Jump to content

2022-2023 season - Preparation


Recommended Posts

Probably the biggest pre season/transfer window we will have seen for some time. 
 

A fair few players to come off the books like tosun, Delph, Iceland = £300k ish.

Mina likely to be sold as in last year of contract who along with Richarlison, Allan also have 1 year left.  
 

gomes likely to be sold as he isn’t good enough. There’s £700k a week with £90m in transfer fees if we sold all players with one year remaining. 
 

thought I’d open this thread as I’m clearly wired! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Probably the biggest pre season/transfer window we will have seen for some time. 
 

A fair few players to come off the books like tosun, Delph, Iceland = £300k ish.

Mina likely to be sold as in last year of contract who along with Richarlison, Allan also have 1 year left.  
 

gomes likely to be sold as he isn’t good enough. There’s £700k a week with £90m in transfer fees if we sold all players with one year remaining. 
 

thought I’d open this thread as I’m clearly wired! 

I like the thinking, but as is always the case, let's not get ahead of ourselves thinking we'll be able to offload everyone we want to. We will undoubtedly have players around next season who we don't want to see, either because Frank sees something in them or because no team comes in for them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I like the thinking, but as is always the case, let's not get ahead of ourselves thinking we'll be able to offload everyone we want to. We will undoubtedly have players around next season who we don't want to see, either because Frank sees something in them or because no team comes in for them

Also got the £30m for moise kean to come in. 
 

we need attitude and athleticism.  I’m optimistic that Patterson will be a great inclusion at right back.   We need a commanding centre half (tarkowski or mee) to partner godfrey as a pacey partner. 
 

be interesting to see the young lads on the periphery and whether price, Lewis Warrington, dobbin can step up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we need to brace ourselves for an overhaul. 

coleman - retirement

delph/gylfi/tosun...maybe Townsend released

mina/Richie/Gomes sold...maybe Allan also.

we prob won't replace them with high end players but numbers. Hopefully players who will graft but also have a bit of ability on the ball.

realistic expectations is what we need as a fan base but I for one look forward to Frank and his superb coaching team getting a full pre season with this lot.

appreciate that mass departures is disruptive but I think we need a reset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd agree Matt.  I heard this being talked about on the radio the other day with Newcastle.  So far Howe has done a good job bringing in the players that Newcastle needed at the time without making mass disruptive changes.  They'd do well to carry that on in the summer and not go mad.

We saw it when Koeman brought in Klassen, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Keane, Pickford amongst others.  There was too much change and it didn't really come together.

I'd never even considered Pickford going until I saw someone mention it on Twitter the other day, hopefully he doesn't go, he's a vital player for us and has saved us so many times this season.  His assuredness in the box also brings a lot to the defence if only we'd had a reliable defence week in week out.

I'd really like to see Richarlison stay and to be honest I'm not sure I see one of the big clubs really paying out big for him, he does some good stuff, has amazing passion and work rate but he certainly has his flaws especially his wastefulness in front of goal at times.  I think in a team that are creating more chances he'd probably perform better but depends if the big clubs really believe that.  I believe he'd like to stay but equally he wants to be in high performing team competing in Europe, with the World Cup coming up soon he just needs to weigh up whether a move will end up improving or decrease his chances of getting there.

DCL I'd lke to stay but I'd let him go over Richarlison, he seems like he may want to leave and if that is the case then best get the price for him as we can and move on.  We need to make sure we get a good (not old) replacement who fits in with how Frank wants us to play.  We can't be left with no proper striker or Rondon leading the line in the new season!  It would be good to see Dobbin getting a chance if he's up to it but that needs to be behind someone of quality.

Sadly for all his quality I'd let Mina go if we can get a reasonable fee for him.  He just can't stay fit enough to be relied on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not bracing myself for mass change, I actively want it.

We're a mish mash of a squad and it'll work massively in our favour to have a squad that the manager wants. We'll be so much more cohesive. So I'm hoping we can do a lot of business this summer and have a very different looking squad come August.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, the biggest change needs to come at the back. We need better defenders!

Coleman, Keane, Holgate can't be first choice.

I honestly think it's detrimental to the rest of the team knowing how likely we are to fuck up at the back. Get that back wall built strong n reliable and I think that alone will make a big difference to how we play. It especially enables more freedom going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still high on the excitement of last night, but here’s my thoughts knowing we don’t have huge amount of money to play with.

