IGNORED

Aston Villa (home) January 22

Cornish Steve

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I agree Gray is better on the right over the 90mins, it more because Digne is likely to be pumped for this game, so giving him Gray to deal with early on might get him in the book early doors. Goodison will be rocking, so it should be an intense atmosphere.  

Coleman should know Digne's game a lot better than Patterson (or any other right back in the league), so would definitely be starting him. 

It was only last week a lot of people on here were writing him off as a has been and now all of a sudden we have to be that worried about him we change our own offensive plans to contain him?

He is clearly one of a number of threats in their team but it just feels a little OTT for me. 

If the attacking plan is for Gray to play right to suit us then great. If not, then its a no from me.

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It was only last week a lot of people on here were writing him off as a has been and now all of a sudden we have to be that worried about him we change our own offensive plans to contain him?

He is clearly one of a number of threats in their team but it just feels a little OTT for me. 

If the attacking plan is for Gray to play right to suit us then great. If not, then its a no from me.

For me Richarlison and Gray both play best on the left. But they both need to play. I think Gray will be more effective on the right than Richarlison. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Think you will fined I said he will probably have a cracking first season with Villa, much like he did when he first came here. 

Point being made is he is returning so soon and might perhaps be a little bit overly pumped up himself given what the atmosphere might be like on Saturday. So why not give him something particular difficult to dealt with for the first 20mins. If there is a chance to draw a couple of rash challenges out of him early in the game, then why not have a bit of a probe early door. An early booking for Digne wouldn't do us any harm for the rest of the game. 

Not suggesting that our whole game plan should hinge around Digne, but lets not left him have any sort of easy ride on such an early return to Goodison Park. 

On 18/01/2022 at 19:59, milesey05 said:

I think 442 too- Dunc kept this simple formation last time and it worked.

I would go.

Pickford 

Patterson    Mina Godfrey Mykolenko

Gordon.       Allan.   Doucs.    Gray 

Richie.  DCL

This but with Coleman instead of Patterson.  I think Ferguson will want that experienced leader who has Coleman's spirit in a game where he's looking to see a real passionate performance.

Fully expect Coleman to wipe out Digne

Looks like Allan is a doubt at the moment, Ferguson said he was still struggling, it was believed to be Covid but not sure.  didn't spot him in training.

Not sure who replaces him, Delph wasn't in the last match day squad, unless Dunc feels differently to Rafa then I don't see Gbamin starting either.  Gomes can start though that does leave us a bit short on defensive minded mids.

Pickford.

Patterson.    Mina.       Godfrey.    Myko.    

Townsend.   Doucoure.   Alan.   Gordon.  

Richarlison.   Gray. 

Probably won’t go down well with most but I would have DCL on the bench, he hasn’t looked himself since returning from injury I’ve been rather underwhelmed with some of his performance’s which tells me he isn’t fully fit yet and we shouldn’t be flogging him. So this could be a good alternative. 

54 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Pickford.

Patterson.    Mina.       Godfrey.    Myko.    

Townsend.   Doucoure.   Alan.   Gordon.  

Richarlison.   Gray. 

Probably won’t go down well with most but I would have DCL on the bench, he hasn’t looked himself since returning from injury I’ve been rather underwhelmed with some of his performance’s which tells me he isn’t fully fit yet and we shouldn’t be flogging him. So this could be a good alternative. 

You're right: It won't go down well. :)

Having read comments, I would adjust my starting lineup.

Pickford

Patterson Mina Keane Godfrey

Gordon Allan Doucoure Gray

Richarlison DC-L

On 20/01/2022 at 09:09, StevO said:

For me Richarlison and Gray both play best on the left. But they both need to play. I think Gray will be more effective on the right than Richarlison. 

I’d adjust my line up to have Gray on the right as well. Gray is the exact kind of winger Digne struggles against so we need to get him 1v1 against him as much as possible or exploit the space he leaves behind when going forward.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

I’d adjust my line up to have Gray on the right as well. Gray is the exact kind of winger Digne struggles against so we need to get him 1v1 against him as much as possible or exploit the space he leaves behind when going forward.

Good shout, we were all complaining about Dignes poor defending, so let’s really target him as we should know his weakness more than any other club, make him look average at best, and put the spat with FSW behind us.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Personally think Kenny could still come good, just be a late bloomer. 

I’d love him to, but he’s 25 in a couple of months and we’ve just invested in a new player in his position. I don’t see him getting a new contract. Hopefully we got plenty of money for his loans. 

Pickford

Coleman Mina Keane Godfrey

Gray Doucoure Allan Gordon

Richarlison DCL

If Ferguson wants to go for the "most arsed" XI like he suggested in his press conference, this is probably it. Maybe a slight variation in formation but I'm pretty sure Dunc reverted to 442 last time he was the boss, although that was against 3 of the 'top 6' teams so maybe it'll be different.