IGNORED

Spurs (Home) 7th November

dunlopp9987

I have no idea how this is going to go. 

Spurs have a decent squad without having a particularly good midfield and if Conte can work around that and get a tune out of that front 3/4 they could be a really dangerous side again. 

I don't know whether it is better to play them now or in a few weeks time. Probably now if I am honest.

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I have no idea how this is going to go. 

Spurs have a decent squad without having a particularly good midfield and if Conte can work around that and get a tune out of that front 3/4 they could be a really dangerous side again. 

I don't know whether it is better to play them now or in a few weeks time. Probably now if I am honest.

They’ll definitely be thinking it’s a great time to be playing us now. Any team we come up against must think the same thing. 

They will be running around like crazy to impress Conte. I can’t see us getting anything from this if we play like we have the last few games. If we are going to set up for the counter I just hope we pack the midfield because without Doucoure there isn’t enough energy in there to protect our shithouse back 4. 

Can’t believe I’m saying this but Delph deserves a start. There’s a lot of question marks over the team below

Pickford 

Coleman   Mina*   Holgate     Digne*

Allan      Gbamin    Delph

Townsend**                             Gray 

Richarlison 

* Hopefully fit. **Happy for Gordon to start but not sure we could drop Townsend or Gray right now. 
Gbamin I want to see in a midfield that isn’t completely out numbered and if Gomes is fit I’m not sure if he is ready to go straight in. 

Bench - Begovic, Kenny, Godfrey, Keane, Gomes, Davies, Gordon, Iwobi, Rondon or Tosun (both offer fuck all really)

Not sure I have faith in Gbamin to kick a ball.  So maybe this

Pickford 

Coleman   Mina    Holgate     Digne

Allan       Delph        Davies

Townsend                              Gray 

Richarlison 

Or maybe this

Pickford 

Coleman   Mina    Holgate     Digne

Townsend     Delph        Allan

Gordon          Gray 

Richarlison 

•  

• Everton have won just one of their past 17 Premier League games against Tottenham, beating them 1-0 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September last season.

• After losing three consecutive Premier League away games against Everton between January 2011 and December 2012, Spurs are unbeaten in their past eight league visits to Goodison Park.

• The Blues have been beaten nine times at home in the league in 2021. They have only ever lost 10 in a calendar year on three previous occasions - 1929, 1958 and 1993.

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:
  • Everton have won just one of their past 17 Premier League games against Tottenham, beating them 1-0 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September last season.

• After losing three consecutive Premier League away games against Everton between January 2011 and December 2012, Spurs are unbeaten in their past eight league visits to Goodison Park.

• The Blues have been beaten nine times at home in the league in 2021. They have only ever lost 10 in a calendar year on three previous occasions - 1929, 1958 and 1993.

Last two games history was heavily in our favour and how did that pan out? In a way we're better off having games we'd likely lose even with a strong team out to get them out of the way. Hard medicine to swallow but possibly a blessing in disguise.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Last two games history was heavily in our favour and how did that pan out? In a way we're better off having games we'd likely lose even with a strong team out to get them out of the way. Hard medicine to swallow but possibly a blessing in disguise.

But we have got 4 games out of the way that we should have won or at least got a point from.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

But we have got 4 games out of the way that we should have won or at least got a point from.

I know, my point is that we'd have been better off losing to teams like City, Liverpool and Chelsea in that period so we had "easier" matches when we have a stronger squad; it's purely hypothetical of course.

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

I know, my point is that we'd have been better off losing to teams like City, Liverpool and Chelsea in that period so we had "easier" matches when we have a stronger squad; it's purely hypothetical of course.

It’s a sad reality but we aren’t competing to be top 3 so dropping points to them ( as teams we are competing with would most likely do the same ) doesn’t hurt as much as the last 3

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

I think that the last 5-6 years have changed that much that the equation you used which use to be nailed on has gone completely out of the window, more than ever before we are seeing on a regular basis that 16-17 teams are capable of beating each other on any given day. We are in that 16-17 team’s and should not be surprised when get beat by the likes of Wolves or Villa on another day it could so easily be the opposite. I don’t like losing to anyone but have resigned myself to the future that we are not going to get into the top 3-4 anytime soon, so I have to accept that there are 15-16 teams around us that are more than capable of beating us and 3-4 that are nearly guaranteed to beat us. Shit maybe but reality all the same, remember the old term being used best of the rest it was used on us for quite a while, we don’t here that being used anymore because we are all the best of the rest if you get my drift. 

