IGNORED

Nathan Patterson

c1982

36 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't understand why Coleman is the wing back and Kenny was the 3rd CB? 

I don't like the idea generally but I would have it the other way around every day of the week and then its much easier to bring on Patterson for Kenny when we need a bit more at the end of the game.

Same - Coleman could do that Azpelicuta ( spelling ) role and is probably more suited to that then playing wing back. Kenny has put some decent crossed in of late as well. Head scratcher though 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It shouldn't be underestimated just how much motivation he'll have to prove a point if he is given an opportunity.

I like Lampard but I really feel he's handling this particular issue all wrong.

He’s in a hard spot - If we a solid centre back partner ship I think he would have brought him in games ago for Coleman.

Problem is Mina is made of glass and Keane has fallen apart at the worst time - leaving us with Holgate who we all know is rubbish so naturally we need some experience in the back line. It’s an absolute cluster fuck though.

16 minutes ago, Btay said:

He’s in a hard spot - If we a solid centre back partner ship I think he would have brought him in games ago for Coleman.

Problem is Mina is made of glass and Keane has fallen apart at the worst time - leaving us with Holgate who we all know is rubbish so naturally we need some experience in the back line. It’s an absolute cluster fuck though.

I'm not sure it would have been any different - he's not even picking him on the bench.

19 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not sure it would have been any different - he's not even picking him on the bench.

I can only imagine that is because he has two right backs on the pitch already. 

You can question the quality of those right backs but it makes more sense to just have one left back on the bench, especially when we are playing 4 at the back.

On 14/03/2022 at 09:36, Romey 1878 said:

True mate I didn’t even take notice and just assumed he was. Maybe with Jonjo being suspended and Coleman being Coleman he might get his chance… cannot be any worse than what we have seen of late

Can anyone remember the last time we played the same defence for a period of 5+ games? This is our issue and it’s not helping any of the lads at the back. I’m not saying the last lot we put out are the answer but I think we need to try and keep some familiarity between them.

I think it's unlikely that he starts on Thursday but think there's a good chance he plays him in the cup which would be a sensible thing to do if he's not hugely confident in him based on what he's seen in training.

Ideally he'd get 90 minutes in the cup this time though.

I think that he'd probably be best at the moment played in a 5 as it would allow him to make the most of his attacking ability whilst having a decent bit of cover to help him out at the back.

4 hours ago, RPG said:

If Frank sticks with a back 3 v Newcastle then Patterson could be involved from the bench I think. JJK is suspended and who knows if Keane or DCL will be selected or not. So:

Pickford

Holgate  Keane  Godfrey  (or Holgate  Godfrey  Branthwaite)

Gordon  Allan  Doucoure D V D Beek Mykolenko

Gray  Richarlison

Patterson on the bench would give the option of going to a back four (sub for Holgate and back four of Patterson  Keane  Godfrey  Mykolenko in a 4-4-2) or replacing Gordon if we are winning and just need a more defensive minded wing back. Allan sits deep and shieds the defence.

This persistence with 3 at the back with countless managers is going to be the death of me. It's shit.

Actually, it's not shit but we can't play it effectively.

1 hour ago, RPG said:

I agree. I'm not endorsing 3 at the back, just trying to second guess how Frank might set up. I much prefer a back four with Allan patrolling just in front of them at the base of a midfield diamond.

Oh I know you weren't (I don't think many fans actually want us to play it), it was aimed at all these managers that keep doing it.

I understand them wanting to give it a go but once they've seen that it doesn't work for us they need to just fuck it off. And when it gets there fuck it off some more!

I also dont agree that 5 at the back suits an attacking full back. Sure there are examples where it does suit them but they tend to be really good footballers (James / Alonso spring to mind) and they tend to play for teams that see a lot of the ball.

The reason why a lot of full backs aregood attacking full backs is because they come from deep with a wider player of some sorts ahead of them. When you play as a wing back, they are naturally higher up the pitch and more likely to be marked, giving them less space to do what makes them so good in the first place. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Look at this and tell me Patterson wouldn’t show neves on to his left foot and offer him a race? Wtf is Coleman doing, fuckin joke.

Special mention to doucs and Alli for their ‘token’ efforts there. 

I think this is harsher on Coleman than it is the other two.

