IGNORED

Southampton (Home) Saturday 14 August

markjazzbassist

On 10/08/2021 at 12:22, MikeO said:

"Everton and Southampton will both warm-up for Saturday's Premier League meeting at Goodison Park in specially-designed rainbow shirts.

The tops, made by kit manufacturers Hummel, have been created to raise awareness for inclusivity in sport."

Everton & Southampton warm-up tops

Ā 

We have a chance of getting a result if we both play in this kit.

On 11/08/2021 at 14:22, Bailey said:

I am looking forward to it. I am not particularly hopeful but I don't think it can be as disappointing as last season.

Ā 

This is my feelings to. It would be hard to beat the disappointment of last season for me. We have a more balanced team this year, and I think we will have more fight in us.

On 12/08/2021 at 01:09, Btay said:

I think the opposite - 0-0 with both teams not showing any attacking intent. Iā€™ll be surprised if James is in the squad at the moment and we are seriously lacking any attacking intent.

See I feel the players we have added are just that. Townsend and Gray havenā€™t been brought to defend have they? They have been brought in to give us more balance offensively.

Townsend has pace on him and isnā€™t scared to get a cross whipped in.

Gray has good feet and pace, and is a very offensively direct player.

If these two replace the back passing we suffered last season, then surely that makes us more attacking than lastā€¦ maybe just a little bit?

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

See I feel the players we have added are just that. Townsend and Gray havenā€™t been brought to defend have they? They have been brought in to give us more balance offensively.

If these two replace the back passing we suffered last season, then surely that makes us more attacking than lastā€¦ maybe just a little bit?

I hope so mate. I have really liked the intent in pre season to get to the by line and cut the ball back which is exactly Grays game. I feel James isnt going to be playing and Iā€™m perplexed by that. Also add in DCL hasnā€™t played a game in pre season, Richarlison could be rested & Kean doesnā€™t seem to be training with the first team we are so thin on attacking players.

Ā 

I see the starting line up as:

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Pickford

ColemanĀ  KeaneĀ  Ā GodfreyĀ  Digne

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā AllanĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā Douncoure

TownsendĀ  Ā  Ā  GreyĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Iwobi

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā DCL

Possibly with Iwobi or Grey switching position.Ā 

I think we will see a massive improvement down the right hand side. Coleman and Townsend are both solid hardworking professionals and I can actually see these two working well as a pairing and developing a decent partnership. Townsend will help out defensively and there is also decent cover with Allan in the middle - I am hoping to see Coleman at his attaching best.Ā Ā I think the key will be Coleman staying fit - especially considering we may not have a 'starting RB' ahead of him. the balance on the right is so muchĀ better.Ā  Coleman has goes in him when he gets forward, and Townsend can definitely hit a shot from outside of the area.Ā 

I think teams will definitely have more to think about when they play us this season.Ā 

I think James will be wrapped in cotton wool a little bit before the transfer window - so don't think he will be used before the beginning of September, possibly the same with Kean. This makes sense if selling one two are ourĀ best options of freeing funds.Ā 

From a 'media circus' point of view it may be better if these player did find another clubs, and we had the funds to invest else whereĀ Ā - I don't know about others, but am getting a little tired of a lot of the media coverage revolving around these two players - as its not exactly positive stuff. Nobody is ever bigger than the club - so time to move them on.Ā 

If they are on the books come start of September, then Benitiez just has to work with what he has available.Ā 

I would like to think we will be getting 3 points with the Goodison faithful back!!