On 05/11/2021 at 06:47, Palfy said:

I think that the last 5-6 years have changed that much that the equation you used which use to be nailed on has gone completely out of the window, more than ever before we are seeing on a regular basis that 16-17 teams are capable of beating each other on any given day. We are in that 16-17 team’s and should not be surprised when get beat by the likes of Wolves or Villa on another day it could so easily be the opposite. I don’t like losing to anyone but have resigned myself to the future that we are not going to get into the top 3-4 anytime soon, so I have to accept that there are 15-16 teams around us that are more than capable of beating us and 3-4 that are nearly guaranteed to beat us. Shit maybe but reality all the same, remember the old term being used best of the rest it was used on us for quite a while, we don’t here that being used anymore because we are all the best of the rest if you get my drift. 

spot on - there are very few 'easy' games in the prem league - quite a bit of 'snobbery'  thinking we should expecting to win this game or that game. Not a massive difference in quality between ours and Wolves squad - so to me last game was a very tough fixture for us to get anything with a depleted squad, I imagine the non-bias booking has wolves odds on to win. 

On any day we can beat Spurs at home, but equally they have a good enough squad to turn us over. Another tough game for a depleted squad. 

This is why I am resounded to let this season just pan out. Benetez has not been here anywhere near long enough to build a 'team', so we are not going to have the stability that a long term manager brings to developing a 'team'. This is what is needed to climb this league table.

Optimistic we can pick up the points if we play well. 

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

spot on - there are very few 'easy' games in the prem league - quite a bit of 'snobbery'  thinking we should expecting to win this game or that game. Not a massive difference in quality between ours and Wolves squad - so to me last game was a very tough fixture for us to get anything with a depleted squad, I imagine the non-bias booking has wolves odds on to win. 

On any day we can beat Spurs at home, but equally they have a good enough squad to turn us over. Another tough game for a depleted squad. 

This is why I am resounded to let this season just pan out. Benetez has not been here anywhere near long enough to build a 'team', so we are not going to have the stability that a long term manager brings to developing a 'team'. This is what is needed to climb this league table.

👏👏👏

7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I agree that there are no easy games. Even worse squads have capable managers. The game is so much more tactical than it has ever been. I think Pep called it the most defensive league he has managed in, and he is right. It is difficult to score goals at the best of times and bad footballers can be well organised. 

I think the majority of Evertonians accept where we are now. The issue was that we didn't just get beaten by Wolves. That first half was a disgrace and isn't acceptable. The second half was much more even and could have gone either way. It didn't have anything to do with who we had missing, it was to do with the instructions they were given from the first whistle. 

Referring back to one of the other threads I have quoted you on, the injured players coming into that first half performance wouldn't have really changed much IMO. The injured players coming into that second half performance would have. 

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I can never remember this, but this is a question for my US mates (although maybe you guys across the way might know). If the game is scheduled for kickoff at 8am CST right now, but daylights savings ends tomorrow, is it starting at 9am then? Or is the 8am kickoff already with DST factored in?

I think it’s 9 EST/8CST.  The normal NBCSN times for Sat were an hour different, as Europe changed their clocks already (I think). But as we change our clocks tonight/overnight, we’re back to normal Sun morn times in US, 9 and 11:30 EST, 8 and 10:30 CST.

I’m in Eastern time zone.  My DirecTV on-screen guide says Everton-Spurs is 9 Sun morn.

Hope I don’t mess this up.

I would hope for the following...

Pickford 

Coleman   Mina    Welch     Digne

Gordon     Allan      Davies

Townsend     Gray 

Richarlison 

What I fear is...

Pickford 

Coleman   Godfrey    Keane     Digne

Townsend     Allan        Delph

Iwobi            Gray 

Richarlison 

I think what we will get is. 

Pickford.

Coleman.    Holgate.     Keane.   Godfrey. 

Allan.           Delph. 

Townsend.     Gray.      Gordon. 

Richarlison. 

Or Townsend swapping to the left and Iwobi taking the right. Anyway every set up I’ve seen is weak, with 4 first teamers  out and not credible player to replace any of them Benitez is in for a rough time, I fear his detractors will be out in force. 

32 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think what we will get is. 

Pickford.

Coleman.    Holgate.     Keane.   Godfrey. 

Allan.           Delph. 

Townsend.     Gray.      Gordon. 

Richarlison. 

Or Townsend swapping to the left and Iwobi taking the right. Anyway every set up I’ve seen is weak, with 4 first teamers  out and not credible player to replace any of them Benitez is in for a rough time, I fear his detractors will be out in force. 

Digne will be back. He might not be in the best form but he's miles better as a LB than Godfrey, as was shown in our last game, so I'm glad about that.

I'd be quite happy with the rest of the side but can't see Gordon getting a start, even if he deserves it.