IGNORED

Aurelio Buta

massive difference from the belgian league to the premier league.  if we are hoping this is our RB situation solved i'm not impressed.  he is a Niels type signing, cheap and one for the future, i doubt he will walk in and be a starter.  honestly i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play all year just getting up to speed (like Niels).  i like the move if we buy an actual RB, i don't like the move if he's our coleman replacement now.

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

massive difference from the belgian league to the premier league.  if we are hoping this is our RB situation solved i'm not impressed.  he is a Niels type signing, cheap and one for the future, i doubt he will walk in and be a starter.  honestly i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play all year just getting up to speed (like Niels).  i like the move if we buy an actual RB, i don't like the move if he's our coleman replacement now.

You might be right, but we never really have all the facts. Perhaps this is one for the future/an emergency starter while we wait until January or the summer  when we will have more financial flexibility. It’s hard to believe we’d have the ability to sign a good, proven RB and we’d just pass so I tend to think if we just make a move like this it’s part of a medium term strategy. Given that Godfrey can be asked to play out there I can see us choosing to spend our limited funds elsewhere this window while at the same time taking a swing on a youngster. 

34 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Didn’t we all get excited about Brands being the master of discovering these low-priced hidden gems when he came? Well, maybe this is an example…

yes we all want that, but right now we don't have time to develop him, we need a starter this second.  belgian league young guy doesn't scream "premier league starter day 1"

6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We can’t be naive though MJB. Good players can come from any league. A good scout will find players in these lower ranked leagues.

Not saying he is one, but not going to rule him out either without seeing him, just because he is from a certain league.

yes i used to think the same, davy klaasen, cenk tosun, etc changed my opinion.   i'm all about signing those players to learn/grow and be the diamonds in the rough.  but i don't expect johnny scottish league (or similar) to come in and perform day one, if they do great!  but i think it's way too high an expectation for those lower leagues.  there are outliers, yes i'm aware.  but the flops outnumber them.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes i used to think the same, davy klaasen, cenk tosun, etc changed my opinion.   i'm all about signing those players to learn/grow and be the diamonds in the rough.  but i don't expect johnny scottish league (or similar) to come in and perform day one, if they do great!  but i think it's way too high an expectation for those lower leagues.  there are outliers, yes i'm aware.  but the flops outnumber them.

Do they, though? Or do the flops just stick out more because they're flops.

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We can’t be naive though MJB. Good players can come from any league. A good scout will find players in these lower ranked leagues.

Not saying he is one, but not going to rule him out either without seeing him, just because he is from a certain league.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes i used to think the same, davy klaasen, cenk tosun, etc changed my opinion.   i'm all about signing those players to learn/grow and be the diamonds in the rough.  but i don't johnny scottish league to come in and perform day one, if they do great!  but i think it's way too high an expectation for those lower leagues.

Seamus being the ultimate example, didn't perform from day one admittedly, but still.

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

They were bad signings though mate. Both at established ages and we paid big money thinking we were getting big players. 

This guy at 3 million is low risk and really cannot be worse than some of the 20+ million players we have been buying.

I for one, am so sick of buying those players and then seeing these cheaper diamonds out perform them.

15 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

most of those were a decade ago or more.  your seamus example is exactly what i was talking about for my point though.

So that means they don't count? I think they're great examples of what can be done in the "budget" market, that's not changed.

6 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Ndidi, Soucek, Tierney. And these are just the guys who have been rousing successes. There's countless others who, while not world-beaters, are certainly good players.

i wouldn't consider any of the 3 you mentioned world beaters, they would just be good.  VVD and Kante would be the World-beaters.  I would expect a Starting RB for us to be better than Tierney to be honest, i don't think he's that good, coleman on his day is way better than tierney (despite them playing different positions).  this is kinda my point, we need quality immediately.  please let me know other than the 5 listed who these ubiquitous "countless others" are.  because i'm talking quality players here, not a bench player, we are trying to get a Starting RB.

At £3m or so is peanuts in todays market. Will also be low wages.

At worst will fill in if Coleman is crocked (guessing would be an upgrade on Jonjo - who we could then sell), at best could thrive and do a good job as a attacking minded right back. Read one article saying 19 assists in just over 100 games. If that is the case he must have good delivery.

Lose no sleep on a player who costs £3m. Its those who come in at £20m+ that HAVE to perform, ( and we have to many of these who haven't performed.) that worry me more. 

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i wouldn't consider any of the 3 you mentioned world beaters, they would just be good.  VVD and Kante would be the World-beaters.  I would expect a Starting RB for us to be better than Tierney to be honest, i don't think he's that good, coleman on his day is way better than tierney (despite them playing different positions).  this is kinda my point, we need quality immediately.  please let me know other than the 5 listed who these ubiquitous "countless others" are.  because i'm talking quality players here, not a bench player, we are trying to get a Starting RB.

They might not be world beaters but they would all start here. Tierney was Arsenals best player last season, he is surprisingly good, far better than Coleman. 

At Leicester you have Suyuncu, Vardy and Fofana who have come directly from relatively unrecognised clubs. Tielemans came from Monaco but he hadn't done a great deal there following signing from Anderlecht. 

I am not sure where you rank the Portuguese league but plenty of City and Wolves signings have come from there. Zinchenko and Jesus came from nowhere. 

Even across the park, Robertson came from Rangers to play at a high level at Hull. Mane went from Salzburg to fit right in at Southampton. Suarez didnt do badly coming from the dutch league either.

The league is full of players coming from smaller leagues and making an impact. It is all about the player. If they are good enough, they will make it anywhere, but I would agree that some players suit certain leagues better.

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

At £3m or so is peanuts in todays market. Will also be low wages.

At worst will fill in if Coleman is crocked (guessing would be an upgrade on Jonjo - who we could then sell), at best could thrive and do a good job as a attacking minded right back. Read one article saying 19 assists in just over 100 games. If that is the case he must have good delivery.

Lose no sleep on a player who costs £3m. Its those who come in at £20m+ that HAVE to perform, ( and we have to many of these who haven't performed.) that worry me more. 

I get your point, but there is also no point clogging the squad up with £1m, £3m etc players who aren't good enough. 

If he is good enough, buy him. If he isn't, then don't. Don't just buy players because they are cheap or you end up like we did last season in not trusting the backups like Niels and Kenny and playing centre backs at full back.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

They might not be world beaters but they would all start here. Tierney was Arsenals best player last season, he is surprisingly good, far better than Coleman. 

At Leicester you have Suyuncu, Vardy and Fofana who have come directly from relatively unrecognised clubs. Tielemans came from Monaco but he hadn't done a great deal there following signing from Anderlecht. 

I am not sure where you rank the Portuguese league but plenty of City and Wolves signings have come from there. Zinchenko and Jesus came from nowhere. 

Even across the park, Robertson came from Rangers to play at a high level at Hull. Mane went from Salzburg to fit right in at Southampton. Suarez didnt do badly coming from the dutch league either.

The league is full of players coming from smaller leagues and making an impact. It is all about the player. If they are good enough, they will make it anywhere, but I would agree that some players suit certain leagues better.

i wouldn't count tielemans, soyuncu, fofana, mane (i consider the "big leagues" england spain italy germany france), they all came from those bigger leagues.  we are talking lower leagues.  your points about the portuguese and brazilians are well taken though, you're right they have produced some nice players recently.  thank you for answering my question