Doucoure simply cannot take himself out of the game like that. This is Premier League football not U12s. 

You dont see it very well on that clip but as soon as Neves is away Coleman has an immediate 2 v 1 to defend. He gets himself completely stuck in the middle of Neves and Marcal but he draws Neves inside where there should be cover. 

That cover is Dele Alli. A snowman on the equator would have offered more of an obstacle than him. Neves just saunters into the space he couldnt be arsed to cover. He is a waste of space if I am honest and not the type of player we need in a battle.

Holgate has to hold his position. Donny also ambles back on his line to goal instead of trying to narrow the angle which I find surprising. Its a recovery run of someone who is tiring. 

Coleman, who by this point is almost back into position, gets caught ball watching whilst Marcal cuts in front of him and then gives up on it as it gets to the byline. I think he could have made that little bit of extra effort to cover the angle.

Thankfully its a shit cross. 

That attack was 3 Wolves players v 7 Everton players and we got away with it because of a bad cross.

Whether Patterson would have done better or not I dont know because as soon as it goes 2 v 1 against Coleman with no cover inside he is in trouble. Its not like Patterson is quicker than Coleman but I would hope he would have a bit more energy late in the game to have maybe got himself back in. 

The biggest culprits are Doucoure and Alli but Coleman also doesn't do anything. He had the hardest situation to deal with of the three of them. Donny could have done more too. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think this is harsher on Coleman than it is the other two.

Doucoure simply cannot take himself out of the game like that. This is Premier League football not U12s. 

You dont see it very well on that clip but as soon as Neves is away Coleman has an immediate 2 v 1 to defend. He gets himself completely stuck in the middle of Neves and Marcal but he draws Neves inside where there should be cover. 

That cover is Dele Alli. A snowman on the equator would have offered more of an obstacle than him. Neves just saunters into the space he couldnt be arsed to cover. He is a waste of space if I am honest and not the type of player we need in a battle.

Holgate has to hold his position. Donny also ambles back on his line to goal instead of trying to narrow the angle which I find surprising. Its a recovery run of someone who is tiring. 

Coleman, who by this point is almost back into position, gets caught ball watching whilst Marcal cuts in front of him and then gives up on it as it gets to the byline. I think he could have made that little bit of extra effort to cover the angle.

Thankfully its a shit cross. 

That attack was 3 Wolves players v 7 Everton players and we got away with it because of a bad cross.

Whether Patterson would have done better or not I dont know because as soon as it goes 2 v 1 against Coleman with no cover inside he is in trouble. Its not like Patterson is quicker than Coleman but I would hope he would have a bit more energy late in the game to have maybe got himself back in. 

The biggest culprits are Doucoure and Alli but Coleman also doesn't do anything. He had the hardest situation to deal with of the three of them. Donny could have done more too. 

Why would Coleman show a right footed player with a cannon for a shot who can pick a pass for fun inside where he can pick a shot or pass, rather than show him outside to cross on his weaker foot?

yeah I see the doucs and Alli bit and it’s complete shite but I can not understand why Coleman shows a player on to his stronger foot. 

shite after shite

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Why would Coleman show a right footed player with a cannon for a shot who can pick a pass for fun inside where he can pick a shot or pass, rather than show him outside to cross on his weaker foot?

yeah I see the doucs and Alli bit and it’s complete shite but I can not understand why Coleman shows a player on to his stronger foot. 

shite after shite

Firstly I would say he is on the half way line so its less important to show him onto his wrong foot than it would be if he was closer to goal. 

Secondly I would say Coleman probably wasn't worrying about his footedness in that moment. He is probably thinking, shit I have one player wide and running past me and I have another with the ball in the clear. If Doucoure / Alli were disciplined Coleman would have turned Neves inside and they would have been in position to stop the attack straight away. 

Generally I think its criminal that an opposing midfielder can have that much space to run into in the heart of our midfield. Games are won or lost in midfield and ours was completely AWOL. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Firstly I would say he is on the half way line so its less important to show him onto his wrong foot than it would be if he was closer to goal. 

Secondly I would say Coleman probably wasn't worrying about his footedness in that moment. He is probably thinking, shit I have one player wide and running past me and I have another with the ball in the clear. If Doucoure / Alli were disciplined Coleman would have turned Neves inside and they would have been in position to stop the attack straight away. 

