IGNORED

Neal Maupay

c1982

41 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Just been browsing a Brighton forum to see what they think and they've quoted you on there and said...

"This one has hit the nail on the head though for me, and why I will miss Neal"

They didn’t ask me before taking it… bloody scavenging seagulls!!!

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Pleased and quietly excited. He could be what Naismith was to Lukaku; annoying, chasing everything, creating space, chipping in with important goals and freeing up DCL to use his speed and energy to get more. More a CF than a striker and we need that. 

Had the same thought.

I think he will be a very good signing for us.

A bit of attitude and character about him and not coming here as a gamble as some sort of fading star or via a club looking to offload their unwanted baggage.

I like our recruitment so far this summer, there seems to be much more focus and thought on the characters and attitude of the players we are bringing in.

I had a look on some of the Brighton forums and, on the whole, they will be sad to see him go. A few also think he will become a fan favourite here. They do also say that he brings far less to the team than Welbeck does.

Although the depressing thing is that they feel they have outgrown Maupay, which highlights how far we have fallen in recent years. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I’m really finding it hard to understand why people think this is a bad signing. He seems just the right type of player to fit into Franks team. 
We’re trying to change the mentality of the team from soft approach to battling and pressing. 

Seems we need to change the fans mentality as well.

People can think he's not a signing that makes them feel great without having a mentality that needs to be changed. I think the vast majority of us like what we are seeing at the club - the change in character, the more judicious approach to contracts, the sync between lamps and KT and many more changes. 

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I had a look on some of the Brighton forums and, on the whole, they will be sad to see him go. A few also think he will become a fan favourite here. They do also say that he brings far less to the team than Welbeck does.

Although the depressing thing is that they feel they have outgrown Maupay, which highlights how far we have fallen in recent years. 

Maupay is not our first choice, he is back up to DCL who is way better then Wellbeck. 

Maupay is way better than Rondon, that is who he is replacing. 

18 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Maupay is not our first choice, he is back up to DCL who is way better then Wellbeck. 

Maupay is way better than Rondon, that is who he is replacing. 

Thats a very valid opinion but you don't know that for fact (apart from the bit about Rondon! 🤣).

There is a very strong possibility that Maupay plays a good chunk of games for us this season, whereas he seemed 3rd or 4th choice at Brighton (based on their forums). 

He needs to be doing a regular first team job for us.

I also didnt realise he was on the last year of his contract which puts the fee into a bit more perspective. 

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

People can think he's not a signing that makes them feel great without having a mentality that needs to be changed. I think the vast majority of us like what we are seeing at the club - the change in character, the more judicious approach to contracts, the sync between lamps and KT and many more changes. 

I mean more that our fans seem to have been served this slow soft approach for so long, that a change in direction seems hard to grasp for some fans.

This signing is the type of player, if not exactly the right person that we should be looking at.

The only advantage to having Maupay right now is he is hopefully better than Rondon and Gordon up front, I will be very surprised if he becomes an integral part of the team in the next couple of years, it’s a shame we couldn’t get him on a season long loan, I can’t see him being around next season he will probably be another loaned out with us contributing to his wages, but I fully understand the need of getting someone in now and beggars can’t be choices, we’ve once again left it to late in getting a viable replacement for Richarlison for what ever reason, which is probably out of the control of the management team. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

We are miles behind Brighton, sadly. Not even close.