IGNORED

Salomón Rondón

If this is the standard we are going for, then I would have Rondon as a back up - there, I said it. 

Has the physique to cause defenders problems at the back end of a game (which is when he would be playing) and if starting could do the graveyard shift and bring others into play (i.e. - Richarlison, DCL and Iwobi/Townsend). 

I actually rated him at Newcastle and despite playing in poor leagues since leaving (China and Russia) has managed to keep up a decent scoring record. 

Wouldn't jizz my pants, but wouldn't kick the coffee table over either. Like I've said since the start of summer, I'm past caring about marquee signings and want players that will run themselves into the ground and go through brick walls, if Rondon will do that on the cheap and nick a few goals in the process then happy days.

Just now, Zoo 2.0 said:

If this is the standard we are going for, then I would have Rondon as a back up - there, I said it. 

Has the physique to cause defenders problems at the back end of a game (which is when he would be playing) and if starting could do the graveyard shift and bring others into play (i.e. - Richarlison, DCL and Iwobi/Townsend). 

I actually rated him at Newcastle and despite playing in poor leagues since leaving (China and Russia) has managed to keep up a decent scoring record. 

Wouldn't jizz my pants, but wouldn't kick the coffee table over either.

If its him or Maupay, I'd rather have him. Good character,  hard worker, proper team player. Just not really very good unfortunately, but as you say if this is the standard we're after then he's a good shout. Just depressing were back at that level of hope. 

In an ideal world he’d come nowhere near goodison, but he’d be a pragmatic signing if there is nothing else.

Premier experience, Rafa knows him, and he at least has a way of playing that can be deployed effectively. If Rafa can get some performances out of him, like it appears he can out of gray and andros then this makes sense for 12 months.

At his age he’s sort of player you bring in on short term contract because you are fighting a relegation battle and he might add a spark we aren’t so wtf would you even consider him, if it was to sit on the bench as cover then go for someone younger who will fight to stake a claim in the team. Since we bought Townsend the Journalist’s are dragging up as many as Rafa’s over the hill players as they can. When you look at the signings of some of the team’s around us I feel it’s embarrassing to be linked with the likes of Rondon. 

He's better than nothing. A bit like the Townsend signing, better to have him on the bench than not. Rondon is similar to DCL in style.

It would be nice to sign some promising youngster for 30 million to that role but looks like that's not going to happen. Any major signings need to walk straight into the first eleven. If this one goes through I hope the contract is also similar to Townsend's, i.e. short.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

At his age he’s sort of player you bring in on short term contract because you are fighting a relegation battle and he might add a spark we aren’t so wtf would you even consider him, if it was to sit on the bench as cover then go for someone younger who will fight to stake a claim in the team. Since we bought Townsend the Journalist’s are dragging up as many as Rafa’s over the hill players as they can. When you look at the signings of some of the team’s around us I feel it’s embarrassing to be linked with the likes of Rondon. 

I see him as a Kone kinda signing. Happy to be back up, which is not ideal, but a good character who's not going to rock the boat sitting and waiting and will give his all when he gets a chance.  

51 minutes ago, Makis said:

He's better than nothing. A bit like the Townsend signing, better to have him on the bench than not. Rondon is similar to DCL in style.

It would be nice to sign some promising youngster for 30 million to that role but looks like that's not going to happen. Any major signings need to walk straight into the first eleven. If this one goes through I hope the contract is also similar to Townsend's, i.e. short.

Better than nothing about sums this one up!

I don't particularly dislike him as a footballer, he did well for Rafa at Newcastle and I even think I may have even suggested him as a back up a few seasons ago but it was 3 years ago since he was in the Premier League and those other leagues are nowhere near as intense.

If he can play at the level he did at Newcastle then he will be a better back up than anyone else we have at the moment. There must be a big question as to whether he is though. 

What's the problem? Rondon is adequate cover with PL experience to Dom. He's better than no cover at all and offers us an option.

I trust Rafa to bring in players with the right attitude to change the mentality of the squad, it seems to have worked so far.

It's not like were signing Maupay for £25m to fight for a spot is it. Realistic expectations.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Get all that but the major issue for me is that his name rhymes with condom, I know we need to take precautions with new signings but that shouldn't be a barrier to higher ambition.

As always Mike you've brought up a very valid point which much be considered.