 

Frank builds his squad around

Pickford, Mykolenko, Alli, Richy, DCL, Gordon Iwobi

 

Players to keep but need to see more

Patterson, Godfrey, Branthwaite, Davies, Gray,

 

Players to keep but see less of

Coleman - purely to mentor the younger players 

 

Never want to see them in an Everton Shirt again.

Gomes - last night proof if ever needed

Delph - Thanks for the past few games, but we need players who are fit more often than not.

Mina - Fitness always a concern, need a CB who plays week on week out with his partner.

Rondon - no just no.

Gbamin - unlucky never worked for him

Kean - Wrong attitude

Allan - Has had some good moments but legs have gone, need players with 90 mins energy.

 

If they go they go can be replaced 

JJK - squad player at best who can play a few positions when needed.

Keane - not mobile enough, has been good last few games, could form good partnership with more athletic CB

Holgate - has improved under Frank, seems to have lost the arrogant attitude leading to mistakes.

Doucoure - Awful at times, brilliant at others the former seems to be more frequent.

Townsend - Gave some memorable moments, and some games passed him by, doubt we will get any money for him after his injury.

 

On loan players

DVB - haven’t seen enough, doubt he will want stay anyhow

El Ghazi - who?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FairWooney said:


I'd really like to see Richarlison stay

 

I’m with you. He’s not always the easiest to watch, but he’s a player capable of creating a goal from nothing. He’s a pest, and the opposition have to hate playing against him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Due summer 2023 that.

I think they are trying to rid the second year loan and bring forward the transfer. Not sure if that benefits us from a profit and loss perspective… we need to get fresh bodies in urgently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think they are trying to rid the second year loan and bring forward the transfer. Not sure if that benefits us from a profit and loss perspective… we need to get fresh bodies in urgently. 

Juve said they wanted to re-negotiate and we said no, they're not going to be doing us any favours in the circumstances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think Richy is gone.  Wants to challenge for trophies and we're rebuilding again.  Fair play to him, he dug deep for us and we wouldn't have survived without him.

Would probably keep DCL unless a stupid ($50m+) offer is forthcoming, rather than lose both he and Richy in the 1 year.

I'd also cash in on Pickford while his currency is as high as it is.  Bring in a cheaper, gun, young keeper from a foreign league.

Hopefully we've given up on trying to buy our way up the table, can reset and build properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DownUnderToff said:

Think Richy is gone.  Wants to challenge for trophies and we're rebuilding again.  Fair play to him, he dug deep for us and we wouldn't have survived without him.

Would probably keep DCL unless a stupid ($50m+) offer is forthcoming, rather than lose both he and Richy in the 1 year.

I'd also cash in on Pickford while his currency is as high as it is.  Bring in a cheaper, gun, young keeper from a foreign league.

Hopefully we've given up on trying to buy our way up the table, can reset and build properly.

Either he signs a new deal, or he goes, we cant let his contract expire, question is who comes in for him, Premier League I cant see any team in the top 6 coming for him, from abroad it wont be any club from Spain, I cany see Juve, or Milan, PSG will keep Mbape so who?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first thing that Lampard and Co will need to work out is how they want to play. I presume he will want to play more on the front foot, and if he does, that will require a lot of change. 

If he wants to build on our style of play more gradually then I think you will still see many of the same faces playing a part, unless a good offer comes in for them. 

For example it sounds like he would like to keep Delph for another season. I can't see him wanting to lose Mina either as he has spoken about his character a lot. IMO they are the type of unreliable, expensive players that need to go. You can include Gomes in that list too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, London Blue said:

Either he signs a new deal, or he goes, we cant let his contract expire, question is who comes in for him, Premier League I cant see any team in the top 6 coming for him, from abroad it wont be any club from Spain, I cany see Juve, or Milan, PSG will keep Mbape so who?

Rumoured interest from Bayern, which is a bit concerning as they never pay much.

Why are you ruling out Spain?  Hopefully Ancelotti does us a favour and overpays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Throw the kitchen sink at Gallagher and pick up Tarkowski (sp?) on a free and the team would look better instantly. 
After that it’s a case of replacing who leaves where required.
Hungry players though please, not just mercenaries.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

The first thing that Lampard and Co will need to work out is how they want to play. I presume he will want to play more on the front foot, and if he does, that will require a lot of change. 

If he wants to build on our style of play more gradually then I think you will still see many of the same faces playing a part, unless a good offer comes in for them. 

