IGNORED

Salomón Rondón

1 minute ago, johnh said:

Steve, you're not on the same drink as Biden are you?😁

In all seriousness, my brother was involved in planning arrivals for world leaders in Cornwall for the recent conference there. Biden arrived after 1am, shook hands and greeted people, took an hour-long limo ride to St. Ives, and was interviewed at 7am with other leaders. My brother was genuinely impressed by the guy's stamina. Mind you, maybe he thought he was in Florida!

• MikeO changed the title to Salomón Rondón
11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Are there no such things as training sessions?  It's truly embarrassing to see him on the pitch right now.

It's called match fitness for a reason.

Unless mid season training is as  competitive and intense as football matches - which they aren't, the body will not adapt. 

Neither he or Sims have match fitness.  

Rondon will get there quickly.  Despite this being repeated many times over the years by managers and players people seem to think mid season training is enough. It's not. 

If DCL wasn't injured, Rondon would have been playing under 23 matches and coming on for last 10 minutes till he got fit. 

Haf is spot on, I doubt Rafa would have thought that he would loose Dom so early on and need to bring Rondon in until he nearer match fitness. After the debacle with James and his reluctance to play if it was a bit cold/windy/rainy/anyotherloadofoldbollocks this lad is taking one for the team when not match fit. It was laughable at times yesterday watching him lumber about and at one point throttle a Norwich players neck, things can only get better, a goal would do him the world of good confidence wise.

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

It's called match fitness for a reason.

Unless mid season training is as  competitive and intense as football matches - which they aren't, the body will not adapt. 

Neither he or Sims have match fitness.  

Rondon will get there quickly.  Despite this being repeated many times over the years by managers and players people seem to think mid season training is enough. It's not. 

If DCL wasn't injured, Rondon would have been playing under 23 matches and coming on for last 10 minutes till he got fit. 

Then why isn't Rondon playing with the U-23s? Other older players have done that to gain fitness. He's simply nowhere near the standard needed to be playing with the first team.

2 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Haf is spot on, I doubt Rafa would have thought that he would loose Dom so early on and need to bring Rondon in until he nearer match fitness. After the debacle with James and his reluctance to play if it was a bit cold/windy/rainy/anyotherloadofoldbollocks this lad is taking one for the team when not match fit. It was laughable at times yesterday watching him lumber about and at one point throttle a Norwich players neck, things can only get better, a goal would do him the world of good confidence wise.

Yes, it was laughable. Worse, it was embarrassing. We should never put ourselves in such a position.

9 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Then why isn't Rondon playing with the U-23s? Other older players have done that to gain fitness. He's simply nowhere near the standard needed to be playing with the first team.

He can’t be playing with the U23s whilst he’s needed as cover, as others have said not an ideal situation but needs must, we’re lucky it’s not cold windy or raining😉

Can't quite understand the criticism of Rondon in a blue just yet.  Going to need at least another 3-4 weeks to be at the fitness level needed to be fully effective in Premiership. He is essentially only on pre-season. Even after players have had a proper pre season - It take a good 3-4 game before they are match fit. 

With no others available to play then it is a case of making best do with what you can put out on the pitch, even when its not ideal - don't quite understand the gripe about it, especially when it worked out OK and we comfortably took the 3 points. 

28 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I can't believe we don't have someone better in the U-23 squad. 

Ellis Simms is on the bench but he too is lacking match fitness after injury.

Clearly benitez thinks Rondon is the best option and if he has to play one into fitness it makes sense to go with experience. 

43 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Can't quite understand the criticism of Rondon in a blue just yet.  Going to need at least another 3-4 weeks to be at the fitness level needed to be fully effective in Premiership. He is essentially only on pre-season. Even after players have had a proper pre season - It take a good 3-4 game before they are match fit. 

With no others available to play then it is a case of making best do with what you can put out on the pitch, even when its not ideal - don't quite understand the gripe about it, especially when it worked out OK and we comfortably took the 3 points. 

No doubt a bit of it is cos we got rid of Rodriguez.  Not sure how this fits but if it is also in relation to Moise kean then the same applies ...... Don't wanna be here - off you go. 

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

There is needing match fitness and then there is Rondon's performances so far.

Take any footballer that's not played competitive football in 5 months and you will see a seriously off pace player. 

He's someone who relies on athletic edge to make his mark.  

Far too much criticism coming his way. Ridiculous.  

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Take any footballer that's not played competitive football in 5 months and you will see a seriously off pace player. 

Not really ridiculous. Just because there's a valid excuse doesn't excuse the fact he's been shit and worse than expected.

I still think he'll be capable backup, but he is not there yet and by the time he's halfway up to speed, DCL should be fit again. Hopefully. 

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don't think anyone is expecting Rondon to come in and begin firing from game one.

I also don't think anyone is expecting him to be able to give his all for 90 minutes.

I do think it is reasonable to have expected more from him so far, because he has offered very little at all.

Just now, Bailey said:

I don't think anyone is expecting Rondon to come in and begin firing from game one.

I also don't think anyone is expecting him to be able to give his all for 90 minutes.

I do think it is reasonable to have expected more from him so far, because he has offered very little at all.

You clearly have no idea how detrained he is.  Several weeks of not playing is tough enough ..... 4 months he's had off.

Add to that he is being expected to be on the pitch for at least 70 minutes.  

He will be told how hard to push on the basis of injury risk.

We have no other striker options, if we did we would see them.