IGNORED

Nathan Patterson

c1982

19 hours ago, StevO said:

And hopefully they can get rid of Kenny and sort out this right back wearing number three nonsense. We all know that’s the most important thing (to me)!

Kenny is gone and so the first part of your wish has been granted.  Just need to see the number assignments.

9 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It’ll be interesting to see how this works out. Our RB are now a near retirement Seamus and a 20 year old coming off a surgery. Presumably Holgate or Godfrey can slide over if need be but it does seem like Patterson is going to have to learn on the job 

This is what I worry about a little bit.

I feel that there is still a good chance that Coleman starts the season.

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

This is what I worry about a little bit.

I feel that there is still a good chance that Coleman starts the season.

First half of the season 100% but I believe Frank will drop him as soon as he has a couple of poor games. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

First half of the season 100% but I believe Frank will drop him as soon as he has a couple of poor games. 

So what happens then if Patterson isn't ready?

I'm not sure how JJK would have improved the situation but someone at the club thought he was needed.

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of dropping him for performance. The plan has to be for Patterson to take over. He just has to show he’s good enough to do that at some point. Probably gonna get his chance sooner than expected if we don’t bring in another RB.

19 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It’ll be interesting to see how this works out. Our RB are now a near retirement Seamus and a 20 year old coming off a surgery. Presumably Holgate or Godfrey can slide over if need be but it does seem like Patterson is going to have to learn on the job 

I don’t have to much of a problem with Patterson I think he would fit well into a Lampard team based on good possession with an attacking mentality, he’s a young lad with a great first touch and an ability to keep possession in a tight spaces, I have a lot of belief in him he could be a great asset for us. 

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think he will and then you play Patterson in spots and hope he takes off. We were really spoiled when Digne came in and rather seamlessly replaced Baines. 

You would think this would have been the plan, but then I wonder why they offered JJK a new contract in the first place?

I don't see Coleman being able to play a big part in our season so we need to really hope that Patterson does come in and hit the ground running when he is given the chance.

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I don’t have to much of a problem with Patterson I think he would fit well into a Lampard team based on good possession with an attacking mentality, he’s a young lad with a great first touch and an ability to keep possession in a tight spaces, I have a lot of belief in him he could be a great asset for us. 

Hopefully he can defend too!

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Yes I think he’s certainly got a high ceiling. The issue, of course, is that he’s 20 and making a big step up in competition. The plan was likely to have Kenny (an OK option) as insurance as Seamus winds down his career and Patterson develops. Now I’d imagine you might see some of Holgate or Godfrey over there If need be. 

38 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Yes I think he’s certainly got a high ceiling. The issue, of course, is that he’s 20 and making a big step up in competition. The plan was likely to have Kenny (an OK option) as insurance as Seamus winds down his career and Patterson develops. Now I’d imagine you might see some of Holgate or Godfrey over there If need be. 

Hopefully he has an old head on young shoulders, I don’t think he will lack the confidence and he’s got the ability now it’s down to Lampard and his back room boy’s to coach him into the system. 

41 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

This is a multi-capped Scottish international we're talking about. He should need no period of bedding in: I'm sure he's just raring to go.

Seen that Scottish team? 😂

Dont forget he wasn’t even first choice at Rangers. I expect he will be our first choice soon enough though. 

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

You're becoming a bit of a misery guts in your old age. :) Is this what the past season did to you? If so, a lot is riding on our preseason.

Haha just a big dose of realism from 38 years of Everton abuse. 😂

I expect the lad to be a very good player, but not because he’s been first choice for a shit Scotland team and not because he wasn’t first choice for Rangers. I don’t think it’ll be a smooth start, but I have faith in Seamus to help him get into it. 
Wouldn’t surprise me to see our defence set up like Jose’s early Chelsea teams, with one full back attacking and one defending, with Patterson being the attacker and Mykolenko being the defender, like Cole and Perrera (spelling?).

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

So what happens then if Patterson isn't ready?

I'm not sure how JJK would have improved the situation but someone at the club thought he was needed.

13 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of dropping him for performance. The plan has to be for Patterson to take over. He just has to show he’s good enough to do that at some point. Probably gonna get his chance sooner than expected if we don’t bring in another RB.

What if Coleman suddenly rediscovers his form? It's definitely form and injury dependent. 

We've got 2 RB on paper. There's a lot of what ifs we could throw out there but as it stands we've got that position covered. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

What if Coleman suddenly rediscovers his form? It's definitely form and injury dependent. 

We've got 2 RB on paper. There's a lot of what ifs we could throw out there but as it stands we've got that position covered. 

From what I see of Coleman it isn't form related, its more his body and what he can cope with week in week out and even across the 90 minutes.

He is a player that has got to where he is with his energy, speed and almost blind ignorance to just keep going regardless and not worry about what might go wrong. His speed is going (especially the longer/more he plays), his energy has gone and his age is catching up with him in that he is doubting himself and losing that fearless edge he had. 

In my opinion they are all the hallmarks of an older player coming to the end of their career where the body can't do what it used to and the mind is starting to second guess what he is or isn't still capable of. Whilst I think he is capable of stepping in and doing a job here and there, I would confidently predict that he would make a lot of mistakes if he played week in week out for another season. That probably means he will end up being player of the season :P 

5 hours ago, badaids said:

Isn’t Rangers first choice right back a complete beast that scores 10 goals a season?  And their captain?

Absolute beast! Didn’t make it in England, managed to get to the Championship with Wigan, 11 games and the highest he got to before he signed for Rangers in the second tier in Scotland. Maybe an SPL beast, but that’s like comparing a house cat to a bobcat. 
He is their captain though. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I think he had a gentle introduction after injury.  I’m sure a good pre season with some of the best full backs in the history of the prem in baines and Cole will help him like mykolenko 

I agree. I hope he starts, but with the back up of taking him out every now and then for Coleman to step in for a game or two. He’s here to be our right back for the next decade, no need for a massive rush.