For example it sounds like he would like to keep Delph for another season. I can't see him wanting to lose Mina either as he has spoken about his character a lot. IMO they are the type of unreliable, expensive players that need to go. You can include Gomes in that list too. 

I agree, we might have to navigate a period of inconsistent results and performances, but for the right reasons. A team rebuild, but its going to have to be on a bit of a shoe string budget for the next couple of year as we get in line our FFP and get ourseleves in to our new home.

I would like to see us move for Eddie Nketiah, who is out of contract and is hungrey for first team footballs, he would get that with us with either Richie or Dom or both moving on.

Nketiah would be a decent addition to the front line up, freeing up funds for the midfeild, which I think needs a compleate overhaul. 

On mix of age, injury profile and quality I dont see Allan, Doucoure, Delph, Gomes nor Davies driving this team forward. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, StevO said:

Throw the kitchen sink at Gallagher and pick up Tarkowski (sp?) on a free and the team would look better instantly. 
After that it’s a case of replacing who leaves where required.
Hungry players though please, not just mercenaries.  

Yeah, Gallagher would be top of my list, but dont see he leaving Cheslea other than on a loan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Throw the kitchen sink at Gallagher and pick up Tarkowski (sp?) on a free and the team would look better instantly. 
After that it’s a case of replacing who leaves where required.
Hungry players though please, not just mercenaries.  

What about Ben Mee?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Rumoured interest from Bayern, which is a bit concerning as they never pay much.

Why are you ruling out Spain?  Hopefully Ancelotti does us a favour and overpays.

Barca cant afford him, Real Madrid will only take Mbappe, or someone of similar status and Athletico would probably go for Raphiana from Leeds.  I can't see any other Spanish team affording him or having a chance of winning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d sell a lot of players - some controversial:

Pickford - peak price this summer in my opinion

Mina - best cb but wages far too high for what he brings

Holgate or Keane (even both) - done well recently but we need better

Allan - need to get something back for him this summer

Gbamin - may be a good time to sell on the back of regular playing time at CSKA

Doucoure - as Allan but not as desperately 

Gomes - not good enough

Simms - sell on the back of that loan spell

Richarlison - new contract with big release clause or sell

DCL - for the right price but only £50m plus

Rondon - no reason needed

That makes for a busy summer!!! I think Tarkowski is a no brainer when you consider Lampard wanted him at Chelsea - I think we actually need 2 centre backs. I love the idea of Gallagher on-loan and would ask about Broja too (maybe Colwill, Gilmour or Ampadu) on a low purchase/buy-back deal. Nketia could be an interesting option in we could get him on a free. Lewis O’Brien and Brennan Johnson are players I like from the Championship - NDiaye at Sheff Utd looks a player too. My wildcard is Zinchenko though - think he’d flourish here in a more advanced position and offer decent versatility too.

Left-footed is high on the priority list for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I’d sell a lot of players - some controversial:

Pickford - peak price this summer in my opinion

Mina - best cb but wages far too high for what he brings

Holgate or Keane (even both) - done well recently but we need better

Allan - need to get something back for him this summer

Gbamin - may be a good time to sell on the back of regular playing time at CSKA

Doucoure - as Allan but not as desperately 

Gomes - not good enough

Simms - sell on the back of that loan spell

Richarlison - new contract with big release clause or sell

DCL - for the right price but only £50m plus

Rondon - no reason needed

That makes for a busy summer!!! I think Tarkowski is a no brainer when you consider Lampard wanted him at Chelsea - I think we actually need 2 centre backs. I love the idea of Gallagher on-loan and would ask about Broja too (maybe Colwill, Gilmour or Ampadu) on a low purchase/buy-back deal. Nketia could be an interesting option in we could get him on a free. Lewis O’Brien and Brennan Johnson are players I like from the Championship - NDiaye at Sheff Utd looks a player too. My wildcard is Zinchenko though - think he’d flourish here in a more advanced position and offer decent versatility too.

Left-footed is high on the priority list for me.

I agree with all except for Simms.  Either keep (I have hope), or Loan into Championship.  Preference is to keep, I want multiple, hungry, young attacking options and I think he has the natural striking ability that we want to develop long term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

Mina is not our best fucking CB! He doesn't play, ergo he's useless! Cracking personality, useless player. 

