IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

Gomes — I’ve supported him consistently, because he’s superb at ball control, usually a dependable passer, sometimes a brilliant passer.  But he’s way too slow to defend.  I don’t think it’s effort.  Opponents run past him, so we’re lucky if he doesn’t pick up a yellow in the first half.  He can only play well in the middle 50-60% of the pitch.

Especially with Allan out, Gomes cannot play in a 2-man midfield.  Has to be 3 in midfield, playing through Gomes as an ACM, but not depending on him to be a DCM.

Getting to 35 — Virtually no chance to get to 40, so it’s good news we won’t need to.  But it’s bad news we need to get to 35.

Biggest matches are away to Watford and Burnley, home to Brentford, Palace, Leicester.  If we lose to Burnley and Watford, just can’t see us staying up.  If we draw both of those, still very difficult, so we need 4 points from those 2 matches.

Maybe Gomes was so good because he had Gueye - the extremely well paid recruitment team probably should have seen this and recruited accordingly when the opportunity was there. In reality, we sold Gueye and bought Gomes, Gbamin and Delph in the same window - I actually think that window is on par with the Gylfi, Keane, Sandro splurge for getting us in this mess. If we’d got the 3 midfield signings right (plus Iwobi and Kean) then maybe we’d have fixed some of the Koeman damage.

My biggest worry is still having two games to fit into the schedule. On two occasions in February the premier league rearranged a bunch of fixtures, and didn’t include us. Now I don’t see where they can fit it in without making us play three games in five days. 

16 minutes ago, StevO said:

My biggest worry is still having two games to fit into the schedule. On two occasions in February the premier league rearranged a bunch of fixtures, and didn’t include us. Now I don’t see where they can fit it in without making us play three games in five days. 

Well we now have a spare Saturday the weekend of the semi-finals because we were due to play Palace at home then 

An international break isn't good. More time to focus on our dire position than try to be optimistic (?) for the upcoming game. I really don't think we can count on 100% effort from Richi or Dom, likely  want to be off in the summer. Pickford too but I think he will do his best. Those out of contract/loan won't give a shit which leaves it on the shoulders of Gordon, Godfrey, Gray, Branthwaite and hopefully Patterson gets a chance after the Scotland game. Allan and Doucs blow hot and cold. Mina a sicknote, Vitaliiy head understandably elsewhere. Coleman, Keane, Holgate and Kenny found wanting. Sorry state of affairs.

2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

An international break isn't good. More time to focus on our dire position than try to be optimistic (?) for the upcoming game. I really don't think we can count on 100% effort from Richi or Dom, likely  want to be off in the summer. Pickford too but I think he will do his best. Those out of contract/loan won't give a shit which leaves it on the shoulders of Gordon, Godfrey, Gray, Branthwaite and hopefully Patterson gets a chance after the Scotland game. Allan and Doucs blow hot and cold. Mina a sicknote, Vitaliiy head understandably elsewhere. Coleman, Keane, Holgate and Kenny found wanting. Sorry state of affairs.

Or its 2 weeks to get a shrink in, do basic drills and a lot of stamina building. You can do a lot in 2 week, just need to focus on the right things. Mentality, basics, engine. That's the foundation that needs rebuilding. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Or its 2 weeks to get a shrink in, do basic drills and a lot of stamina building. You can do a lot in 2 week, just need to focus on the right things. Mentality, basics, engine. That's the foundation that needs rebuilding. 

If only.... 

For about 8 days I mostly forgot about our situation. Now it's all I can think about again. We haven't won a league game away from home since bloody f***ing August. That's 9 losses and 2 draws on the trot, including to Brentford and Norwich, and we've been outscored 26-6. Bless all the supporters brave enough to go to West Ham and Burnley. True masochists. 

Beat Burnley and we just might catch Leeds or Brentford for 16th with our games in hand. 

6 hours ago, RPG said:

The important thing is to ensure that we don't lose at Burnley. A win would be great, a draw would be just about acceptable but a defeat would really leave us in serious trouble and give Burnley a genuine belief and confidence that they will catch us.

Given the run in we have I think anything other than a win would be disastrous 

Current status: 38 points

Brentford (H): 3 points
Burnley (A): 3 points
Leeds (H): 3 points (actual: 3 points)
Newcastle (H): 3 points (actual: 3 points)
Palace (H): 3 points
Watford (A): 3 points

Leicester (H): 1 point
Southampton (A): 1 point (actual: 0 points)
Wolves (H): 1 point (actual: 0 points)

Arsenal (A): 0 points
Chelsea (H): 0 points
Leicester (A): 0 points
Liverpool (A): 0 points
Man City (H): 0 points (actual: 0 points)
Man United (H): 0 points
Spurs (A): 0 points (actual: 0 points)
West Ham (A): 0 points (actual: 0 points)

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Current status: 38 points

Brentford (H): 3 points
Burnley (A): 3 points
Leeds (H): 3 points (actual: 3 points)
Newcastle (H): 3 points (actual: 3 points)
Palace (H): 3 points
Watford (A): 3 points

Leicester (H): 1 point
Southampton (A): 1 point (actual: 0 points)
Wolves (H): 1 point (actual: 0 points)

Arsenal (A): 0 points
Chelsea (H): 0 points
Leicester (A): 0 points
Liverpool (A): 0 points
Man City (H): 0 points (actual: 0 points)
Man United (H): 0 points
Spurs (A): 0 points (actual: 0 points)
West Ham (A): 0 points (actual: 0 points)

All I can see is another 10-12 points, 35 points will probably keep us up 37 will almost guarantee our place in PL next season, 34 and it will be down to goal difference and even 35 could be decided on goal difference, 33 and I think we are gone. 

The Burnley game is now a critical game for us, if we lose that Burnley Play Norwich at the weekend while we play Man Utd.  Come Sunday we could have dropped into the bottom three, 2 points behind Burnley with a load of shit games to come.

talksport well worth a listen right now, our fans are going berserk.  One wants lampard gone and DCL shouldn't play again....  previous one absolutely hates the players and wants to keep lampard - wants delph, dcl, alli booted out and kids played.

The players need to listen.... it would shake them up