IGNORED

2022-2023 season - Preparation

So much to do with no money to do it with, it’s going to be a very tough summer transfer window for Frank I think we will end up with couple of out of contract’s a couple of buys and a couple of loans. Hopefully this will be financed with the sales and wages of Mina, Allan, Holgate, Gomes, and Kenny, then possibly DCL and Keane if the right offer was made, and the wages of Delph, Gylfi, Tosun, and Elgharzy. 

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

So much to do with no money to do it with, it’s going to be a very tough summer transfer window for Frank I think we will end up with couple of out of contract’s a couple of buys and a couple of loans. Hopefully this will be financed with the sales and wages of Mina, Allan, Holgate, Gomes, and Kenny, then possibly DCL and Keane if the right offer was made, and the wages of Delph, Gylfi, Tosun, and Elgharzy. 

Will it though? I've been thinking about this and I'm not as convinced as I was a week ago. 

Absolutely need a new starting RB, CM and CB as it stands now. Assuming no one is sold, then where else needs an immediate major upgrade? LB is covered, wings we've got 3-4 capable players, forward we've got DCL with Richarlison as backup if needed, keeper sorted... 

If key players are sold, then obviously those positions need filling again. But, as it stands, 3 solid signings/loans would bring a lot of stability. 4 big wages are leaving on a free from players who don't contribute anyway, and if we could get rid of the other players that have all the potential and high wages but never play (Mina and Gomes primarily) that'll work towards improving the books too. 

So many of our goals conceded were individual errors, that's a mental thing and can he addressed with the right approach - Frank seems to be doing well on that front. A full summer, no weight of a relegation fight on the players minds, competent management... We may not need the surgery I thought we did.

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

Will it though? I've been thinking about this and I'm not as convinced as I was a week ago. 

Absolutely need a new starting RB, CM and CB as it stands now. Assuming no one is sold, then where else needs an immediate major upgrade? LB is covered, wings we've got 3-4 capable players, forward we've got DCL with Richarlison as backup if needed, keeper sorted... 

If key players are sold, then obviously those positions need filling again. But, as it stands, 3 solid signings/loans would bring a lot of stability. 4 big wages are leaving on a free from players who don't contribute anyway, and if we could get rid of the other players that have all the potential and high wages but never play (Mina and Gomes primarily) that'll work towards improving the books too. 

So many of our goals conceded were individual errors, that's a mental thing and can he addressed with the right approach - Frank seems to be doing well on that front. A full summer, no weight of a relegation fight on the players minds, competent management... We may not need the surgery I thought we did.

I agree that individually we have some good players but as a collective we struggle to gel, Frank learned that they couldn’t play the way he wanted them to so changed his tactics to suit their abilities which had the desired effects of keeping us up but won’t improve us next season. It’s a tough one for many reasons but to be fair with a lot of players on big wages leaving as we have mentioned and maybe the 2 or 3 moving on I’m quite excited to see where this transfer window takes us, Everton are a big club and Frank should be a big draw with players things in my head are looking a whole lot better. 

35 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree that individually we have some good players but as a collective we struggle to gel, Frank learned that they couldn’t play the way he wanted them to so changed his tactics to suit their abilities which had the desired effects of keeping us up but won’t improve us next season. It’s a tough one for many reasons but to be fair with a lot of players on big wages leaving as we have mentioned and maybe the 2 or 3 moving on I’m quite excited to see where this transfer window takes us, Everton are a big club and Frank should be a big draw with players things in my head are looking a whole lot better. 

Getting them to work collectively will be the same challenge with or without big changes. Then the other argument could be that confidence drops if there's mass change. I'm torn to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Sidibe out of contract, surely if we supply shin pads he will sign.

On 23/05/2022 at 10:51, RuffRob said:

Think you are right - we need a summer break as well this season.

Nor forgetting the manager, coaching and rest of staff at Finch Farm. I'd like to think that they can switch off with their families and recharge their batteries ready for our reset.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm hoping Matt just got LB and RB mixed up, because we're absolutely not covered at LB and don't need a new starting RB.