 

I have to agree, Mina being in and out has led to lots of chopping and changing. Yes, we do better when he is in the side, but pay for it as soon as he is out again, which has been a lot. I think if we had Keane and Holgate or even Godfrey as a pairing playing every game together better partnership will have developed. So over a whole season, defensively we would just be more consistent. 

I must admit I do like Mina, he looks like a real character and a fun guy to have around.

Shame he seems to pick up little niggly injuries so easy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

Mina is not our best fucking CB! He doesn't play, ergo he's useless! Cracking personality, useless player. 

 

When he plays, he’s our best CB by a mile - maybe our most important player hence why we’ve been so poor this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, c1982 said:

When he plays, he’s our best CB by a mile - maybe our most important player hence why we’ve been so poor this season.

He can't even finish a game when he starts most of the time. Pretty sure he's cost us a sub within 30 mins twice this season and has been missing for 80% of the other games. IF he could stay fit you would have a point. But he can't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He can't even finish a game when he starts most of the time. Pretty sure he's cost us a sub within 30 mins twice this season and has been missing for 80% of the other games. IF he could stay fit you would have a point. But he can't. 

Hence - ‘when he plays’ - because he doesn’t play enough for what we pay him, I’d sell him. That was the point all along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Is that really when Dom header went in? ball seems too high to me.

That said, I think someone said it in the match thread the reason Gallagher didn't play from the start was possibly his loyalties to Frank. 

I said that yeah.  The stress over relegation made me look at all sorts of things.

Lampard is Gallaghers idol. Plus Joe Edwards also has a great relationship with Gallagher from working with him as a youth player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Bailey said:

I would be very hesitant in picking up any Burnley defenders unless we intend to sit deep and compact next season.

Glad someone said. Both are good defenders but only play in deep block and I think the first 10 games or so of next season Frank will want to implement his style on the team.

First and foremost we need to clear out the players mentioned above.

2 quality, first team centre backs. Godfrey can be third choice or maybe first choice depending on how we recruit with Branthwaite 4th. Or loan Branthwaite and have Holgate cover.

Coleman & Iwobi can back up the right back spot but it has to be Patterson predominately.

We need a real quality midfielder- I was hoping DVB might be that but we haven’t seen enough of him so who knows.

A proper back up striker is a must who can come on and be a threat.

Ultimately we need to move on the sick notes and have a competitive group of 16 players who are reliable and first team quality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Matt said:

He can't even finish a game when he starts most of the time. Pretty sure he's cost us a sub within 30 mins twice this season and has been missing for 80% of the other games. IF he could stay fit you would have a point. But he can't. 

Big fan of his but can’t agree enough. His lack of reliability is as bad for the team if not worse than Keane’s inconsistency. I’d actually keep Keane over him but in no way shape or form as a starter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, StevO said:

Out of Mina, Keane, Godfrey and Holgate I’d be shocked if anyone other than Mina was sold. 
I expect a new centre half to arrive, with any of the other three being their partner. 

I agree, Mina is expensive in terms of wages, and too injury prone for the league, he will have suitors and free up cash. Holgate is still young and over the end of the season started to fulfill his promise, Godfrey is also young and has all the attributes to be a top defender.  Lampard is good at developing young players and I believe he can improve them.

Keane is steady, and with a commanding centre back continue be a good player for us. Our midfield needs major surgery and money is needed to be spent there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I agree, Mina is expensive in terms of wages, and too injury prone for the league, he will have suitors and free up cash. Holgate is still young and over the end of the season started to fulfill his promise, Godfrey is also young and has all the attributes to be a top defender.  Lampard is good at developing young players and I believe he can improve them.

Keane is steady, and with a commanding centre back continue be a good player for us. Our midfield needs major surgery and money is needed to be spent there.

I’d be quite happy if next season our defence looked like this;

Patterson, Coleman

Mykolenko, Nkounku

Tarkowski, Keane, Holgate, Godfrey, Branthwaite 

 

Enough cover & experience. Can play deep or high up. Play in a four or a five. And importantly, it doesn’t cost a penny in transfer fees but brings in money from Mina to fund the midfield. (I’m not even getting into how happy I would be to offset Mina for Gallagher as that’s what dreams are made of)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, StevO said:

I’d be quite happy if next season our defence looked like this;

Patterson, Coleman

Mykolenko, Nkounku

Tarkowski, Keane, Holgate, Godfrey, Branthwaite 

 

Enough cover & experience. Can play deep or high up. Play in a four or a five. And importantly, it doesn’t cost a penny in transfer fees but brings in money from Mina to fund the midfield. (I’m not even getting into how happy I would be to offset Mina for Gallagher as that’s what dreams are made of)

There’s just far too many question marks over those centre backs though. Tarkowski is decent but there’s serious question marks over if he can play anything other than a deep block. 

