IGNORED

Demarai Gray

22 minutes ago, Formby said:

Which begs the question why Lampard has not done that. Why do we always play players in their wrong positions? And not to their strangths? It's a real Everton curio, that.

Gray has certainly not come back the same. Trying to do too much, I guess, but that's what happens when the whole team is misfiring. He is trying to do it all himself.

is the case that Gray can only play if we are counter attacking? I don't think so.  

When we bought Gray the general consensus from Leicester fans was that he has bags of talent but is frustratingly inconsistent - he would be mustard or poor.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

is the case that Gray can only play if we are counter attacking? I don't think so.  

When we bought Gray the general consensus from Leicester fans was that he has bags of talent but is frustratingly inconsistent - he would be mustard or poor.

I think Gray benefited from Benitez's trust and a clear set of instructions which worked very well, particularly in a counterattacking setup. At the moment, he is making generally wrong choices, which is very frustrating. That could because the team is set up differently, or that Lampard hasn't told him what to do, or he's just not getting it (he is inconsistent). We could really do with Lampard teasing some quality performances out of him becuase we have precious little quality anywhere else.    

11 minutes ago, Formby said:

I think Gray benefited from Benitez's trust and a clear set of instructions which worked very well, particularly in a counterattacking setup. At the moment, he is making generally wrong choices, which is very frustrating. That could because the team is set up differently, or that Lampard hasn't told him what to do, or he's just not getting it (he is inconsistent). We could really do with Lampard teasing some quality performances out of him becuase we have precious little quality anywhere else.    

Gordon doesn't seem to have a problem with the instructions and he is the least experienced member of the team.  He didn't have a problem with Rafa's instructions either.....  Digne did.

Personally I'm at the point where I don't give a shit if the players like the instructions or not, i'm yet to hear a manager instruct players to go out and not track runners, to not block crosses getting into the box - but this is what the player seem to be doing.

A bunch of absolute cowards.

Some of our fans are turning into a bit of a joke too..... critiquing managers based on who they managed before, selling players they should or shouldn't sell.  I didn't want Rafa but I found the incessant nonsense about him from fans pathetic - it played into the players hands when they downed tools...... "lets blame the kopite".

Now it seem Lampard is tactically inept or whatever.......  ffs he is managing a group of players who can look like they are gonna dominate a game in the first 15 minutes to looking like they are taking part in a charity match the next 75.

Lampard is the one constant we need in this club - he has the balls and integrity to stand up to the nonsense that the other managers just sucked up to earn a few quid.  He is the first manager i've seen look genuinely angry with the players since Moyes. 

21 hours ago, MC11 said:

Lad on the train home yesterday nailed it. Benitez played to Townsends and Grays strengths as they were his signings. Now that’s gone they are struggling. More so Gray.

Initially I agreed with that, but reading it again I’m not so sure, if he played to their strengths how come we were loosing so many games, it’s a bit too simplistic.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Gordon doesn't seem to have a problem with the instructions and he is the least experienced member of the team. 

Exactly.

Gray was a nice surprise initially. For sure, he's not contributing right now the way he was before, but I don't think that's anything to do with manager at all. First, he demonstrated his value mostly during a run of easier games early in the season. Next, he became injured and has hardly had a chance to play recently - two games? DC-L is taking a while longer to return to form, so no surprise that Gray needs time, too. Let's see how things are in mid-April or May.

16 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Initially I agreed with that, but reading it again I’m not so sure, if he played to their strengths how come we were loosing so many games, it’s a bit too simplistic.

Agreed. We played our easiest games at the start of the season. It's no surprise that Townsend, in particular, has tailed off since then. It's pretty much the same with Gray. How quick we are to forget the pathetic run of games we had from October to January.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Quite simply because Benitez Alienated the whole squad…. Slowly but surely the wheels came off. To the point where every single players confidence has hit rock bottom. 

12 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Well that’s tough shit isn’t it.  I’m sure there are lots of things players prefer - Digne preferred to attack rather than defend and fell out with Rafa about it, as a fan I prefer a player doing what they are asked to the best of their ability. 

all hands to the pump, they can ask frank for special considerations in the summer but for most of them they will be getting asked to clear their lockers. 

Ahh I forgot you were present when Digne had that bust up with Benitez.

Its really weird, because I am pretty sure he is defending under Gerrard and hasn't fallen out with him (yet). He also didnt fall out with the previous managers who also asked him to defend? 

Going back to Gray, its obviously a lot easier as a quick, quality dribbler to look good on the counter attack. Doing the same against a more settled defence is a lot harder. Its not about doing what they are being asked to do or not, its a case of how easy it is to implement those instructions.

As it stands, I don't know what instructions the wide players are being asked to at the moment. 

He still runs down blind alleys and continually loses the Ball. Its no wonder we got him for next to nothing.

Townsend has been the same, started off with a few decent games but is now showing what you get when you shop in the bargain basement.

19 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Agreed. We played our easiest games at the start of the season. It's no surprise that Townsend, in particular, has tailed off since then. It's pretty much the same with Gray. How quick we are to forget the pathetic run of games we had from October to January.

We've had plenty of easy games since and lost them. If we'd won even half of them, we wouldn't be talking about relegation now. The dismal run following the Man Utd draw, compounded by injuries and loss of form (or Benitez's dismal tactics and poor man management (delete as aappropriate)), has never been arrested.

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

Going back to Gray, its obviously a lot easier as a quick, quality dribbler to look good on the counter attack. Doing the same against a more settled defence is a lot harder. Its not about doing what they are being asked to do or not, its a case of how easy it is to implement those instructions.

As it stands, I don't know what instructions the wide players are being asked to at the moment. 

Agree with all this. 

9 hours ago, Bill said:

He still runs down blind alleys and continually loses the Ball. Its no wonder we got him for next to nothing.

Townsend has been the same, started off with a few decent games but is now showing what you get when you shop in the bargain basement.

Looks like that's us for the foreseeable future, especially if the unthinkable happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Btay said:

His performances dropped after that goal against Arsenal. Needs to stop cutting in for the wonder shot every time and move the ball around. Has all the ability in the world but he needs to be better.

For sure, but it's nice to have a player that actually has ability. We need more of them!

2 hours ago, Formby said:

For sure, but it's nice to have a player that actually has ability. We need more of them!

Yes but he limits how effective he can be with some of his decisions. All I’m saying is he could be a lot better by doing a bit less in certain moments.

On 27/05/2022 at 07:21, c1982 said:

Sell Gray - sign Sarr from Watford off the back of a poor season - I think he’s class and could be the right time to swoop.

He’s still living off a couple of goals against Liverpool I think it was.  done nothing last season why I wonder. 

6 hours ago, patto said:

He’s still living off a couple of goals against Liverpool I think it was.  done nothing last season why I wonder. 

I personally rate him very highly - think he’s got a lot more than Gray and that was my point - he had a poor season so his stock will be low.