IGNORED

Ainsley Maitland-Niles

We know Kenny is not the answer. We don't know if Maitland-Niles is. On a free that's enough for me to say go for it. 

We put our eggs in the Dumfries basket and I genuinely believe we were very close to finishing the deal before his agent (as any good agent would) told him to hold off until after the Euros to see what else might be out there. The what else turned out to be Inter and we were left at the altar. I want a new RB (love Seamus but it's time for him to be the cover) as much as anyone.

Here's where I think I differ from most: I feel the overwhelming consensus is clubs should have a scouting list at least 5-6 names deep at every position. I've never subscribed to that. The fact is the premier league requires a standard most professional footballers can't handle and we need players who make us better and we're already a top half side (believe it or not) so I'm glad we're sticking to our first choice in terms of spending big money on a transfer. Some of our recent big signings were our top targets (and it turns out Walsh was largely terrible at spending big money) but my recollection is names like Ashley Williams, Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Klaasen, Tosun, and Iwobi were all 'panic' buys after we missed on other targets, and they ended costing us more than just the transfer fee and wage. 

Taking a few chances on loans leads to a more sustainable club in the long-term. It appears we're going to need a RB next year so selling Kenny and paying nothing for Maitland-Niles gets us started towards that goal. 

40 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Arsenal’s 4th choice right back who’s been their best right back since Bellerin’s injury - probably why he’s so pissed off.

There is something to be said for bringing in hungry players with something to prove. Gray is a good example of that. Of course we all want top end talent but in the interim I like how we seem to be going about our business given the restrictions. What it will also mean is that bringing in 3/4 cheap guys will give us more room to operate when we do go for the next Richarlison type.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Arteta is doing us a favor, he’s not good enough.  Pete is right might as well just roll with Kenny if we are going for this caliber of player.

Not in my opinion, Maitland Niles has an England cap.  Widely recognised as arsenal's best full back. 

Kenny? Not for me.  Not good enough. 

On 28/08/2021 at 01:17, markjazzbassist said:

Hell no, stop buying arenals overrated overhyped English boys.  Fuck sake no more trash

Why does English have anything to do with it? 

Anyway, Deelightful puns lads. I've been Avon a hard time keeping track of how many we've had, definitely passed Severn now though. 

From a West Brom forum (same poster):

I think I’ve seen enough of AMN in midfield now to offer a balanced judgement.

For me, he’s not and never will be a central midfielder despite the energy and athleticism that he has brought to the side.

He’s a useful asset in there against sides who will manoeuvre the ball around but he does not have enough in his locker going forwards to nail that position. He doesn’t impose himself on the game and nor does he have any effect on it either.

More frustratingly we’ve shunted our best player out wide to accommodate him.

His best games for us have been where he’s played in a wider role.

I think he needs a dose of reality that he’s a better right back/ right midfielder than a central midfielder. Sooner he realises that the better.

Brilliant performance. Great energy, tenacious and ran the show.

Have to agree with this - two very good performances.

The deeper role suits him as opposed to playing further up the pitch.

I have been critical of him but he is going the right way of proving me wrong.

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Since when has he been regarded as Arsenal's best full back?  

Check their forums. Check Twitter.  

Arteta it seems is a prize idiot.  He is far better than Chambers but Arteta doesn't like being challenged, under Emery this kid looked the business.