Keane, Holgate & Godfrey have all had horrible, inexcusable moments so I think one of them will go. Most likely Keane or Holgate - I really think we need 2 reliable centre backs in otherwise we can easily find ourselves fighting relegation next season.

Ultimately we need to find another 15/18 points to be over the season to be competitive. It starts with our defence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect one of Richarlison and DCL to be sold. There’s a possibility of both depending on our finances and most importantly them as players. Someone may also come in for Pickford. 

I expect Mina to see out his contract as well as Allan. Who are both capable players. We will need experience and leadership in the dressing room. Both offer this. 

Gomes must be sold a long with Tom Davies both not good enough. There’s also an argument for Keane to be put up for sale as his performances are not consistent and a lot of the time hugely costly. 
 

Sigurddsson, Delph and Tosun will be released. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Btay said:

There’s just far too many question marks over those centre backs though. Tarkowski is decent but there’s serious question marks over if he can play anything other than a deep block. 

Keane, Holgate & Godfrey have all had horrible, inexcusable moments so I think one of them will go. Most likely Keane or Holgate - I really think we need 2 reliable centre backs in otherwise we can easily find ourselves fighting relegation next season.

Ultimately we need to find another 15/18 points to be over the season to be competitive. It starts with our defence

I don’t disagree with your opinion, but if any of Keane, Holgate or Godfrey go I’d be shocked. You really think any of them would go or just wishful thinking? 😂
 

If we have two centre halves like Keane and Tarkowski who can play deep and Godfrey and Holgate who can play further up and have pace then we have options to change depending on the situation at hand. 

As much as wholesale changes would be nice we also don’t have a lot of money to spend. We won’t be bringing in two new starting centre backs. We can’t afford to do that and sort out the midfield. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, StevO said:

I don’t disagree with your opinion, but if any of Keane, Holgate or Godfrey go I’d be shocked. You really think any of them would go or just wishful thinking? 😂
 

If we have two centre halves like Keane and Tarkowski who can play deep and Godfrey and Holgate who can play further up and have pace then we have options to change depending on the situation at hand. 

As much as wholesale changes would be nice we also don’t have a lot of money to spend. We won’t be bringing in two new starting centre backs. We can’t afford to do that and sort out the midfield. 

I think Keane or Holgate could be an attractive acquisition for a promoted team or even an Italian mid table team. Frank seemed to only rely on Keane when we were short of numbers towards the end there so who knows.

My point is though 3 of those have showed themselves to all be incredibly inconsistent & unreliable. We only just got away with it this year, running the same personal is a huge, huge risk imo.

I don’t know the exact ins and outs of our budget/finances but we’ve not  net spent a lot on transfers the last few windows and we could very well see a chunk of wages go in the summer. If we can somehow sell Mina - his fee plus wages could get a £20 mil defender + maybe a loan similar to how we got Zouma or free agent/expiring contract. I just feel we really need to sign a proper, out and out defender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The season ended yesterday and it's taken a lot out of me so I'm not even thinking about this stuff yet. I hope Thelwell and Lampard have been doing more than thinking about it though and have been working behind the scenes on things for both eventualities (a list of players for if we were relegated and a list for if we survived - maybe even having sounded out a few on these lists), but I'm going to think about Everton as little as possible for a bit and, tbh, this sort of chat would wind me up a bit at the moment :lol:.

You lot have fun though 😛.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think you are right - we need a summer break as well this season. 

In the long term this season could be seen as a watershed moment. We avoided relegation by a very slim margin. If this was not a rude awakening for the board and owners that they need to stop fucking around and let football people run the football side then nothing ever will. let us hope the penny has finally dropped.

I think we need to stop being obsessed with top6 and European football for a while (chucking big wages at players simply does not work - period) - I think we need to put faith in the Branthwaithe's of this world and allow a season, two or even three for a team of talented young guns to develop together. We should develop ourselves as the club where the best young players want to come to - because they will be trusted and play. A lot of the top footballing talent in the country is going to Germany so they can play. 

Progression for me is seeing a young team coming together and growing, even if it is mid table mediocrity for a few years - There is nothing wrong with the clubs saying this - "be patient we want the new regime to get a young group of talent together and build from this". Us fans are intelligent enough to understand this and get behind it. 

