IGNORED

Conor Gallagher

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Where did you get £50m from and what makes you think we have anywhere near that?

read it in an article, and to me seem to be around a reasonable for an in demand Gallagher. What value do you have him at?

I don't know if we have £50m or not, however I am guessing we have something to spend if there is talk of +£25M players. We have sold a valuable asset and being in the PL is actually fairly lucrative every season with TV money etc - so each season coffers are actually replenished quite significantly. I would make an educated guess that at a push we could muster £30-50M depending on how deals are structured, and the wages of the players coming in. I doubt it would be more that £50M. 

What I am trying to say is IF we buy Gallagher for his going rate, and we can scrap the finances together then it is likely to take every penny we have in the transfer kitty.  

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

read it in an article, and to me seem to be around a reasonable for an in demand Gallagher. What value do you have him at?

I don't know if we have £50m or not, however I am guessing we have something to spend if there is talk of +£25M players. We have sold a valuable asset and being in the PL is actually fairly lucrative every season with TV money etc - so each season coffers are actually replenished quite significantly. I would make an educated guess that at a push we could muster £30-50M depending on how deals are structured, and the wages of the players coming in. I doubt it would be more that £50M. 

What I am trying to say is IF we buy Gallagher for his going rate, and we can scrap the finances together then it is likely to take every penny we have in the transfer kitty.  

Rob, we can actually afford any player we want. We could afford an £80m player tomorrow if we wanted them.

This FFP in the PL is a load of bollocks. If your owner has the money you should be able to spend as much as you like and lose as much as you are able to. It is nothing but a vehicle to stop clubs from competing and upsetting the apple cart. They're terrified of more City's and Chelsea's popping up, which is why they'll do all they can to limit Newcastle's bottomless wealth now.

9 hours ago, RPG said:

I have to agree. It's 2 weeks to the start of the season and we are still not sure if it is a back three or a back four and who our starting centre backs are.

I am a bit shocked to see we only have two more games to go as well. 

Most sides seem to have prepared a 6 game schedule and we have 4. I would have expected that it would be a high priority for management to get as much game time into them as possible given it is still a new management team.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Most sides seem to have prepared a 6 game schedule and we have 4. I would have expected that it would be a high priority for management to get as much game time into them as possible given it is still a new management team.

And we started a week or so after most clubs as well.

Everton, always prepared.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Rob, we can actually afford any player we want. We could afford an £80m player tomorrow if we wanted them.

This FFP in the PL is a load of bollocks. If your owner has the money you should be able to spend as much as you like and lose as much as you are able to. It is nothing but a vehicle to stop clubs from competing and upsetting the apple cart. They're terrified of more City's and Chelsea's popping up, which is why they'll do all they can to limit Newcastle's bottomless wealth now.

Especially as sanctions against the 'big' clubs don't work. Too many clever lawyers. Clubs like City and PSG sponsor themselves which is a neat way of increasing revenue and avoiding FFP. A total farce.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Exactly this! If City, Chelsea, Newcastle and even Everton (pre Russia Ukraine) all spent what they wanted it would make it harder for the media darlings. They don’t want that!

41 minutes ago, Formby said:

Especially as sanctions against the 'big' clubs don't work. Too many clever lawyers. Clubs like City and PSG sponsor themselves which is a neat way of increasing revenue and avoiding FFP. A total farce.

Everton did the same with USM and Megafon. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

Disgusting. De jong should take them to court.   

I’ve been hearing that one of the reasons he’s not made the move to United is because he thinks if he goes Barcelona will be able to get out of paying him what they own. It’s an absolute farce. No doubt there will be many unpaid players in that squad. 

35 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Aren’t Barcelona supposed to be skint yet are buying players? It is a complete farce. 

Barca sold 10% of their TV rights for 230M (for the next 25yrs...talk about mortgaging your future) They were also looking to sell 49% of merchandising rights.

So they were in the shit but found a way out. 

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

I reckon they are trying to keep morale up,as much as possible, losing 4 preseason games will be bad enough but losing 7 or 8 will totally destroy confidence again 

30 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I reckon they are trying to keep morale up,as much as possible, losing 4 preseason games will be bad enough but losing 7 or 8 will totally destroy confidence again 

That sounds like one of those things you say trying to be funny and sarcastic, and then realise how true it probably is. 😪

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I fully agree FFP is totally wrong, it's basically changing the 'rules'. Clubs like ours have a near impossible task get in to the so called top 6. Year on year its becoming an ever more closed shop. Difficult not to get disheartend by it all.

52 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I fully agree FFP is totally wrong, it's basically changing the 'rules'. Clubs like ours have a near impossible task get in to the so called top 6. Year on year its becoming an ever more closed shop. Difficult not to get disheartend by it all.

This is a much larger discussion but if you allowed clubs to spend whatever they wanted you’d get an even wider gap between the top clubs and those at the bottom. Teams that are at the top would simply buy titles even more than is the case now. Do you really want a club to get bought and then the next year they are Man City due to the wealth of their owner?

6 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

This is a much larger discussion but if you allowed clubs to spend whatever they wanted you’d get an even wider gap between the top clubs and those at the bottom. Teams that are at the top would simply buy titles even more than is the case now. Do you really want a club to get bought and then the next year they are Man City due to the wealth of their owner?

If it’s us, then yes. Anyone else - no…

10 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

The clubs at the top do spend what they want. Whenever there is an issue with FFP it’s teams further down the pecking order, not those at the top. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Or he has a nightmare and they want rid 

Kante and Kovacic are injured so its only him and Jorginho left at the moment, although they have the young lad from Villa on the bench who I think is a midfielder.

Gallagher also looks very average for Chelsea as well. Very different way of playing compared to when he was at Palace and it doesn't suit him. Ironically because of the system we play, it probably wouldn't suit him here either.