IGNORED

QPR (Away) 21st September

Btay

Need to bounce back and get some momentum. Tricky away tie, these teams have to be respected or you’ll find yourself out of the cup however lots of injuries for us at the moment.

Really struggling to put together a team for this.

Begovic 

Holgate   Keane   Godfrey 

Davies    Gomes 

Iwobi              James             Gordon

Rondon         Gray 

3 at the back hasn’t been great but we have no real LB back up and Kenny is bang average. Doubt James will even be in the squad. Gbamin, who knows? 

Begovic 

Kenny Holgate Mina Godfrey 

Townsend Davies Gbamin Gray

James

Rondon

Be half tempted to give Iwobi a go up front. He's got the skill to hold up the ball or turn his man one on one. His heading ability won't be close to DCL though so we'd have to play it more on the floor.

• Romey 1878 changed the title to QPR (Away) 21st September

Times are hard, could give Lonergan a go in goal!  Amazed quite how many teams he's bounced around mostly as reserve and never playing in the last 15 years!

I'd like to see Digne rested but not sure we can really

Begovic

Kenny   Holgate  Godfrey   Digne  

Davies  Gbamin  Gomes

Iwobi             Rondon         Gordon

If James is fit and up for playing then he should definitely play.

Would be good to see Simms get a run out but expect Rondon will get the start as needs the minutes on the pitch at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm surprised no one's gone the whole hog and put the turd Tosun in their teams seeing as he's back in training.

And James isn't even in the country, so quite how anyone thinks he's a possibility is ridiculous.

Didn’t even know he was out of the country 

4 hours ago, London Blue said:

Begonia

Holgate  Kean Braithwaite Godfrey 

Davies, Gomes, Gambin

Iwobi            Rondon       James

Rest the midfield and wide players.

Must control the midfield. 

I agree that we desperately need to control midfield. I watched a little of QPR a few games ago and they looked dangerous, better than Huddersfield anyway.

I think we need to play a strong team in this game. A cup run would be great for the club, let alone the fact that this is the easiest chance of silverware that we will get!

I would go with:

----------Begovic

Kenny - Mina - Godfrey - Digne

----------- Allan

--------Gomes--Doucoure

Townsend---Rondon---Iwobi

Gray is our most potent player at the moment and Townsend might need a rest so those two could swap around but I would just prefer Iwobi from the left.

I don't think we can take any chances in midfield. Gbamin looks like he is out again, Davies isn't my cup of tea so that leaves Gomes as the third man rather than a number 10.

At the back, I think Godfrey needs games and Mina is our most consistent defender. Chuck them together with Kenny (ideally I wouldn't but we don't have much choice) and Digne. My only concern with Mina is his injury record. Can he play 3 times a week?

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think we need to play a strong team in this game. A cup run would be great for the club, let alone the fact that this is the easiest chance of silverware that we will get!

I would go with:

----------Begovic

Kenny - Mina - Godfrey - Digne

----------- Allan

--------Gomes--Doucoure

Townsend---Rondon---Iwobi

Gray is our most potent player at the moment and Townsend might need a rest so those two could swap around but I would just prefer Iwobi from the left.

I don't think we can take any chances in midfield. Gbamin looks like he is out again, Davies isn't my cup of tea so that leaves Gomes as the third man rather than a number 10.

At the back, I think Godfrey needs games and Mina is our most consistent defender. Chuck them together with Kenny (ideally I wouldn't but we don't have much choice) and Digne. My only concern with Mina is his injury record. Can he play 3 times a week?

I would go with that as well. Would not complain if Benitez puts Gbmin or Davies in ahead of Allan - just to get in game time and so Allan doesn't play 3 time in a week. 

13 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Is this game being broadcast anywhere, I paid for the Carabao fed last season, it kept freezing and logging out, missed every goal on the West Ham game, so an alternative would be nice.

Get on Hesgoal. Normally has all our matches on. Bet 365 are streaming it aslong as you have a bet on the match 

Begovic 

Holgate  Godfrey  Braithwaite

Davies    Gomes 

Kenny            Iwobi           Gordon

Rondon       Simms

Cup runs are great but more injuries before the international break could really have long term effect on the season. Man City has won the last four in a row and six of the last eight.  The big teams take it seriously regardless of the perception that they do not.  Would rather see Townsend, Gray, and Doucs rested / be impact subs if needed.  Some folks might opt to start strong but if it proves to be a tough game (which it probably will) would rather have some firepower on the bench.  If we were down and only had Gordon, Kenny, and Simms to bring on, I would be worried.

1 minute ago, plaidharper said:

Begovic 

Holgate  Godfrey  Braithwaite

Davies    Gomes 

Kenny            Iwobi           Gordon

Rondon       Simms

Cup runs are great but more injuries before the international break could really have long term effect on the season. Man City has won the last four in a row and six of the last eight.  The big teams take it seriously regardless of the perception that they do not.  Would rather see Townsend, Gray, and Doucs rested / be impact subs if needed.  Some folks might opt to start strong but if it proves to be a tough game (which it probably will) would rather have some firepower on the bench.  If we were down and only had Gordon, Kenny, and Simms to bring on, I would be worried.

Plus Keane and Digne could use a rest to get their heads straight / prepare for Norwich.

Lots of hope in my post here.  Some of you will find it more hopeless than hopeful.

I hope for a starting lineup of mostly squad players.  Will hope such a squad of squad guys will show energy from the opening whistle, never stop running, press, opportunity to show Benitez what they offer.

Begovic

Kenny    Holgate    Branthwaite    Digne (c)

Iwobi         Davies         Gomes       Gordon

Simms        Rondón

Bench — Lonergan, Keane, Mina, Godfrey, Allan, Doucouré, Gray, Townsend

Doubt Rondón should be asked to go more than 60 minutes, so push Iwobi or Gordon up in 2d half, bring on Gray.  Not confident Gomes can last the full 95, either.

Should anyone disagree — Ha! — I hope you’ll be constructively critical, not vicious.

Mate.

Happy with these starters, and happy to accept Benitez’s 2 friendly amendments to my hopeful post above.  Now I’ll hope we’re up 0-2 on 60 minutes, when Simms can replace Rondón.  Then at 70, Townsend out for an extra defender, who nets a corner header for 0-3.  Then at 80, Gomes replaced by Allan or Doucouré.  Piece of cake, Bob’s your uncle, give us a biscuit.

6 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Gomes & Davies in the centre of the park 🥺😩

A reasonable fear.

11 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Was not too far off with my line up. (had branthwaite and simms in instead of digne and townsend).  Figured Rafa would revert back to the back 3 like last cup game but looks like it will be 442 or 433 which is more positive. 

COYBS.

Yes, please, 4-4-2.  And because of dmim’s reasonable fear, Davies has to stay back, generally because Gomes is the offensive threat but defensive liability, and specifically when Digne bursts forward.

8 minutes ago, RPG said:

I see it more as a 4-2-3-1 with both Davies and Gomes ahead of the back four. Three in front of them, Townsend, Iwobi, Gordon and Rondon up front.

Or 4-3-3 with Townsend and Gordon wide, Iwobi central or maybe even as a 10 with Davies and Gomes flanking him

8 minutes ago, RPG said:

I see it more as a 4-2-3-1 with both Davies and Gomes ahead of the back four. Three in front of them, Townsend, Iwobi, Gordon and Rondon up front.

Hope not, as Gomes, who is very good at protecting the ball at his feet and providing some clever, accurate passes, is no DCM.  Whether it’s 4-4-2, 4-3-3, or 4-1-4-1, Gomes has to be moving forward, not staying back.