Signing Mikolenko and Patterson is hopefully the start of this. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Progression for me is seeing a young team coming together and growing, even if it is mid table mediocrity for a few years - There is nothing wrong with the clubs saying this - "be patient we want the new regime to get a young group of talent together and build from this". Us fans are intelligent enough to understand this and get behind it. 

I’d be happy with this, Frank doesn’t have that much experience as a manager yet, but does come across as a decent bloke, and was a great player, I think that he could good in bringing in some young ambitious players who would want to play under him.

I would like to see us keep a framework of key players Pickford, Richie, DCL, and add to them with a mix of above, plus a couple of experienced Tarkovski springs to mind, players to help bind the team over the next couple of season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think any of us saw Lampard as a relegation dodging specialist (al la fat Sam) when he came in, that was the biggest risk with him - he didn't have the relegation dog fight experience on his CV he was seen more as a potential builder of a young team based on possession based football, football we want to watch and something we can actually get behind and enjoy on a weekly. Risk was the timing of his appointment.

He has managed to get us over the line, so he has managed to negotiate what was potentially the highest risk part of his appointment. Now he has 4 month high pressure experience of this squad going in to his first transfer window proper and pre season - to try and build the foundations of his team. I imagine Lampard and his coaching staff have learn so much in this past 4 months about this club and squad, so to this extent the 'risk' of employing him in January (over s short term get us out of the shit specialist) has actually paid off. 

He has be able to have a dabble at playing more expansive and possession based football in high pressure games - the coaching staff how have a good knowledge of players strengths and weaknesses and where need strengthening, rather than a perceived knowledge you get from watching from afar.  We are in a much better position than bring in a new manager in June or July while the playing squad are away on holiday and giving him the purse strings to improve the squad. This also applied to also having Thelwall in place for a few months and working with the coaching staff.

This half season has also resulted in a genuine bond going on between Lampard and the Everton fans - its been a tough few months on everybody, and I somehow feel we have battled through it together. 

 Given the diabolical state of the club at the beginning of January - I feel surprisingly optimistic now the season from hell is finally over.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MC11 said:

I expect one of Richarlison and DCL to be sold. There’s a possibility of both depending on our finances and most importantly them as players. Someone may also come in for Pickford. 

I expect Mina to see out his contract as well as Allan. Who are both capable players. We will need experience and leadership in the dressing room. Both offer this. 

Gomes must be sold a long with Tom Davies both not good enough. There’s also an argument for Keane to be put up for sale as his performances are not consistent and a lot of the time hugely costly. 
 

Sigurddsson, Delph and Tosun will be released. 

Agree with all of this. I'm hoping we'll keep Richarlison (he seems very grateful to the club for allowing him time to play for Brazil), but we'll see.

For the previous two seasons, I suggested replacing Pickford first with Dean Henderson and last season with Aaron Ramsdale. Looking back, we've gained by keeping Pickford, and I was wrong. Now, though, he's at the peak of his form, soon to play in the World Cup, etc. Is there a case to sell and bring in Nick Pope, with a young backup?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Agree with all of this. I'm hoping we'll keep Richarlison (he seems very grateful to the club for allowing him time to play for Brazil), but we'll see.

For the previous two seasons, I suggested replacing Pickford first with Dean Henderson and last season with Aaron Ramsdale. Looking back, we've gained by keeping Pickford, and I was wrong. Now, though, he's at the peak of his form, soon to play in the World Cup, etc. Is there a case to sell and bring in Nick Pope, with a young backup?

Not sure we need to waste funds on a backup as we already have Begovic, Crellin (who we just brought in Jan.), and Tyrer.  Plus we still have Joao Virginia on the books.  Hopefully Lonergan will be let go (what a waste).   That is a lot of goalkeepers.  If a backup was brought in, we would need to clear a lot of those out.  We need pathways from our youth teams to advance or what is the point of having those development teams? Not saying tons of players will make that step up but we need to stop repeating past mistakes.  Hoping Thelwell will correct this.

Would like to keep Pickford but would understand if he was sold.  Pope would be a good shout but wonder if Burnley will want the moon for him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Pope would be a good shout but wonder if Burnley will want the moon for him?

From us , yes after yesterday’s outcome😁they will try and fleece us, and they would probably want a similar price from other clubs as we would get for Pickford 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...