COYB

Ā 

just listened to Benitiez pre match press conference and one this that stood out is that he doesn't want to give to much away regarding who is available to play.Ā 

I remember thinking Ancelotti used to say far to much when players whereĀ unavailable, all that did was help opposition managers plan their tactics. So I am glad Benitiez is going to be a bit more tight lipped.Ā 

Ā 

21 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

just listened to Benitiez pre match press conference and one this that stood out is that he doesn't want to give to much away regarding who is available to play.Ā 

I remember thinking Ancelotti used to say far to much when players whereĀ unavailable, all that did was help opposition managers plan their tactics. So I am glad Benitiez is going to be a bit more tight lipped.Ā 

Ā 

He often said players were unavailable and then theyā€™d be playing come match day, and vice versa.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He often said players were unavailable and then theyā€™d be playing come match day, and vice versa.Ā 

unlike Ancelotti, who was frustratinglyĀ happy to blab two days before the match who was and wasn't available. Keep 'em guessing until an hour before kick off.Ā 

Ā 

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

Against Utd he was matched by Shaw doing a half sprint and Maguire eased past him in a foot race. Towsend might have been holding a bit back, but I am not convinced he has genuine pace. He also did quite a lot of defending too!

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

unlike Ancelotti, who was frustratinglyĀ happy to blab two days before the match who was and wasn't available. Keep 'em guessing until an hour before kick off.Ā 

Ā 

I think Romey was saying the opposite. Carlo used to say players were out injured and then they would start.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Against Utd he was matched by Shaw doing a half sprint and Maguire eased past him in a foot race. Towsend might have been holding a bit back, but I am not convinced he has genuine pace. He also did quite a lot of defending too!

I think Romey was saying the opposite. Carlo used to say players were out injured and then they would start.

think he may have done it once or twice towards the end of his time. I remember listening to mostĀ pre match press conference - thinking why are letting the opposition know so much 48hrs before a game.Ā Ā 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

At the same time mate, he eased passed them just as easy. I donā€™t know what he would be like in a sustained run, but his burst pace, or acceleration seemed pretty decent against Utd.

But agreed, itā€™s hard to really judge in a friendly. Many may have been holding back.

50 minutes ago, Shukes said:

At the same time mate, he eased passed them just as easy. I donā€™t know what he would be like in a sustained run, but his burst pace, or acceleration seemed pretty decent against Utd.

But agreed, itā€™s hard to really judge in a friendly. Many may have been holding back.

I saw him burst by a couple in America but not against Utd. You can see with Gray that he has that sharpness at the Premier League level. I am still not sure about Townsend albeit it is a very small sample!Ā 

I would love to see him sprint past someone tomorrow and bang one in the back of the net!

I watched the Man U match twiceā€¦. Because Iā€™m stupidā€¦.. it was his best match ore season. It was just a shame Dom wasnā€™t on the pitch, because he put two gorgeous crosses in that were begging to be put away.

I also watched Gray pretty closely. Was pleasantly surprised at how fast his feet were. He has some real nice control of the ball. Also noticed is he isnā€™t as one footed as people said he was.

But both were still outshone by Iwobi. If he could finish, he would be an asset. Not sure if thatā€™s just because everyone else was poor like haha!

Here we go then. I'm not attending Goodison today, nor am I confident of a result or good performance - I am however still incredibly jealous of the fans that get to go today and hope you all enjoy it. I bet Goodison will be absolutely rocking.

With a thin squad due to isolation, and a natural lack of quality, I can see both teams today looking to beĀ  resolute and focusing on a clean sheet before anything else. Our best player's who can play won't be fully fit either, DCL without a run out pre season & Richarlison must have tired legs.Ā 

Our only hope is if the new boys step up, with a distinct lack of quality in the players available they must hit the ground running and I hope Grey and Townsend show how important they want to be.

Ā 

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Zero sleeps left!

Cant wait to get back in to the old routine, going to be a boss day today regardless of the result, although a win will be the icing on the cake!

Definitely not taking the car, meeting the lads in town then taxi to the Brick, probably get in the ground early to try and avoid the mayhem andĀ have a few scoops in the concourse so I will probably be that pissed before a ball has been kicked that I will think Iā€™m watching Everton circa 85, then the Mrs is picking the kids up after the game and Iā€™m off back in to town with the lads

Couldnt even imagine being one of those fans who has waited all this time to get back to the Old Lady just to boo Rafa

You deserve to see a win mate brilliant attitude šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