IGNORED

Pre-season 2022/23

MikeO

Second half was much better in terms of organisation and application, but we really struggled to create chances throughout. That isn't a new problem and it's something that is only going to be solved, or at least improved, in the transfer market.

I hope something is well on the way to happening in that regard or the season is going to be one hard slog.

First game back against a team that ate i to their third ore season game. 
We did ok.

We do competed in the first half and created a few good chances. Conceded two sloppy goals. First in particular should have been cut out easily. 

Second half was kids against kids, but the lads out there did well.

Overall the players looked a bit sharper than usual for the first game back. 

Evident that we need some creativity desperately.

6 hours ago, Sibdane said:

He's had a lot of hype around him from the ITKs. Frank seems to rate him too. 

Mate watches Tranmere all over. Very clued up on players, really rated the lad. Basically was their midfield, got a bit of everything, far too good for their level.  Bare in mind many lads Warringtons age struggle with the physicality of that league, he stood out a mile. 

Overall I was disappointed with last nights performance although there were some positives. Nothing new though and all the same issues from last season. I can't see any training that's had any effect on the issues from last season. 

Main points for me were:

1) With the players we have 5 at the back simply doesn't work. The fullbacks don't push up, we end up with a flat back 5 and the only way we can get the ball up front is a long ball as the midfield are outnumbered.

2) Nkounkou and Holgate can't defend - they simply aren't good enough for Everton or even the premiership. I think they both have the ability, but the brains needed to know where you should be positioning yourself, awareness of where the oppostion are and not getting caught ball watching and losing your man. They seem to have no ability to be able to improve in this area and repeat this same mistake time and time again.

3) Deli can't play in that formation and simply is lazy and poor and tracking back (I would have expected top see a big change here for me - but no evidence whatsoever from last night) . To me he can only play one role and that the Cahill type Attacking Midfielder role. Plays down the middle, not on the wing at all, joins late in the box. If you're playing 5 at the back, there is no role for him.

4) Our central midfield is just...... so shocking it's not true. I don't think any of the 4 central midfielders that played, made a forward pass. Warrington may have made a few early in the second half. The first half was dreadful in this area. Sideways and backwards only in the first half. Both Dacoure and and Davies alwatys received the ball with their back to the opposition goal, never on the half turn, never picked out a forward pass to Deli, Gray or DCL. This was in part that both Gray and Deli were always standing behind Arsenal player, not finding space to receive a ball etc.

5) Gordon and Iwobi showed they are a class above Gray and Deli. If only Iwobi could cross, he would be a world beater in this new found form of his. Both of them transformed the attack in the second half, turning their player, running at players. Just the final ball letting them down. Well that and talentless, headless chicken Rondon was  ahead of them. ROndon put the effort in to be fair, but he's just got nowhere near enough quality about him.

6) Tarkowski was awesome. Leadership personified, barking positional orders. Made sure he rectified the one mistake he made. Showed the rest of our defenders how it should be done and definitely what we've been missing. Played well with Keane, although Keane did make his usual switch off mistake and got caught the wrong side of the attacker on a couple of occasions.

7) Micky was also fantastic at left back. If he gets injured, we're screwed at left back.

8. I thought all the young lads were fantastic. Really impressed with Stanley Mills (thought he played better than Patterson at RB). 

Overall, nothing new really learnt. We desperately need a complete new Centre Midfield and a back-up striker. I don't understand where Deli fits our team in terms of role. We are f**ked if we have a few key injuries next season as we have no squad depth at all.

Didn’t expect much from this and by the looks of the highlights it was about that.

3 at the back is tricky, you need the right kind of defenders for it and I don’t think we have them. Mina, Tarkowski & Keane all can probably only play that central spot due to their lack of mobility. We also don’t have 2 midfielders capable of locking down the middle. 

Regardless, I hope Lampard finds something that works and we settle on it. 

3 hours ago, Trigger said:

Overall I was disappointed with last nights performance although there were some positives. Nothing new though and all the same issues from last season. I can't see any training that's had any effect on the issues from last season. 

