IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

This thread is so far off topic (not necessarily a bad thing in these parts); but what in the hell has anybody else's results got to do with us getting to forty points? Square root of fuck all.

If people want a relegation comparison thread then start one, this should be all about us and how we hit the target, which is still 100% in our hands irrespective of how others do.

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

This thread is so far off topic (not necessarily a bad thing in these parts); but what in the hell has anybody else's results got to do with us getting to forty points? Square root of fuck all.

If people want a relegation comparison thread then start one, this should be all about us and how we hit the target, which is still 100% in our hands irrespective of how others do.

Because their results might mean we don’t need to get to 40 ! 😛

18 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

And there's one reason why we might well go down. Soton get a goal through a player they brought in during January

Im not sure what the optimal result is for us. Leicester win, Southampton stay a few points away from us. Southampton win, Leicester are in further danger of dropping into the bottom 3 in the following weeks. A draw might possibly be the best result, but I don't really mind what the outcome is.

Technically right now we are joint bottom - tomorrow is a must win game! Cos if we lose we all those other teams in the bottom three will have the same number of points and a game in hand - not a good situation to be in. 

Many results have gone for us today, so we need to capitalise on that this weekend. A win will see us jump to 16th, level with Leicester and just a point behind Forest.

A think this is such a must win game that I would be willing to risk DCL - perhaps even for the last 30 minutes. 

God! I've just realise I'm very nervous about this game! 😭

EDIT: Sorry Mike, I should probably have posted this in the match thread! 🙃 

I don’t think a draw is enough. We need to make our goal differential better as it could be a decision-maker come end of the season and we really should be beating teams like Nottingham Forest, even if it’s away from home, if we think we should be staying in the PL. 

And this is ToffeeTalk; staying consistent with whatever thread we’re on has never been a thing. I’m watching the other teams around us, because this a league in which other teams’ results affect our position! It’s mad not to think there is an influence there. No doubt Dyche is paying close attention too. 

1 minute ago, Sibdane said:

And this is ToffeeTalk; staying consistent with whatever thread we’re on has never been a thing. I’m watching the other teams around us, because this a league in which other teams’ results affect our position!

But they don't affect our points total, which is what this thread is supposed to be about....no mention of position in the title. I'm going to have to put the whole class in detention I think:P

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

But they don't affect our points total, which is what this thread is supposed to be about....no mention of position in the title. I'm going to have to put the whole class in detention I think:P

Like I said, when has a thread ever stayed on topic? 😂 

6 games played, 7 points from 18. That's more than I expected to be honest considering the Arsenal and Liverpool games. But it's also a third of our campaigns total points in 6 games. That's a testament to how bad we were before but also how things are slowly improving too. Maybe not so slow if you want to imagine how many points we would've got with Lampard. 40% wins so far, if we get 40% from the remaining 12 that's another what, 12-15 points. Not quite 40 points but it's the right direction.

Have a look at the fixtures for the teams around us…. West Ham seem to be in fancied to go down on the odds. I really think they are in trouble cos they are in disarray and we do have some cohesion.

if we won yesterday I would be very confident, I’m still reasonably optimistic but nervous obviously.

moyes seems to be trolling the West Ham fans, reminds me of allardyce. 

22 points from 26 matches leaves us at 32.15 points after 38 matches. 

Shite away 1 (0)
leeds home 3 (
3)
Villa home 3 (0)
Arsenal away 0 (0)
Forest away 1 (1)
brentford home 1
chelsea away 0
Spurs home 0
utd away 0
fulham home 3
Palace away 1
Newcastle home 0 
leicester away 1
Brighton away 0
city home 0 
wolves away 1
bournemouth home 3

Original projected points: 36 points
Current projected points: 32 points

5 hours ago, RPG said:

I think we may get a couple of points from the Chelsea, Spurs and Man U games but I am not so confident about the home games with Brentford, Fulham and Bournemouth. Brentford are on a charge and on a long unbeaten run. They will come to Goodison believing they can win and I think they will score so we need either DCL back and firing on all cylinders or Gray to play well up front. Fulham are slipping a bit and we might just get the win but I think a draw is more likely. Bournemouth is the last game of the season and they will either be already relegated (so no pressure) or fighting for their lives. Either way, I think it will be a difficult game for us. We need at least one 'unexpected' win, maybe Leicester away or Newcastle at home (which we should be really up for) if we are going to get anywhere near 38 points. But I do maintain that a record low points total is required for survival this season. That fills me with a little hope.

Record is West Brom with 34. Certainly hope you're right. 

8 hours ago, RPG said:

Bournemouth is the last game of the season and they will either be already relegated (so no pressure) or fighting for their lives. Either way, I think it will be a difficult game for us. 

That comment could equally apply to us unfortunately.

We also have Chelsea, Spurs, Utd and City and NCL so not much difference to West Ham's challenges.

38 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

That comment could equally apply to us unfortunately.

We also have Chelsea, Spurs, Utd and City and NCL so not much difference to West Ham's challenges.

If anything I think we have a very tough run, I struggle to see where the next 13-16 points are coming from. Forest proved again that if we don't make the most of our chances we will always drop points. 

2 hours ago, RPG said:

I have to agree with all these points.

We do, indeed, have some very tough fixtures and I think we will need at least one 'unexpected' win.

Dyche has certainly improved us but 7 points from 6 games means another 14 points from the remaining 12 games which leaves us on 36 points - tight but I think it might be enough.

I agree that Dyche is getting everything he can (and that Lampard couldn't) out of the players available to him and that no matter what happens. Dyche should remain as manager next season.

I read an article the other day which was pretty much saying, if Dyche keeps us up will we be happy or accept his brand of football next season. Which I felt was a very valid point, as Evertonian's we don't like to accept mediocre football that isn't free flowing or entertaining, we didn't like it from Allardyce and pretty much forced Moshiri to get rid of him, even though it could be argued he turned the team around measurably in league position. If we accept Dyche are we ditching our principles on how the game should be played, or has the reality of the last few years destroyed our footballing beliefs completely. If not then surely Dyche if he keeps us up will for many just be a short term fix and not the future.  

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I read an article the other day which was pretty much saying, if Dyche keeps us up will we be happy or accept his brand of football next season. Which I felt was a very valid point, as Evertonian's we don't like to accept mediocre football that isn't free flowing or entertaining, we didn't like it from Allardyce and pretty much forced Moshiri to get rid of him, even though it could be argued he turned the team around measurably in league position. If we accept Dyche are we ditching our principles on how the game should be played, or has the reality of the last few years destroyed our footballing beliefs completely. If not then surely Dyche if he keeps us up will for many just be a short term fix and not the future.  

As Evertonians we need to wake the fuck up and stop assuming we're entitled to Europe or the best players based on success nearly 30-40+ years ago or the money. We also have to accept that we prefer, in general, hardwork over flashy and that's not something that comes together very often. 

The fat twat didn't turn the season around, he was brought in because Moshiri panicked and did the bare minimum. As a fanbase, most didn't like him and you could see he revelled in it. 

Regardless of the outcome, we need to stick with Dyche. I think we can find a balance of gritty and pretty under him, he's a manager with a mentality that suits our club ethos.