Generally I think its criminal that an opposing midfielder can have that much space to run into in the heart of our midfield. Games are won or lost in midfield and ours was completely AWOL. 

Alli and doucs did what Gomes gets slated for. 

I would hope lampard and co had this on tape and ripped into them. 

9 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The run he did was sensational. 

Why the fuck would anyone play Kenny or Coleman at RWB over this lad?! I can understand not playing him in a 4 at the back but it's so fucked up not to use him when we go with 3 CB's. That's when you need an attacking player - Coleman just doesn't have the legs for it and Kenny makes Hibbert look adventurous.

Lampard's handling of him is bizarre and is pissing me off a bit to be honest. "He's not ready" looks to be a load of bollocks whenever anyone actually gets to see him play. He might be raw, and he might make mistakes, but the other two look shite and make mistakes. Poland are a very decent international side and he was ready to play against them. And if he really isn't ready, how the hell is he ever going to get ready when he's not featuring at all? He doesn't even get games in the U23s!

The only reason I get this is because lampard sees Coleman as a leader… that’s it.
 Do I think Coleman is a leader?  No.  I think he’s a prefect not a captain. Think of the average Joe school captain, nice short back and sides, clean shoes, good grades, puts the cones out, gives a team talk with his dad looking on proudly….. even rolls his sleeves up to give a message! 

we’ve all seen this? Or is it just me….. whereas you get some right gnarly sod who is always in detention who doesn’t give a fuck but can win football games on his own and scare the shit out of the opponents…. Gets dropped for swearing and having a go at his team mates. 

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Absolute madness that he’s not even getting minutes from the bench.

Kenny has shown he’s shite for the most part, and Coleman is so far past his best he’s got e.coli.

Seamus E. Coliman - a highly infectious bacteria found in the intestines of Everton Football Club, noted for causing stomach cramps and diarrhoea amongst the fanbase.

20 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The run he did was sensational. 

Lots slating Coleman, but is he really that bad? Honestly think he lives the club and does his best. Might not be the hard bastard captain some want, but he is inspirational to a lot of young players.

Funny…. That clip above is Coleman 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Lots slating Coleman, but is he really that bad? Honestly think he lives the club and does his best. Might not be the hard bastard captain some want, but he is inspirational to a lot of young players.

Funny…. That clip above is Coleman 5 years ago.

If Seamus Coleman was the same Seamus Coleman as 5 years ago then he would be lying on a sofa with his leg in plaster.  

for all intents and purposes he’s been way past his best for a long time now. 

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

If Seamus Coleman was the same Seamus Coleman as 5 years ago then he would be lying on a sofa with his leg in plaster.  

for all intents and purposes he’s been way past his best for a long time now. 

Not saying he isn’t past his best. Any player that plays with intensity for so long and suffers those injury’s will be.

But he is still a great servant to the club. He seems to get blamed because managers pick him. 

The lad gets picked, plays and tries his best. The most senior player in the squad.

56 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Not saying he isn’t past his best. Any player that plays with intensity for so long and suffers those injury’s will be.

But he is still a great servant to the club. He seems to get blamed because managers pick him. 

The lad gets picked, plays and tries his best. The most senior player in the squad.

We have also had a series of managers that have selected him as captain. 

There is clearly something in him that they see day in day out that they like rather than the 90mins we see every few days. 

As for Patterson I didn't see the game, but a lot of average players can look good in international games. Im not saying he is average, just making the point. Poland are a decent side but the game would be nowhere near PL level. 

I am very surprised that he hasn't seen more time on the pitch, even coming off the bench to bring a fresh injection to the team. There is something about him that the management dont like at the moment but hopefully that will change as its not like our other options in those positions are undroppable.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I don’t have a problem with the career Seamus has had.  Been a solid player for us. 

let’s be honest though, he should have hung up his boots a while ago. He is getting rinsed far more regularly than Gary Neville was when he looked at it and said “no, I’m costing my team”.

the fact he is still playing is an indictment on our recruitment really. 

his supposed leadership isn’t what’ve we or most team needs.  He is a text book pro, that doesn’t make you a leader.  I still retain, his ear cupping to fans and arguing with them when we started to see the shit on the pitch bothers me.