IGNORED

Community shield, does it count as silverware?

Do you consider the community shield to be silverware/trophy?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Yea or nay

• Yes it counts for silverware/trophy
    • No it’s a glorified friendly

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If only we had the opportunity!

Absolutely because it would mean we'd won a proper trophy but are people genuinely thinking in the aftermath of a league or cup win, "..that's brilliant, we qualified for the Community Shield"? Are they bollocks. In the seventies teams rountinely refused to take part; I went to four of them in the eighties and we won three, it was a fun day out but really no big deal. Best one was in fact the one we didn't win, the draw with Liverpool, 99,999 Scousers (plus me) belting out, "Are you watching Manchester!" Now that was a fucking great day.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Absolutely because it would mean we'd won a proper trophy but are people genuinely thinking in the aftermath of a league or cup win, "..that's brilliant, we qualified for the Community Shield"? Are they bollocks. In the seventies teams rountinely refused to take part; I went to four of them in the eighties and we won three, it was a fun day out but really no big deal. Best one was in fact the one we didn't win, the draw with Liverpool, 99,999 Scousers (plus me) belting out, "Are you watching Manchester!" Now that was a fucking great day.

Of course they aren't but if you have the chance to win a one-off game and get a recognised trophy for it, then fuck it, I am going to brag about it.

We are talking about Everton here, any silverware is worth celebrating!

great stuff guys, like usual i put the cart before the horse.  to get into the Shield you have to win a trophy, so it's kinda a mute point because we would have already won something :)  but it's interesting to see this info here.  i wonder if there was someone some iteration where we lost a cup final or something but got to play the community shield (not sure that's possible) and won and that would be the better question, would that count and be celebrated?  seems it would still be split opinion.

29 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

great stuff guys, like usual i put the cart before the horse.  to get into the Shield you have to win a trophy, so it's kinda a mute point because we would have already won something :)  but it's interesting to see this info here.  i wonder if there was someone some iteration where we lost a cup final or something but got to play the community shield (not sure that's possible) and won and that would be the better question, would that count and be celebrated?  seems it would still be split opinion.

It is, eg in 1985/6 we finished second to Liverpool in league (pipped by them by two points when they got 34 from 36 in the last twelve games and we managed to lose to Luton and Oxford in the same period:crying:) and cup, but we contested the CS without properly "qualifying."

It was, as I said above, an incredible day. Trophy was shared, no extra time/pens back then; went home very happy despite not having won the thing, that was pretty irrelevant.