The question is over talent. Price tag doesn't really matter. There is no doubt that financially this is a good deal in that Gray is worth more in today's market. I talked about the opposite in the Lingard thread about where his value is and from that point of view signings like this are better because no matter what happens, the player will be worth more and he will still have years ahead of him. I should point out that they paid around £2mil for him as well and he went there with a point to prove. How did that work out?

The problem is, I just don't think he is a particularly good footballer. Rodgers couldn't improve him and Leverkusen stopped playing him pretty quickly. I have watched some videos of him and he looks brilliant for the U21's but you see the space and time he has. You then watch the clips for Leicester and not only are there not a lot of impressive ones, they mainly show him running into dead alleys and making poor decisions. He has good acceleration and he can dribble, but I am not sure he beats too many defenders at this level with those skills and the rest of his game is below average in the league. There has been a lot of talk made out that Dom will love him because he will get crosses in but I think he is unpredictable and not a good crosser of the ball. Dom will be timing his run to expect the ball in and I can see Gray trying to take a man on again. There is also a very good chance he plays on the left and cuts inside all the time, because he looks even worse on the right.

Hopefully he proves me wrong and can show that he is a much better player than I think he is.

I don’t think he will prove you wrong history is on your side, but we have to give him the opportunity and time to fit in and maybe some focused coaching from Benitez and we will see a decent player for not a lot of money. I think we will have to get used to bargain basement buys for a bit as we try to work within FFP rules. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Not going around any houses.  You say £2m is league one or two.......  It's not and so many broad generalisations are being made 

You haven't even seen these lads in a blue shirt yet .... But you have been talking them down as if they are going to be shite 

No one knows!!!!  Not even you 

All we have is positivity in the sense that we are signing value players with attributes that are massively missing 

You can say I told you so if they turn out to be crap but like Palfy said you are using history to predict their impact under a manager who knows what he wants.  

So. .. in short,let's see eh. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don’t think he will prove you wrong history is on your side, but we have to give him the opportunity and time to fit in and maybe some focused coaching from Benitez and we will see a decent player for not a lot of money. I think we will have to get used to bargain basement buys for a bit as we try to work within FFP rules. 

Not forgetting we are a mid-table side, hardly attractive to top players who also expect European competition. We really have to prove ourselves this season or twelve months down the line it will be, same old. Hopefully the new faces will be keen to do just that.

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Not going around any houses.  You say £2m is league one or two.......  It's not and so many broad generalisations are being made 

You haven't even seen these lads in a blue shirt yet .... But you have been talking them down as if they are going to be shite 

No one knows!!!!  Not even you 

All we have is positivity in the sense that we are signing value players with attributes that are massively missing 

You can say I told you so if they turn out to be crap but like Palfy said you are using history to predict their impact under a manager who knows what he wants.  

So. .. in short,let's see eh. 

Footballers just don't change stripes overnight. I don't need to see them play in an Everton shirt to find out what they are good at otherwise what would be the point in having a scouting department! 

You say the attributes are missing but we already have Iwobi to run down blind alleys and spoon a cross over the bar! 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Still think Demarai Gray would be a good signing. He has quicksilver feet. Only 22. Impressed me every time I have seen him.

No idea how to quote one topic into another (it was in General Weekend/Midweek Football) but glad my impressions weren't wrong. What a super footballer - pace to burn, great balance, great feet. So glad we picked him up.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Very happy to eat my words with this fella. It is very early days and he started like this in Germany before falling off a cliff but he definitely adds a new dimension to our attack. 

Bags of confidence, he's got Rafa on his side. 

He looked really good on MoTD and interestingly had the highest pass accuracy out of all the players who started the game, suggesting he didn't often waste possession.

Be interesting to see if he can keep this form up. He's come here as a kind of "make or break" signing, so has a lot to prove.

On 23/07/2021 at 10:57, Hafnia said:

Schmichael £1.25m

Simpson £2m

Fuchs - free

Morgan - £1m

Huth £3m

Kante £5.6m

Drinkwater £0.675m

Mahrez £0.4m

Albrighton free 

Vardy £1m

They did ok didn't they? 

How could you forget our very own captain! 😳