IGNORED

Salomón Rondón

19 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I was highlighting the difference between players who care and want to be part of the the club, they do their research because they care because they want to be part of the team which is what Rondon showed, and James didn’t because he’s not a team player if it’s not about him he doesn’t want to know, I’m shocked you would try a defend any player who plays for us not knowing who our next opponents are, unlike you and me who don’t play for the club we may forget now and then who we play next, but a player being paid millions a year should know no excuses it’s part of his job, but maybe only if you care about the club that pays your wages. 

You've totally ignored my point, and you're just making assumptions based on your prejudices.

I say again, there is zero comparison between the printed independent report of what James said, with no context attached, and the Everton TV "advertorial" of a new signing.

I get you can be upset (though I'm not) that James doesn't know who we're playing next and be impressed by the Rondon interview, but the two events are in no way comparable.

19 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Players and managers usually say, when interviewed, that they are looking ahead to the next game so I assume they know the opponents.

But does it matter if they don't? They'll be working on their role in the game but I can't imagine the training staff banging on about, "Burnley will do this, Burnley will do that." Opposition name is irrelevant, game plan is what matters.

On 02/09/2021 at 23:35, Hafnia said:

Rondon: “When I go away with the national team, I’ll always say to the players, ‘I don’t care if you miss a pass or score an own goal, but I do care if you don’t put your foot in. And if you don’t put your foot in then you’ll have to fight me in the dressing-room. Win that first ball in the air.’ This is my attitude.

"The career of a footballer is too short. You have to give everything to football because football gives you everything" 

I like that alot. 

Just seen this but if this sums up his attitude I'm very pleased we got him in. Class.

It will be interesting to see how much he features & if he will play from time to time in a 2 with DCL.

7 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Just seen this but if this sums up his attitude I'm very pleased we got him in. Class.

It will be interesting to see how much he features & if he will play from time to time in a 2 with DCL.

He will put some serious pressure on DCL.  Not that DCL needs motivation but all players need competition.

I honestly really liked him for WBA and Newcastle.  Proper old fashioned brute.

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He will put some serious pressure on DCL.  Not that DCL needs motivation but all players need competition.

Let's hope he's still got it then. His attitude alone in the dressing room & training should give us a boost, despite what happens on the pitch. A common theme in the singings we have made. A dissapointing window in terms of overall quality - but a really good one in terms of the mentality of the players we have brought in. Maybe that's what we needed.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I remember watching him and being reminded of Henry.  It in the play style, but he always seemed to be hitting the crossbar, or rasping a shot inches wide. 
He was so close so much, that his scoring record could have been very different.

Looking forward to seeing him on the pitch. Imagine Dunc coaching him!

20 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I remember watching him and being reminded of Henry.  It in the play style, but he always seemed to be hitting the crossbar, or rasping a shot inches wide. 
He was so close so much, that his scoring record could have been very different.

He's more Denis Stracqualursi than Henry. 

I think our problem has been that we have not brought in players that have the right 'hunger' - They know that Everton will be the peak with regard to footballing level and pay packet (your Bolaise, Siggardson, Tosun types). They where never going to be on Cheslea Man U radars. Coming from lesser teams and peaking earning potential with us. 

The you have those coming in the other direction - coming down a peg perhaps from teams that may be challenging for honours with us giving them big wages. Your Schniderlin, Walcotts, Delph and even your James types.  

We have had money available and spent it pretty poorly and not looked hard enough at the attitudes and motivation of the player coming in on for these big fees and wages.

I think Benitez is a little more sharper than his most recent predecessors, when it comes to the attitude and motivation of the players he is bringing in to the club. I think Moyes was the last manager we had the would scrutinise attitude as much as he did the technical ability of the players he brought in.  And pound for pound he did very well on the money he had at his disposal. 

55 minutes ago, Shukes said:

High praise comparing him to Henry but he is definitely a far better player than credited for. 

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

You not rate him at all? 

I didn't say that, really not watched him enough to properly judge, but Henry was among the best in the World in his generation. Rondon has played for West Brom and Newcastle and had a strike rate of a goal every four games when last in England so different planet, not writing him off and I hope he does well obviously.

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I didn't say that, really not watched him enough to properly judge, but Henry was among the best in the World in his generation. Rondon has played for West Brom and Newcastle and had a strike rate of a goal every four games when last in England so different planet, not writing him off and I hope he does well obviously.

Fair enough.  Yeah I think he will be very good for us.  Fan favourite - I'm serious. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

High praise comparing him to Henry but he is definitely a far better player than credited for. 

Not comparing the players mate. 
Just from watching him, he reminded me a young Henry…. The one that got into so many good positions…. But then missed by an inch.

For Newcastle Rondon hit some powerful shots that had the keeper beat, but missed by an inch. He was almost a very good player all the time.

Henry became a world class player. Rondon could become a pretty good player for us if he pulls that inch back.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, patto said:

I know he’s not fit yet but I’m worried he won’t get fit enough for the Premier League surely young Ellis Simms will offer more, Rondon  couldn’t possibly start against Villa. 
I believe he has a 2 year contract that’s mind blowing. 

I am so baffled by this. Over the 4/5 years we haven’t had a striker to come on and look after the ball and get us playing up the pitch - we have that now.

Simms can probably run the channels better but Richarlison can do that and DCL does it great.