Didn't get mixed up. We've got a starting LB and worst case a backup or 2. We do not have a starting RB (we've seen nothing from the new kid, Kenny isn't a starter and Coleman has to be phased out)

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Didn't get mixed up. We've got a starting LB and worst case a backup or 2. We do not have a starting RB (we've seen nothing from the new kid, Kenny isn't a starter and Coleman has to be phased out)

I would like to see somebody like Ainsley Maitland Niles coming to the club. He is going in to the last year of his Arsenal contract and we are a club who have reached out to him already, he can provide cover at both RB and LB, and is not to shabby in the middle of the park either. I think he would be a great replacement for Delph - and could easily carve himself at starting place in our team if he performed and at worst would be a very good squad player. He has got a lot of experience already, does not appear to be injury prone and will be at around our budget. Know for having a bit of pace and energy. 

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

Godfrey and Kenny are not back ups a LB, stop it. This is why I wanted to stay out of this thread and look at me, caught up in it already and losing my mind :lol:.

Think we need a CB and a DM before we can even look at LB and RB or attackers for that matter.  Why?

How many seasons in a row have we alllll been moaning about the mistakes that Keane and Holgate make? (If those two are our starting pair for the season then we are in trouble.)  Mina is always injured. The jury is still out on Godfrey and Braithwaite is so raw.  This position has been an absolute mess since Jags and Zouma departed the club and it wasn't perfect even then. Multi-season issue that needs addressing.

Also with Delph leaving, Gbamin exiled, Allan really not suited to just sitting as he likes to run about we do not have a defensive midfielder at the club. Another big issue as our current CBs need protecting and maybe slightly less if we solve the first.

If these two issues aren't addressed, then goals will be flying in.  Pickford can only do so much.  Everyone is strengthening and we do not want to be in this mess again.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Godfrey and Kenny are not back ups a LB, stop it. This is why I wanted to stay out of this thread and look at me, caught up in it already and losing my mind :lol:.

Godfrey did quite well at LB, and I did mention cover. I meant Nkounou as the other option but no idea how to spell his name :P

14 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

But he's not cover 😒. Please, for my sanity! You're just missing the one letter from it - Nkounkou - so not too bad ;).

But he has proven to be. Not the best I grant you but he did the job. 

I honestly just typed random letters I thought were close so I'll take missing a K :lol:

On 23/05/2022 at 08:53, StevO said:

I don’t disagree with your opinion, but if any of Keane, Holgate or Godfrey go I’d be shocked. You really think any of them would go or just wishful thinking? 😂

If we have two centre halves like Keane and Tarkowski who can play deep and Godfrey and Holgate who can play further up and have pace then we have options to change depending on the situation at hand. 

As much as wholesale changes would be nice we also don’t have a lot of money to spend. We won’t be bringing in two new starting centre backs. We can’t afford to do that and sort out the midfield. 

I would strongly disagree that Holgate can play higher up the pitch. He was a car crash, he needs loads of protection.

I think the last thing we need to do is bring in more defenders that can only defend when the team is heavily set up to protect them. 

Not only does that include most of our CBs but all of our RBs and our LB as well. I suspect Tarkowski would fall into that category too but he did do very well against us when it all got a bit open and scrappy. 

I think we need to be looking at a different profile of defender altogether because we have enough of the other type at the club already and like you have said before, I dont really see them going very far.

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/best-free-agents-this-summer-who-is-out-of-contract-in-2022/200270

Pogba , Bale and Rudiger might be out of our reach - but a long list of players.

How about a 30 year old Isco? Jesse Lingard looks to be about the pick of the crop - but he is going to be in demand. 

No way on Isco.  Some of the players on that list have already moved.

Ben Brereton-Diaz and maybe James Tarkowski might be the only ones I would look at on that list.  A lot of aging players on the list.  Need to learn from the mistakes of the past.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's really annoying or a dodged bullet, I have no idea which as I've never heard of the man.

22 goals in the Championship this past season.  Blackburn just missed out on the playoff places.  He starts for the Chilean national side.  About all you need to know.

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's really annoying or a dodged bullet, I have no idea which as I've never heard of the man.

He was an average at best player. Then stuck Diaz on the end of his name, got an international call up and started scoring goals. 
I’ve been into deed poll. Hoping Stevinho sees such improvements. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

No mention of Mina or Delph going. ?

6 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Apparently neither can pass a medical so not available for transfer 

Delph is out of contract, so unless we've lost our minds (again) then that won't matter with him.