IGNORED

Neal Maupay

c1982

Averages about one in four in the premier league, though it’s not fantastic it’s limited risk and better than what we have apart from DCL (only around one in two and a half over the last few seasons 34 in 86).

Got to consider that whoever we bring in will know they aren’t first choice, so our targets will reflect that. 

Finishing is questionable, but I really like him as a player and think he'd have a role to play in backing up Dom, or even playing in a wider position. He's an absolute handful, defenders must hate playing against him, goalkeepers not so much. The perfect back up striker for our level, if he'd be willing to accept the role.

1 minute ago, Gwlad all over said:

Do we want to be saddled with low risk, not much to contribute, players down the line? Underwhelmed if we get him.

He's a hard worker, he's a pain the ass, he's clever (from what I remember). If he's available for £10-15m, he's an instant upgrade on Rondon and a good alternative/partner for DCL. 

37 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

Of all the transfer rumours this one makes me the most sick. I don't rate him at all. I know we need a striker and we literally have nothing right now but uughhh.

Did it make you sick that he played 32 league games for the team that finished 9th in the league while we survived by the skin of our teeth? I would kill for 9th place right now. 

21 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Do we want to be saddled with low risk, not much to contribute, players down the line? Underwhelmed if we get him.

We’ve been chasing a rainbow for six years and look at the mess we got into! Low risk needs to be the plan for a little while. Players with premier league experience, solid but underwhelming. Practical or pragmatic if you like. But realistic. 

46 minutes ago, StevO said:

Did it make you sick that he played 32 league games for the team that finished 9th in the league while we survived by the skin of our teeth? I would kill for 9th place right now. 

Funnily enough, it made me feel nothing at all

You could argue that he contributed less to their overall performance than Richarlison did to ours. They clearly had a better squad and a better run club top to bottom than we have. 

(side note he played less than 45mins in a bunch of those games)

53 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

Funnily enough, it made me feel nothing at all

You could argue that he contributed less to their overall performance than Richarlison did to ours. They clearly had a better squad and a better run club top to bottom than we have. 

(side note he played less than 45mins in a bunch of those games)

And yet he’s still better than what we have available right now, and about the level of what we can attract. 

Just now, Goodison Glory said:

That's a better argument than he played for a side above us 😃

Well him being better than what we have is my opinion. Him playing almost all season for the 9th best team in the league last season is just a fact. I always prefer facts to opinions myself. 

I’ve always thought of him as a very creative and dangerous player. 
Not a target man type, but more of a skilful technical forward. The type Man City have played for a number of years…. Not on their level obviously.

Not sure it’s our priority over a proper striker, but still a position we lack.

12 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’ve always thought of him as a very creative and dangerous player. 
Not a target man type, but more of a skilful technical forward. The type Man City have played for a number of years…. Not on their level obviously.

Not sure it’s our priority over a proper striker, but still a position we lack.

Never took him as a technical player, he succeeds through brute force and effort from memory. Reminds me of the Newcastle lad Almerion (sp?)

On 16/08/2022 at 21:01, Aidan said:

Finishing is questionable, but I really like him as a player and think he'd have a role to play in backing up Dom, or even playing in a wider position. He's an absolute handful, defenders must hate playing against him, goalkeepers not so much. The perfect back up striker for our level, if he'd be willing to accept the role.

The GK bit made me laugh out loud! 

I think he is a good player for the team. He can get you up the pitch. He isn't flash or fancy but he is effective and technically decent. 

My concern is that Brighton have created a lot of chances that he has failed to put away and it has cost them points. What you gain for the team, you lose by him not finishing chances off. 

I would be less worried if we had more goals in the rest of the team. He would be a bit of Firminho type player for us but we don't have anyone else that can chip in with the goals we need so our striker needs to put away any chances they get!