IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

7 points in 4 matches (1.75 ppm) and then we only need 12 in 11 games (1.1 ppm)? Why are the following four matches so important?!

I do have to agree - 7 points from the next 4 games would go a long way to getting a lot of Evertonians off their meds. 

Two of those games are home games (I think everyone is thinking that are home games are going to be pivotal) and against teams that we would be hoping to get a result against (although neither of those games are gimmes) and the away games are against Arsenal and Forrest (I believe the thinking is that a point from these games is a reasonable expectation).

After that though,  I don't think the run of games we have until the final two games of the season (Wolves and Bournemounth) is an easy run by any stretch - Chelsea, Spurs, United (who seem to be coming on strong in the final straight), Fulham flying, away to Palace, then Newcastle who are also flying, then away games to Leicester and Brighton, as well as hosting Man City. 

11 points from those games - at this point in the season - as not as simple as it may seem - especially considering that our ppm the season is less than 1 ppm.

But I think @Goodison Glory has it right. Not getting 7 points from the next 7 games means there will be more than four weeks of very squeaky bum time, which I'm sure none of us really wants.

1 hour ago, Wall Writer said:

I do have to agree - 7 points from the next 4 games would go a long way to getting a lot of Evertonians off their meds.

But I think @Goodison Glory has it right. Not getting 7 points from the next 7 games means there will be more than four weeks of very squeaky bum time, which I'm sure none of us really wants.

I’m not entirely sure whether I’m agreeing or disagreeing with you and Goodison Glory.  Although I definitely agree that not getting 7 from 7 would be very bad, my position several posts above was that we really need 7 from the next 4, precisely because after the “7 points from the next 4 seems plausible,” we have 3 much tougher looking matches, Chelsea, ManU, and Spurs, with only Spurs at Goodison.

Were we to take, say, only 4 points from our next 4 matches, that’s not good, as it would require 3 points from Chelsea, ManU, and Spurs — just to get to the “bare minimum 7 from 7.”

We need points now, 7 from the next 4.

I hate looking at what possible points we have to come, and almost going into games thinking it's OK we can lose this one because we have so and so next week. This is Everton, it's pointless guessing who we're going to take points off. Let's just go into every game knowing that there's no game we can't come away with 3 points from, which in reality, there isn't. 

1-1 draw for wolves last night. For me they look too good to go down, however we need teams like wolves, forest, palace, Villa, Leicester to drop points no matter what.

Even with the likes of Leeds v Southampton, West Ham v forest, I want draws.  That means a point has disappeared from being awarded and it brings more teams into the pack.

with a few teams being in and around the uncertainty of survival you may start to see them go on losing runs and the chance of managers losing dressing rooms etc.   

I expect Everton to get better if we get a few points away from bottom 3, hopefully we will see less anxiety in front of goal etc. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

1-1 draw for wolves last night. For me they look too good to go down, however we need teams like wolves, forest, palace, Villa, Leicester to drop points no matter what.

Even with the likes of Leeds v Southampton, West Ham v forest, I want draws.  That means a point has disappeared from being awarded and it brings more teams into the pack.

with a few teams being in and around the uncertainty of survival you may start to see them go on losing runs and the chance of managers losing dressing rooms etc.   

I expect Everton to get better if we get a few points away from bottom 3, hopefully we will see less anxiety in front of goal etc. 

Several important issues here.

1. I look at last night’s result as bad, not good, for Everton.  I see Wolves as having picked up a point in an away match with a (surprisingly) top 6-7 team.  I’d hoped for Fulham to take 3 points.

2. Agree with Hafnia that I tend to prefer draws among (fellow) relegation teams when they play each other.  I don’t like relegation rivals each taking a point, but I like even less any of them taking 3 from any match.  Right now.  That can change as we move close to the end of the season, when we might desperately want Team X to pick up not a single point.

3. On anxiety in front of goal, I fear it’s less anxiety and more that we just don’t have goal scorers, period.  Our problem seems more straightforward lack of talent — can’t pull the trigger fast enough when in position to shoot, can’t put the ball on frame, period, not enough men in the box — than anxiety.  But I don’t mean to discount totally the anxiety factor, and agree that a couple of wins is psychologically and emotionally lifting.

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Definitely needed a win today no if's or buts, Mike it is mathematically out of our hands again with games slowly ebbing away😉

So you think relegation is a possibility if we finish with 63 points? Because that's what we mathematically can still get.

We obviously won't but you're not really understanding the concept here mate, it's totally still in our hands.

Always feels worse the next day doesn’t it.   

absolutely staring ourselves in the face what the issues were 12 months ago and the sale of Richie compounded the urgency of a bonafide goal threat. 

what has panicked me about yesterday is the fact that we played pretty well but we just didn’t get the set piece/freak goal that managed to give us a lead to protect and we lost 2-0.   It’s as if what we feared could happen hit us right in the face in the most brutal and cruel fashion. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Ok, World Cup accounts for 2 months. We've got 6 points from 4 games since the new manager came in. 

I hate these ignorant, fear mongering tweets. We have that's granted and the tweeted post was aimed at sensationalism, yet for me the content is pretty much spot on we have to be favourites for the drop due to our inability to finish off the chances we create. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Ok, World Cup accounts for 2 months. We've got 6 points from 4 games since the new manager came in. 

I hate these ignorant, fear mongering tweets. We have that's granted and the tweeted post was aimed at sensationalism, yet for me the content is pretty much spot on we have to be favourites for the drop due to our inability to finish off the chances we create. 

Expand  

Fuck knows what happened there Matt my post attached it self to yours, I'll put that down to short fat fingers syndrome. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Fuck knows what happened there Matt my post attached it self to yours, I'll put that down to short fat fingers syndrome. 

I guess your IQ test didn't have questions on post editing :P

We can't be favourites for the drop, we're not bottom. We are short of goals obviously but whether they come from open play or not is irrelevant. I don't care if the rest of them all come from corners, free kicks or penalties and none from open play, so long as they come and considering we have no real striker that's most likely where they'll come from.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I hate these ignorant, fear mongering tweets. 

Shared it to highlight our lack of goal threat.  Overall we have the lowest amount scored in the league.  Just struggling to see how we change that.  

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I guess your IQ test didn't have questions on post editing :P

We can't be favourites for the drop, we're not bottom. We are short of goals obviously but whether they come from open play or not is irrelevant. I don't care if the rest of them all come from corners, free kicks or penalties and none from open play, so long as they come and considering we have no real striker that's most likely where they'll come from.

Meant for the 18th position, we need to beat Forest if we lose that then our goose is well and truly cooked. We have 5 very difficult games after in Brentford, Chelsea, Spurs, United, and Fulham, if we don't beat Forest and get at least 4 points from the other 5, I think we may very well find ourselves cut off from the likes of Leeds and WHU after the Fulham game. The lack of goals and anyone capable of scoring on some sort of regular basis is going to be our downfall. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Meant for the 18th position, we need to beat Forest if we lose that then our goose is well and truly cooked. We have 5 very difficult games after in Brentford, Chelsea, Spurs, United, and Fulham, if we don't beat Forest and get at least 4 points from the other 5, I think we may very well find ourselves cut off from the likes of Leeds and WHU after the Fulham game. The lack of goals and anyone capable of scoring on some sort of regular basis is going to be our downfall. 

No it isn't. It'll be a setback.