Main points for me were:

1) With the players we have 5 at the back simply doesn't work. The fullbacks don't push up, we end up with a flat back 5 and the only way we can get the ball up front is a long ball as the midfield are outnumbered.

2) Nkounkou and Holgate can't defend - they simply aren't good enough for Everton or even the premiership. I think they both have the ability, but the brains needed to know where you should be positioning yourself, awareness of where the oppostion are and not getting caught ball watching and losing your man. They seem to have no ability to be able to improve in this area and repeat this same mistake time and time again.

3) Deli can't play in that formation and simply is lazy and poor and tracking back (I would have expected top see a big change here for me - but no evidence whatsoever from last night) . To me he can only play one role and that the Cahill type Attacking Midfielder role. Plays down the middle, not on the wing at all, joins late in the box. If you're playing 5 at the back, there is no role for him.

4) Our central midfield is just...... so shocking it's not true. I don't think any of the 4 central midfielders that played, made a forward pass. Warrington may have made a few early in the second half. The first half was dreadful in this area. Sideways and backwards only in the first half. Both Dacoure and and Davies alwatys received the ball with their back to the opposition goal, never on the half turn, never picked out a forward pass to Deli, Gray or DCL. This was in part that both Gray and Deli were always standing behind Arsenal player, not finding space to receive a ball etc.

5) Gordon and Iwobi showed they are a class above Gray and Deli. If only Iwobi could cross, he would be a world beater in this new found form of his. Both of them transformed the attack in the second half, turning their player, running at players. Just the final ball letting them down. Well that and talentless, headless chicken Rondon was  ahead of them. ROndon put the effort in to be fair, but he's just got nowhere near enough quality about him.

6) Tarkowski was awesome. Leadership personified, barking positional orders. Made sure he rectified the one mistake he made. Showed the rest of our defenders how it should be done and definitely what we've been missing. Played well with Keane, although Keane did make his usual switch off mistake and got caught the wrong side of the attacker on a couple of occasions.

7) Micky was also fantastic at left back. If he gets injured, we're screwed at left back.

8. I thought all the young lads were fantastic. Really impressed with Stanley Mills (thought he played better than Patterson at RB). 

Overall, nothing new really learnt. We desperately need a complete new Centre Midfield and a back-up striker. I don't understand where Deli fits our team in terms of role. We are f**ked if we have a few key injuries next season as we have no squad depth at all.

I can't comment about the 2nd half but I agree with everything you have said about the first.

Our midfield being outnumbered was a huge problem. Doucoure and Davies werent really sure whether to drop or press, the centre backs were the same and it just created space for the Arsenal players. Although when our two did press, Arsenal on the whole could easily play through them with a quick bit of movement. 

Regarding the defending of Holgate and Niels, I would completely agree but I also have big concerns about Godfrey. He was all over the shop and he just doesnt look alert enough. There is a switch inside him that needs to be flicked because he isnt getting the most out of his talent.

I have the same concerns about Alli too. He is one of those players that falls in the game changer / liability category and there is very little middle ground. I also don't like the way you see him sulking around at the other players, instead of giving them better instruction. He plays like he has a chip on his shoulder but rather than spur him on, it weighs him down.

15 hours ago, Trigger said:

Main points for me were:

Was at the match and pretty much agree with all of this.

Warrington was probably my stand out youth player though.  Was always looking for the ball.  Also, constantly moving when he didn't have it to get into better positions.  Wasn't a perfect performance from him but miles better than the other 3 that played in that position (Gbamin, Doucs, and Davies).

On 17/07/2022 at 10:31, Trigger said:

Main points for me were:

A pretty fair assessment. 

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It's Matchday here in Minnesota! Gonna look a right fool in all the Everton/MNUFC gear I'll be sporting. Scarves for both sides, hats for both sides, but only wearing the blue kit tonight 😎

Enjoy it mate!

Hope we start to see an indication of who’s going to play and how we are going to play. Would like to see what Lampard thinks is his stronger XI for the first half.